Dog friendly floor?!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Becky_ck

Dog friendly floor?!

Post by Becky_ck » 20 Feb 2011, 23:14

We had our water cut off all day Friday after a mains water pipe burst. My eldest daughter has a sink in her room, she obviously tried to clean her teeth in the morning, the water didn't work, so she just left the tap on. We came home after being out all day, water back on and a waterfall pouring through the ceiling.....so to cut a long story short our whole flooring downstairs is ruined!

So having the opportunity for a new floor-what would you recommend as doodle friendly.

We have black tiles in the kitchen which are a nightmare as they show every speck of dirt.

I find the laminate in the lounge hard work as Harrys hair moults heavily all year round so I am constantly brushing, hoovering AND mopping-I am thinking carpet I would only have to hoover?!

Sorry if it is a boring question-but I thought you would be experts (judging form the MESS photos :lol: ) in messy muddy dogs and TRYING to keep a clean house :lol:

Is everything in Brown the answer :roll:
Becky
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image Image
Image Image

Bid

Re: Dog friendly floor?!

Post by Bid » 20 Feb 2011, 23:26

I have a tiled floor and machine washable rugs which is wonderful from a dirty doodles point of view. The downside is that we were persuaded to have tiles with a lightcream edge and cream grouting, and cleaning the grouting is a nightmare job (I won't use bleach products or oxy products where the dogs go). Also, because Daisy has bad hips, we need to put non slip mats on all the corners she goes round. I keep both of them out of the one room that has laminate, becuase it is just too slippery for them. I don't know the perfect solution, but I wouldn't go back to carpets - not in million years! Maybe real wood :?
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

sammylou

Post by sammylou » 20 Feb 2011, 23:50

I'm no expert, but I can tell you that we have textured lino in our kitchen and hall ways, it looks like oak boards and not one of our visitors realises it is lino. We went for the thickest available and it's been brilliant. Even when H has a mad 5 mins he doesn't slip on it. It's easy to hoover and mop too. We have old carpets and a rug in the lounge which is horrid but I refuse to change it with young children and dogs.
Huh
Sam, Herbert Doodle and Ted pest
ImageImage

whirlwindmum

Post by whirlwindmum » 21 Feb 2011, 00:05

I have carpets in hall and lounge and have to hoover everyday as Alfie moults. If i miss a day it soooo :oops: :oops: :oops:

I also have lino in kitchen that looks like tiles Alfie never slipped, and it hides the dirt :D also everyone always think they are real tiles. :D :D
i]Treena & Alfie[/i]

Becky_ck

Post by Becky_ck » 21 Feb 2011, 00:16

Great tips so far. Think I will go for tiles in hall and kitchen. So dark grout is a must then :D But the thick lino sounds good. I am going to have to have a shop around.

Whirlwindmum-cant believe that is lino-really looks like tiles-it looks great!

As for the lounge, oh I really want cosy carpet but we also have a wood burner, muddy garden and the lounge is a walk through lounge so sensible head is saying NO CARPET-maybe industrial concrete, wet room with a drain in the middle so I can hose it down....... :lol:
Becky
Image Image
Image Image

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 21 Feb 2011, 00:17

Hi Becky, we have cushioned vinolay in the kitchen/diner; it looks and feels really lovely but is an absolute nightmare to clean. I can't mop it because it has billions of minute holes (to cushion it I suppose) and the dirt/mud just stays in them and so I have to get on my knees and scrub :twisted: :twisted: In the lounge we have a carpet and, with the help of my trusty 'dyson', all dog hairs are hoovered up nicely each day :lol: :lol:

Do hope your daughter has recovered from her nasty virus :D

Glenda xx
ImageImage

ImageImage

Becky_ck

Post by Becky_ck » 21 Feb 2011, 00:26

I think whatever i go for I will still spend far too long cleaning for my liking-wonder if the insurance people would fund a cleaner :lol:

Hi Glenda,
Thanks for asking. My daughter is still poorly :( Doctor rang again fri but still think its a virus. She has lost so much weight and has no energy. I did think it was a bit silly to not go on the meet but she really would not have been well enough. We walked to the shop 2 mins up the road today and she was exhausted-I had to carry her home (she is nearly 6!) :( Such a worry, bless her.

How is Jessie coping?

xxx
Becky
Image Image
Image Image

stout

Post by stout » 21 Feb 2011, 00:31

We have beige carpets throughout. Well, they were beige.

Let me rephrase. We had beige carpets throughout. Then we got Stout - a.k.a. the swamp monster. Suddenly the beige carpets didn't seem so beige.

