including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 20 Jul 2019, 15:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Coat Colour
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2006, 21:38 
I have a 7 month old male Labradoodle - mum white poodle, dad black labrador. Already my pup's coat has strands of grey coming through. Every day there seem to be more. I really don't care what colour he ends up - I bought him for his temperament and character not his coat colour but I would be interested in knowing if this is usual and what colour I could expect him to end up in his early years. Like me, I expect he'll end up very grey !

Post subject: coat colour
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2006, 23:27 
Site Admin

Dougal, now six and a half was jet black as a puppy. His dad Wu-Li was a white labradoodle and his mum Blaze was a labradoodle more or less his colour now which is a silver/pewter colour. He started fading from about 1 year old and looks really quite distinguished.

I am told the silver/white growing thru black coat is a poodle trait.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Feb 2006, 23:50 

Hi,

I remember about 5 years ago talking to a breed representative for Standard Poodles in the Discover Dogs section of Crufts. He told me that at that particular time they were having problems keeping black and chocolate poodle's colour solid as lots of grey was appearing, sometimes in puppies but often at about 2 years old. I would assume, as Mark said, if it's a poodle thing it's now a labradoodle thing!

Actually, another point about changing colour only not of the coat. Evie is white, the tip of her nose is black but the top pink! It does seem to change-the pink often goes black (not through dirt!) but always changes back to pink! Lucky she's a girl :lol: Does this happen to anyone else's labradoodle?

Rachel

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2006, 11:26 

Dylan has a lot of grey, despite being chocolate all over. He's 14 months now, but the grey was there when he was much younger.

Post subject: nose colour
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2006, 12:38 

Hi Rachael

Our doodle is blonde and when he was little his nose did the same as Evie's nose - gradually as he got older it turned completely pink which does match his colouring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2006, 22:37 

Hi Sam,

That's interesting, i wonder if it'll turn completely pink then? Watch this space! The rest of her pigmentation is black though-around her eyes and mouth and pads.

Thank you for responding,

Rachel

Post subject: Coat Colour
PostPosted: 11 Feb 2006, 19:38 
Thank you to everyone who responded - and so quickly toosilver/pewter is a colour that I wouldn't object to - it sounds lovely.
Linda

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2006, 17:09 

Treacles coat started to get grey in it very early on (3 months old) she is now 11months and is greyish all over she is getting to be like her dad Doodles, her coat is very thin and she has tight curly bits on her head, I do not know if it will change as she gets older, it seems to suit her personality, (a little tinker) also she dosnt like being brushed but will let you comb her from what I see all the greyish coats seem to be the same, I would be interested to know if anyone has a grey doodle with the soft curly fleece.
ps where is the spell check?? I am hopeless at spelling