including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 12:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Thinking of Buying a Labradoodle - advice please
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2006, 21:16 

I am thinking of buying a labradoodle. However I am concerned that I buy one from a reputable breeder, and not a puppy farm. It's difficult to judge how good a breeder is, so anyone who can recommend one, I would be pleased. In the Oxfordshire or surrounding counties, though I don't mind traveling.

I already have a black lab which is a trained gun dog in the winter and a couch potato in the summer :) Also a Battersea rescue who was abandoned in London, when young, he was a complete wreck for several years, having been beaten up, but he's turned into a lovely dog. So I am not adverse to taking a rescue labradoodle if any exists.

Bearing in mind my lab loves his shooting days out, would a labradoodle be suitable to train for this sport ? I mean at least half of him/her would love water, and collecting things. Or am I being silly ?

Barbara

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 00:02 

Hi Barbara A Doodle most certainly will be suitable fo your needs we have bred several that have gone on to be working gun dogs they have the best of both breeds and the poodle originally was a working dog especially for water fowl

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER[color=#800040][/color][color=#800040][/color]

Post subject: Buying a doodle
PostPosted: 14 Apr 2006, 10:41 

Hi Barbara

I live in Oxon and rehomed Rufus from Reading. There is a stud dog in Brightwell cum sotwell near Wallingford but I dont know them. Before rehoming Rufus I made contact with Cosmos owner and she put me in contact with several breeders not too far to travel. Didnt need them in the end but Rufus's Dad is Cosmo co-incidentally!

Good Luck in your search.

Kay

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2006, 07:55 

Hi Barbara, check out the Haywards on the looking for mates site. She lives in Oxon. She has a stud dog, but she may well be able to help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2006, 21:52 

CAROL SHAW wrote:
Hi Barbara A Doodle most certainly will be suitable fo your needs we have bred several that have gone on to be working gun dogs they have the best of both breeds and the poodle originally was a working dog especially for water fowl

Hi Carol,

Thanks for reply. Hopefully I will find a fairly local labradoodle. The thought did pass my mind, whether to breed my own. I am sure my black lab would be pleased to be a Daddy. Just don't have a poodle. Then I thought would I sell the puppies ! Knowing me I would end up with alot of little doodles running round, and not want to part with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2006, 21:54 

nic wrote:
Hi Barbara, check out the Haywards on the looking for mates site. She lives in Oxon. She has a stud dog, but she may well be able to help.

Thanks