So we've bought a bissel carpet cleaner. After the first attempt it has got the carpets to a more beige approximation. Needs anotheer go though. If you get a carpet, then take the doodle into a carpet showroom on a Sunday after a doodle meet, and get your muddy dood to walk across a few samples you're thinking of buying. Whichever one shows the muddy pawprints the least wins!!! :roll: :lol:

My thoughts are:
Laminate flooring - too slippy
Vinyl fake tiles/wood floooring - good if the doodle doesn't slip
Holey springy fake tiles vinyl - doesn't sound good
Mud brown carpet with random black specks - perfect. :lol:

If you go down the carpet route invest in a carpet cleaner!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Glenda

Post by Glenda » 21 Feb 2011, 01:02

Becky_ck wrote:I think whatever i go for I will still spend far too long cleaning for my liking-wonder if the insurance people would fund a cleaner :lol:

Hi Glenda,
Thanks for asking. My daughter is still poorly :( Doctor rang again fri but still think its a virus. She has lost so much weight and has no energy. I did think it was a bit silly to not go on the meet but she really would not have been well enough. We walked to the shop 2 mins up the road today and she was exhausted-I had to carry her home (she is nearly 6!) :( Such a worry, bless her.

How is Jessie coping?

xxx
Poor little soul, she must be so fed-up with feeling unwell :( Jessie is coping brilliantly - and so am I :lol: :lol: She is keeping herself as clean as she can and I'm going behind her armed with wet wipes :roll: It's really not that bad at all :wink: We took her up the fields yesterday afternoon and again today so she could let off some steam and get some fresh air - which was obviously much needed :lol:

I do hope you and your little girl have a better week :D

Love Glenda xx
ImageImage

ImageImage

Suzi

Post by Suzi » 21 Feb 2011, 01:54

We have porcelain tiles on the floor in the kitchen, which is fine - although I agree that it would be better if the grouting was darker!! It's very easy to wipe up muddy footprints on it. We have oak flooring in our family room, which Roxie occasionally slips on if she runs on it, but is good for mopping up any accident. We did have carpet in the dining and sitting rooms, which was a pain when Roxie wasn't very good at doing her business outside (and she still sometimes lets us down -which I spoke about in a previous thread!). They were old carpets, though and we intended to throw them out so the stains she created didn't matter, but would have been a pain if we were intending to keep them!! They're light green and a sort of beige, but have now gone and are being replaced by oak flooring. Hopefully that'll be much more practical and I hope Roxie will be okay walking on it. She seems to cope okay in the family room.

Stout's dad - I like your post! Very funny!
Suzi

inkamum

Post by inkamum » 21 Feb 2011, 02:09

WOOD ..... my whole house is wood :D ... very easy material to live, and with because it is natural it doesnt matter if it becomes 'paternated" ... in fact the more 'lived in' the better ... and it will last forever :D

my vote ... WOOD :D
hari and inka

ImageImage

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 21 Feb 2011, 02:13

we are getting non slip flooring in the kitchen we have cream tiles with dark greay grout in the hall am manky carpet in the front room which hubby agrees has to go as for slipping dogs there is a paw wax you put on their paws and it stops them slipping and protects that pads when out

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 21 Feb 2011, 09:02

Sam can you remember the name of your oak look lino?

Ive got oak in most rooms and lino in the kitchen,Lizzie at nearly 5 outgrown slipping. :D

Freddies_mum

Post by Freddies_mum » 21 Feb 2011, 10:32

We were going to have real wood in our living room but we laid a few strips, Jasper tried to walk across it and his paws slipped everywhere, it might as well have been ice! So the wood came up and went back to the shop, and we went for carpet. We chose a cream/brown slightly speckled pattern. Looks great and doesn't really show the dirt, a quick run round with the Dyson each day is enough to keep it clean.

rebecca0969

Post by rebecca0969 » 21 Feb 2011, 11:21

OMG this is the thread for me (am near end of our second major renovation) ..... My husband has just spent the last week laying the most BEAUTIFUL oak flooring in our main living area. We looked long and hard into this as in our previous house we laid oak flooring which once laid got completely scratched to shreds mainly by dog claws as they ran and then skidded along it. That floor was a light lacquer with a smooth finish. So this time we've gone for a darker (golden) stain with a distressed finish. So far (fingers very crossed) any scratches haven't shown (even the drill hole I made hasn't been noticed by OH) :lol: , and it doesn't seem to show too much fur and mud - I haven't hoovered or mopped it for 2 days! Also, carpet wise don't go for light cream - this time round we've gone for a light mud colour - much less maintenance!
Rebecca and Noodles x