Visiting Fox

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
iannai

Visiting Fox

Post by iannai » 26 Feb 2012, 10:37

Hi

We live in a fairly urban area and we have a fox coming to the garden every night. Not only does this send the dogs mad but there is also the possiblility of lungworm. Any ideas how to discourage foxes?

Thanks

The Turners

Re: Visiting Fox

Post by The Turners » 26 Feb 2012, 10:45

My parents have two dogs, years ago the foxes used to come into their back garden, and drive the dogs mad. Mum took to feeding the fox scraps every night, placing food in the front garden well away from the house. ( they have a large front garden, so this helped) She now adores her adopted fox family, who bring their cubs, and frolic on the front lawn at night :D . Good luck with finding a way to deal with them.
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 26 Feb 2012, 10:59

Let the dogs out to chase the foxes off. They are coming into your garden to make a mess and tease the dogs, so let the dogs out to chase them away for you. If they catch one it will be a bonus and one less flea infested pointless creature on the planet.

Just make sure that your dogs wont hurt themselves on wire or fencing, and if they get out of your garden in the chase, they don't have to cross a road.
Fox's are stupid and will hang around our local hunts yard where all the hounds live.

Fox's look pretty but like wasps, have very little use in the world, they can keep wild rabbits down so long as no-one lives near them with chickens/geese/ducks or kittens/small cats which are easy to kill.

Let your dogs do what they are bred to do, both the Lab and the Poodle.......hunt.
Me and Mummy

iannai

Post by iannai » 26 Feb 2012, 11:08

Errr......That wasn't quite what I had in mind!

I have nothing against foxes and believe thay have the right to exist just as any other animal- just wish they wouldn't come into our garden, though I do appreciate that our dogs are drawing them in. But it is undermining the training of dogs staying out of the planted areas :( . Yes we still have plants and flowers.... for now :lol:

Hopefuly he/ she will move on when Spring comes.

LakeDistrictDoodle wrote:Let the dogs out to chase the foxes off. They are coming into your garden to make a mess and tease the dogs, so let the dogs out to chase them away for you. If they catch one it will be a bonus and one less flea infested pointless creature on the planet.

Just make sure that your dogs wont hurt themselves on wire or fencing, and if they get out of your garden in the chase, they don't have to cross a road.
Fox's are stupid and will hang around our local hunts yard where all the hounds live.

Fox's look pretty but like wasps, have very little use in the world, they can keep wild rabbits down so long as no-one lives near them with chickens/geese/ducks or kittens/small cats which are easy to kill.

Let your dogs do what they are bred to do, both the Lab and the Poodle.......hunt.

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 26 Feb 2012, 11:35

It's a bit like a lot of pests - if you don't want to kill them (and I wouldn't want to either!) you have to stop where they're getting in.

I think they're good burrowers and jumpers so check and fix anything that looks like it might be a problem.

If it were me, and this is based on no science at all, would they be in trying to get to your dog poo? I was watching "It's me or the dog" and she was saying that dogs think dog poo is delicious. I'm sure you're not leaving food for the foxes... Could that be why they're coming in?

I do agree with the previous poster about sending your dogs out - the fox will be twice as quick as them and be able to escape the garden when your pooches can't. And I think that will stop the foxes coming in once they stop being able to get past the flower beds, they'll go find somewhere more fun to go. (Only do this if your dogs are old enough or big enough!)

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 26 Feb 2012, 11:49

Hi, We also live in an area plagued with urban foxes. The foxes come through our garden every night but they don't stay if Lottie is out! We have found no way of keeping them out. They jump on to our 4 feet high wall and walk along it! We make sure we have no rubbish about and pick up any dog poo straight away. Unfortunately, I have to pick up the fox poo as well because Lottie loves it (ugh!!). We also made the garden escape proof for Lottie but it does not stop the foxes.

I did not let Lottie out on her own when she was a pup but now she flies out and chases them out of the garden and cannot jump high enough to get out herself so no danger of her following them. We've just come to terms with the foxes because there are so many there is little we can do. They can be really cheeky and will follow us down the road to the park if Lottie is on the lead - it's a bit spooky but they never get close enough for a confrontation.

If you find a way of keeping them out let me know!!

Lottie and Fiona

linny

Post by linny » 26 Feb 2012, 16:00

Have you got a zoo anywhere nearby?......Tiger poo (small quantity) bury it arround your perimeter........hey ho no foxes.
It worked for us.

jasperaliceuk

Post by jasperaliceuk » 26 Feb 2012, 17:48

Believe me, even if you can keep them out of your garden - they are very nimble, scramble over fences, squeeze through very small gaps and can dig well - your dogs will still hear them when the vixens start calling, youngsters start playing. Milo goes nuts too. We are semi rural and have foxes in a den next door. I know they visit us every night as they leave their evidence. I have plugged gaps along the bottom of fences but they still come in. I don't really mind as long as they don't touch my chickens or poop on top of things!!

They say human male pee keeps them away!

Here is the vixen next door, in 2009, with 6! cubs. It was a privilege to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84RoFmG3 ... ature=plcp

Sue

Check out Milo's tricks on http://www.youtube.com/jasperaliceuk

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 26 Feb 2012, 18:37

Hello, unfortunately with having chickens in our garden, we too have the same problem :evil:
Human wee where the foxes hangout is supposed to deter them, as they are repelled by the smell apparently..
We havn't resorted to that yet but it's on the cards.. :shock:
Daise xxx

We heart Daisy!

Post by We heart Daisy! » 26 Feb 2012, 20:12

Crikey LLD. Talk about full on :shock: :shock: :shock:

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 26 Feb 2012, 20:33

Sorry, but I am with Lake District Doodle on this ( I gather you are not fond of the fox :lol: :lol: )
I am absolutely fed up of being woken at some silly time,- about 3.30 because the blasted foxes are teasing my dog in his garden!!! They know exactly what they are doing and come right up to the French doors in the living room at the back of the house and Polo becomes derranged. :evil: I imagine they are sticking their tongues out at him and flapping their ears, I hope you know what I mean!! They have a specific route and thier exit is over a 7 foot wall at the side of the house. Letting Polo out does nothing to discourage them as when they tease him, they are almost at thier escape point.

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 26 Feb 2012, 21:15

Our friend was round yesterday and said he had shot one from his bedroom window with a rifle. We are rural and they are breeding at an alarming rate and so are the bl**dy rabbits. The hunt used to kill a few but mainly they dispersed them but now the bu**gers are really taking the p*ss.

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 26 Feb 2012, 22:18

aaaah i love foxes - even though i know they are a pain and i like the thought of Nicky's mum feeding them and watching the cubs ! how lovely :)
the tiger poo sounds like a good un - or your hubby weeing all round the perimeter :lol:
Dawn & Luna x

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 26 Feb 2012, 22:26

Ok so not everyone liked my thoughts !!!!! We have had nothing but problems with them and we live in the countryside, so we can't keep them out with high fences etc.

The lion/tiger poo is a good thing, you can get it from most garden centers if you don't have a zoo near by, if you do you have to phone first just don't turn up with a bag and your own wee will help if you don't mind the whole family weeing in a bucket for a few days.

Thanks Gilly G, glad someone was on my side, lol :lol: No we don't like mr fox. We don't let Dorcas chase them too often as she is not good and not chasing the deer (although she will never catch them!!!, silly dog) we do have a couple of lovely 12 bores though........sorry everyone but we don't all live in towns where the elusive mr fox is a pleasure to see. We in fact don't mind them really, do hate the wee and poo they leave behind as it stinks and you can smell it for miles without the aroma of fast food joints, pubs and waste bins to mask it....im only having a giggle with you :) (but we do shoot them)

Good luck Ian keeping them out and im sure plenty will be glad of any real tips you get to work. Make sure you wear gloves when gardening around where they come in, you don't want to put your hands in their mess, if your dog finds it first and roles in it, you will need to wash them in tomato ketchup to get rid of the smell......don't hate me for my views being differant to yours, I meant nothing bad by them :)
Me and Mummy

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 26 Feb 2012, 22:34

LakeDistrictDoodle wrote: . . . . (but we do shoot them)
......don't hate me for my views being differant to yours, I meant nothing bad by them :)
:lol: i thought your post was amusing ! i certainly know that a lot of people hate fox's - your allowed your say too :lol: you did make me laugh though. :)
Dawn & Luna x