Poops and Puppies!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
lgri8211

Poops and Puppies!

Post by lgri8211 » 17 Feb 2012, 08:59

Hello,
On several occasions now in the week and 2 days i've had Jessie when she has pooped its got all stuck around her bum area and it hardens really quick and she ends up with a matted lump of poo right by her back passage! It's really not nice and the only way i can get it off is by bathing her! and i'm sure a bath every couple of days at this age probably isn't very good for her!

My main question is why isn't she cleaning her bum?? When i watch her im pretty sure she can't reach it and her passage is hight i think right at the base of her tail, is that normal?

Am i going to have to wipe her bum forerver???? i can't be at the park when she is bigger wiping my dogs bum...surely not???

Help!

Jennifer

Re: Poops and Puppies!

Post by Jennifer » 17 Feb 2012, 09:26

The joys of dog ownership eh!!!! :lol: :lol:

Ted has long hair round his bottom so I keep it trimmed short with scissors regularly and then he only occasionally needs a wipe. :roll: Ted's not particularly good at keeping himself clean, I think you're right it's definitely a hard to reach area!!!! :lol:

Lil

Post by Lil » 17 Feb 2012, 09:36

I think, tbh it is a question of what type of hair your dog has! I have two with either curly (doodle) hair or wiry (lakeland) hair and have to make sure that I keep the hair around their bottom trimmed :lol: The only dog I don't have to clean is the short haired border terrier.

Even then, occasionally it does require a clean :roll: I keep a pack of baby wipes handy for this so you don't have to resort to bathing them every time. Mind you, they see me coming with a pack of baby wipes and you have to catch them first!!

Bid

Post by Bid » 17 Feb 2012, 09:47

I agree - keep her hair trimmed nice & short in that area. Also, is her poo firm or quite soft? It could be that you need to look at what you are feeding her and how much, if her poo is so soft that is sticks all the time, as it should be an occasional thing rather than a daily feature! (None of mine wash their bottoms that I've noticed - unless it's a thing they do in private!)
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Alfieandlindsey

Post by Alfieandlindsey » 17 Feb 2012, 10:06

Same advice here - keep the bum area trimmed really short and buy lots of baby wipes - I also have to hide them behind my back because if he sees them he starts running! X

Lindsey and Alfie x

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 17 Feb 2012, 11:32

She wont be able to reach her bum to wash herself yet as she is not long or bendy enough.
Whenshe goes through her gangly stage, she will be able to work out how to reach it, normally by leaning back against the wall or bed and she will wedge herself in so she can reach it.
One of ours never cleaner herself and we had to trim her fur all the time to keep it short, Dorcas is a "scruff" coat so it is short there...although she has this one bit of fur that just gets in the way, its the only bit I ever trim on her.
Ant yes her bottom is in a normal possition at the base of her tail :)
Me and Mummy

Rosikus

Post by Rosikus » 17 Feb 2012, 13:07

We were FOREVER washing Toby's bum when he was a puppy. It seemed never ending! But he's grown out of it now and seems to sort himself out. :)

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 17 Feb 2012, 13:43

I had too do that for my old yorkie it was like a big lump stuck on hes bum very uncomfortable ,i had to keep washing hes bum took ages ,like the other person said it sounds like its hes food it shouldnt be that soft if it can be a bit harder it wouldnt stick to him,or maybe feeding him too much ,you will get there in the end.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 17 Feb 2012, 14:38

we trim very short around that area too (also his paws and muzzle for similar reasons to keep him nice and clean). I've never heard of dogs washing/licking themselves down there :shock: :lol:

we only ever need to wipe very occassionally is if hes got a poorly tum, which is usually if he picks something up on his walks to eat or if people feed him cheapy biscuits :roll:
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 17 Feb 2012, 17:09

Hello, It's sounds like the diet she is on is too rich for her. Maybe it is the food that was making her snappy the other day too if it's not right for her. Might be giving her a crampy tum??
Just a thought.. :)
Daise :) xx

lara's mum

Post by lara's mum » 17 Feb 2012, 23:09

Hello - the joy of dog ownership :oops:

It should an occasional situation only.

Like the others have said we keep Lara short around that area and also have wipes just in case. I tend to watch in the morning to make sure it is solid, although you usually know, as she changes her usual routine if she has an upset tum (being woke at 4 by a dog desperate to go the toilet is usually a big clue) :roll:

Lara now knows what the wipes are for and lies on the floor and rolls over :lol:

Handy to keep a packet of wipes in the car for emergencies!!!

As the others have said you may be overfeeding or her food may not be agreeing with her. Is she on the same the breeder gave her, or has she been having treats?
Alison & Lara

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 18 Feb 2012, 10:59

I have similar problems with Florrie. We keep her hair trimmed short around her bum area, but she still does occasionally need it cleaning with a baby wipe. Although saying that, last night she came in from the garden and we could smell poo, checked her paws thinking maybe she'd stood in some, but nope, it was all over her backside. I had to put her in the bath and give her bum a proper good clean. She's got a bit of a poorly tummy at the moment where she is on steroids and as a side effect is drinking loads.

It made me laugh reading that some of your doodles don't clean themselves around that area. Florrie is obsessed with being clean and will clean her self several times a day, usually when you've invited her up onto the sofa for a cuddle! Charming eh :lol:

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 Feb 2012, 14:32

Florrie! wrote: It made me laugh reading that some of your doodles don't clean themselves around that area. Florrie is obsessed with being clean and will clean her self several times a day, usually when you've invited her up onto the sofa for a cuddle! Charming eh :lol:

Tasha
:lol: :lol: Daisy & Poppy don't do any washing. Beamish does a lot of washing, but only one bit - you can guess which bit can't you! :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron