Help - Dirty Bottomed Doodle - Ew!!!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Bramble's Mum

Help - Dirty Bottomed Doodle - Ew!!!

Post by Bramble's Mum » 24 Feb 2011, 18:15

Ok, sorry for the delightful subject, but I'd really appreciate some tips and advice. My girlie doodle is just over 3 months old and a bit of a fur ball. The problem is she also has a very fluffy bottom and she keeps getting little bits of poo stuck in her fur - nothing big just a small area beneath her anus - it's a bit off putting and mighty hard to get off - I've had to resort to bottom baths with the watering can in the garden! She's not too keen - it's really cold here in Switzerland and even having warm water poured over her backside isn't too pleasant at this time of year. I do try and give her bottom a bit of a wipe with sensitive skin baby wipes but I'm still getting caught out now and again. Her poo is solid enough so it's not from an upset tummy. How do you solve the problem - indeed, do you have this problem (your dogs not you) :wink: ? Should I give her a bit of a trim? I have a young son in the house, and I don't really like the idea of poo being scattered across the floor. Previous dogs have all had short hair so I'm floundering - Help!

Bramble the Swiss Mountain Doodle!!

sawbrook

Re: Help - Dirty Bottomed Doodle - Ew!!!

Post by sawbrook » 24 Feb 2011, 18:20

I would just give her rear a little trim!
Sarah & Murray
Image Image

HarveyH

Post by HarveyH » 24 Feb 2011, 18:25

We get the same with Harvey from time to time, especially noticeable because of his light fur.
So every now and again it's off to the groomers for a 'hygiene' trim. Job done! :D

Barnesy

Post by Barnesy » 24 Feb 2011, 18:27

We had a bad episode with Maizy back when we had deep snow. Her backside got really matted within a day and washing didn't help. The vet had to shave her really close and give her antibiotics as she couldn't go to the loo and was really sore. Also, it cost me £130!

She now gets professionally groomed and clipped every couple of months.

At the least trim her backside hair with scissors, I would say.

Tracey

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 24 Feb 2011, 18:32

I only have this with my westie and it is cured when she goes to the groomers as the cut various shapes favourite looks like a shield shape. but when I do it it just look like a vary short cut about 2-3cms either side of the bottom hole and about upto 5cms below it

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 24 Feb 2011, 18:37

We gad this problem with Dixie - she has very curly coat, the groomer sorted her out and she seemed alot happier too. I think she was aware her botty wasn't right and now she's clean and comfortable. I didn't want to try it myself as my eyesight is not what it was and she wriggles alot. We were lucky as groomer did it for nothing. !! a good marketing ploy to get me going back I suppose.
ImageImage

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 24 Feb 2011, 18:39

Clipping helps keep the area as short as poss around my Poodles and Doodles bums, it can look a bit harsh, but hygiene is far more important. You could also use a pair of safety scissors ( AKA bullnosed or baby scissors ) to trim around the area.

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 24 Feb 2011, 18:44

the GROOMER said to me

If you do a DIY I woud recommend that you DONT use clippers use a thick wide toothed comb and have the comb between the scissors and the bottom so the comb acts as a guard if the comb teeth as pointing up/down then you cut across. OR the other way round so what ever way you hold the comb always cut with the scissors over comb in the other way so that it forms a cross that way you should not ever cut too short and it reduces the chance of cutting the dog.( that was how the groomer explained it to me) hope that makes sense. I dare say that each person has their own way

I would of preferred to use clippers my self

stout

Post by stout » 24 Feb 2011, 19:05

We had the same with Stout, it was obviously making him uncomfortable, so we decided it was time for a haircut!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

stanleystooks

Post by stanleystooks » 24 Feb 2011, 19:09

Hi I use scissors to cut the hard poo bits then clippers to shave closer and I have never cut with clippers :shock:

STANLEY

liverbird

Post by liverbird » 24 Feb 2011, 19:10

We had an upset tum incident with Bailey a couple of weeks ago :shock: :shock: NOT pleasant. There was no way I could even let her sit down anywhere in the house! She was straight into the shower, my son held her still while I donned the rubber gloves and tackled the rear end, (whilst wretching!!) Suffice to say there was alot of fur trimmed off her back end - with scissors - and quite a bit chopped off her tail too. Poor soul has now got used to me checking her backside everytime she has a bit of a sloppy poo so I can wipe it with baby wipes!!
Good job we love our doods isn't it :roll:

Jennifer

Post by Jennifer » 24 Feb 2011, 19:37

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I only just mentioned this to a friend the other day!!
Teddy is light haired and so any mess can be noticeable so I clean him up with a baby wipe when needed but have thought about giving him a trim but know he would hate it and there is no way the OH would help with that job!! :roll:
I think I would probably use some baby nail scissors or ask a groomer if you are unsure.

Bid

Post by Bid » 24 Feb 2011, 19:48

I also keep Daisy's bottom area trimmed with scissors. For some reason Poppy never has any problems in the botom area! (touch wood).
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Beveth

Post by Beveth » 24 Feb 2011, 21:28

I was drawn to this topic because I often have problems with Bertie and Banjo. I also use baby wipes if they are loose or messy whilst I am out with them. However, Banjo is currently having a phantom pregnancy (still!!!) and she has been a little bit constipated which means the lumps of poo caught in her fur have been quite firm. Tonight I have spent a delightful half hour washing her bottom and cutting out what I cannot wash away with scissors. Bertie and Banjo both try to hide their bottoms when they see me with their flannel, so I think I may end up trimming this area. I think gagging is compulsory when doing this job ...
Beverley
Bertie and Banjo
Blog: http://beveth.wordpress.com

linny

Post by linny » 24 Feb 2011, 21:43

I too trim the bum area with a pair of blunt nose scissors.
Huggy is not too bad in that area but Ambrose is quite curly and attracts all sorts around his backside if I don't trim.
They both run or sit their bottoms firmly on the floor when they see me armed with the bum cutters :lol: