email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 06:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DOG FOOD/WHATS THE BEST
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006, 22:21 

Hi all
just wondered what everyone feeds there pups/dogs
and what is best for them, in your opinion,Raw,Dried,Tinned :roll:
Apparently certain food is better for your dog/pup to stop them Shedding,to bring on better coats ,E.T.c. :roll:

My pup is going through a food phase at the moment,will eat it,wont eat it,will eat it ,wont eat it :( Anyone else been through this food fad,or do all pups/dogs go through this stage :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006, 23:41 

Hiya,

We have always fed our dogs on a complete dry food as this was reccommended to us by both breeders. For the last 18 months we have been using CSJ. I consider it to be excellent, as well as great value for money. They offer great service and if you phone them up they will give loads of advice. Their food also has a higher percentage of meat in it than many foods you see in pet shops. They also told me it is made in a factory where food for race horses is made, so there are really tight controls and they know exactly what goes into it. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post the website, if it's removed i'll know i wasn't! csjk9.com
As we hadn't heard of the company before we showed the leaflet to our vet who thought it looked good so we went ahead and ordered some and have never used anything else since. I think it was in Dogs Today magazine i first heard of them as they did a feature on it. If your dog is fussy tell them, as they will send you loads of generous sized samples. Also their treats are excellent for training, at our training class all the dog's wanted Evie's treats!

Have to say we have never had a problem with Evie being a fussy eater, she definately inherited the labrador appetite. Our Wheaten always used to be fussy though, but when we had Evie he soon learnt if he didn't eat it sharpish she'd have it!!! Not that i'm suggessting you buy another puppy or anything........ :lol:

Let me know if you decide to try csj!

Rachel

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2006, 00:11 

Hi

i have fed my 2x 8 month old pups on the barf diet since they were around 4 months and honestly the difference is unbelieveable - less agressive when playing, better coats, skin, poos, - everything !! i highly recommend it -and it is not as hard to do since i discovered a supplier who delivers and works out quite cheap!!

i really recommend it as my 2 were really agressive when playing and really hyperactive and Leyla had a skin problem - which went away.

it is easy and not to hard once you get into a routine the results are enough - happy loving doodles!!

Post subject: csj
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2006, 11:02 

we have had a look at there web site and we have placed an order.
we have a 6 month old Labradoodle F1.we phoned them up and they said go for the adult food so we have ordered champ.
we ordered 2 bags as it is a really good price.

thanks
elaine[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2006, 00:00 

I'm new to this , what is the barf diet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2006, 00:02 

We feed Dylan on Wagg, which is very cheap at Costco.

We used to have a labrador with digestive problems, and found that dried food was better for him on all counts. We started him off on Pedigree Chum puppy food, and it was FAR too rich.

We give Dylan our leftovers for flavour, and make up the bulk with Wagg. He's thriving on it at about 18 months, so I'd recommend it as an economical and healthy solution (no commisssion earned :lol:).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2006, 08:58 

:(

Last edited by Fiona on 09 Jul 2006, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 00:07 

Hi We use Gilbertson and Page Dr Johns for the adults and Gilpa for the pups they do various different ones with different protein and one for labs with more supliments for the joints we find it very good and affordable but not always easy to find but if you give them a ring they can tell you the nearest stockist or can do mail order

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER[color=#800040][/color][color=#800040][/color]

Post subject: Food
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 21:12 
Site Admin

Dougal has 200g of raw minced turkey every day together with a cup and a half of Nutros light - this seems to be the perfect balance for him, supplemented by the odd pigs ear or roasted bone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 23:26 

hI we also used pigs ears as a treat until thursday night never again. we were just sitting down to our meal when someone came to the door the two jack russels and the doodles were having an"ear" Trevor answered the door and I continued cutting bread I heard Pip my terrier coughing but didnt worry until she hit the door I looked down and thought she was having a fit she was frothing at the mouth and her eyes were stary I then realised she was choking i put my fingers down her throat I could feel the ear but couldnt free it Trevor ran in when I shouted I held her upside down whilst he poked in her throat luckily dislodging it we were both bitten but that is imaterial as Pip is fine know just a warning as i know Doodle are bigger but it can happen If we hadnt been ther she would be dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 23:43 

Hi Carol,

We have had the same problem with rawhide chews, i think the dogs sometimes don't chew them enough. After an experience similar to yours we now don't buy rawhide treats!

Post subject: BARF
PostPosted: 23 Apr 2006, 19:38 

HI

the BARF diet is an acronym for Biologically Appropriate Raw Food and also stands for Bones And Raw Food.

for full details please look at http://www.barfworld.com.

In short though it is feeding dogs & cats naturally with raw food as they would do in the wild.

I have been feeding my 2 since they were 4 months ( now 9months) and what a difference !! less agressive when playing (were hyper and agressive on dry food, and very nasty smelly poos) very healthy coats etc.

I started out blending all veg myself until I discovered Anglian foods who produce food based on BARF - very cheap and they deliver!!

http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/

there is a website on it with helpful tips and advice - well worth it and isnt as much hassle as you may think.

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk/

good luck xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2006, 13:01 

We use Dr John Silver for our adult bitch (£6 a sack). We also buy trays of unlabelled dogfood from our local feed merchant. about £2.50 for 12 tins.

She seems to enjoy the variety and we've had no problems with either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2006, 23:00 

Hi hopefully Bhindi and 0ttos babys will be on Gilpa pup too we cannot fault it

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2006, 23:19 

:D
Hi Thank you so much for all the replies

Really helped US :)

Im now feeding Raw mixed with dried seems a lot happier ,so that makes me Happy :)

I use the Frozen RAW,Followed with the Autarky,Really fussy on the dried at first,but then got use to it

Really is working out well Alternating the feeds

So thank you so much for the Info,Much appreciated

Tarky