Do your doodles get hot?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
peachespointy

Do your doodles get hot?

Post by peachespointy » 28 Mar 2012, 23:54

Hi

My puppy loves sleeping on cold floors, especially the laminate flooring under the dining table. When he sleeps in our living room, where it's quite warm, he fidgets so much and doesnt appear to be comfortable. I wondered if they are dogs known for being 'hot'?
Or whether it is this specific dog.

He adores being outside so I'm wondering if he'd prefer to be in a run outside? Not that I want him out there....I love having a dog indoors, well as long as he isn't carting mud everywhere.

TIA

nutttymutts

Re: Do your doodles get hot?

Post by nutttymutts » 29 Mar 2012, 00:46

Hi both my wetsuits and Doodle try to see who can claim the SHIT by the grungy for on end cold tiles

Rosikus

Post by Rosikus » 29 Mar 2012, 01:39

Are you tired Nutty or am I? That made no sense to me!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Or maybe it's autocorrect!

My two I think would choose to lie on the kitchen floor instead of the carpet in the living room, and Boris especially does look quite hot sometimes though it doesn't seem to bother him.
He was lying in a patch of sunlight on the landing the other day and was panting like a mad thing he must have been so hot. I moved him out of the sun but as soon as my back was turned he went straight back and lay where he was..... the rotter.

JeanY

Post by JeanY » 29 Mar 2012, 03:12

Toffee definitely likes cool tiles, and will almost always carefully move any rugs and blankets in her crate so that she is sleeping on plain plastic. She likes to rest her chin on the heaped up rugs.

It gets hot in summer here, and our vet encourages having a pool of water available for dogs to cool off in. Toffee gives that idea about four paws up. Those of us who get leapt on by a wet dog are not so sure.

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 29 Mar 2012, 08:23

Yes Jessie prefers the kitchen floor, which is a right pain at the moment because hubby is trying to re-tile it. She is always in the way!
Sarah and Jessie

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 29 Mar 2012, 09:48

Wurly too loves the kitchen floor in the hot weather :D , she also loves the water feature in the garden, which she tries to get in :roll: , it’s small & she big so she keeps knocking the fountain over. :wink:

Jean Y: Great idea, might have to invest in a padding pool for Wurly. :D

Sarah: Jessie is obviously supervising, so that Hubby does a good job on HER new floor :lol:
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 29 Mar 2012, 10:38

We have a 400 year ld cottage which is cool in summer and warm in winter, so Lola is happy to sit anywhere - in fact even in the hottest day wil go in to the sitting room to sit in a sunbeam.

But outside she does get hot - you can get cooling jackets - there are several types, one is like a chamois leather which you dunk in water and it cools off slowly by evaporation - this is very effective.

In the car I have a wet towel which we drape over Lola if it is hot in there, and we take it with us in a big plastic bag to put over her if she does get too hot.

But the best way is to keep them clipped short in the summer - imagine being in a fur coat - it's just not fair to keep their fur long.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Markt3857

Post by Markt3857 » 29 Mar 2012, 10:50

Briar seems to get quite hot and will always lay herself out on the wooden floor in the lounge or tile flooring in the kitchen when its warm. Even when we're in the park and she's had a run about she'll often find a shady area to lay in

I believe with her colouring she's more susceptible to feeling the heat ?
Mark, Kim, Briar & Marcie (the Cockapoo!)

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 29 Mar 2012, 11:28

luna has always prefered sleeping in the hall on the cold floor, especially of an evening. her coat is quite short at the minute but i can see that ill have to shave it off for the summer. :)
Dawn & Luna x

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 29 Mar 2012, 12:28

I wonder if Doodles, like people have their own sleeping preferences. I knew a man once who slept with the window open because he got too hot at night.... Which sounds rude :lol: He told me about it! Whereas I like it warm, and I'm a heavy sleeper and sometimes I overheat at night because I've worn 3 layers and 2 duvets to get to sleep and woke up 6 hours later roasting.

That said - I've seen a lot of people say that abroad people use a wet handkerchief/bandana around their dogs neck to cool them down which I think is easy - it's only light to carry and in the heat you should never be far away from water for the sake of your dog needing a drink anyway!

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 29 Mar 2012, 14:45

Phoebe very often takes herself off the very comfortable couch and plonks on her side on the wooden floor. I think it must be a doodle thing.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 29 Mar 2012, 17:14

Buddy will choose to lie on the cold wooden floor when its warm inside, however he does do quite well in the heat outside. He can still run about and have his usual walks even when its hot, we often use wet bandanas for cooling and obviously lots of drinking water and frozen treats to eat :)
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 29 Mar 2012, 17:24

At the moment Rossetti seems quite happy to lie in his bed, although like Liz we also live in a very old (stone) house which is particularly cool inside. We only moved here last May and last summer wasn't particularly boiling if I remember correctly so I'm not sure how he will find it in the 'summer' :roll:

We've just laid a limestone floor in our breakfast room which is very cool underfoot and Zetti does like to play in there but his daytime bed is in our snug (which currently has quarry ties and a large rug) and he does prefer his bed to the floor for now.

Talking of gardens and water features, it should be interesting to see how he is when he's a bit older as we have a stream in the bottom part of our garden which the previous owners built a little jetty part way across. DH says Zetti will be bound to jump in and I guess that's quite likely, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not or if I should discourage it by getting a paddling pool for him instead? :lol:
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 29 Mar 2012, 17:32

Zetti Doodle wrote:Talking of gardens and water features, it should be interesting to see how he is when he's a bit older as we have a stream in the bottom part of our garden which the previous owners built a little jetty part way across. DH says Zetti will be bound to jump in and I guess that's quite likely, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not or if I should discourage it by getting a paddling pool for him instead? :lol:
My parents have a stream through their garden - it's a bit difficult to access as they prepared the land to build on by putting some gabion baskets at the side - so there's a drop. They certainly never encouraged the dogs to go and I'm not sure if they ever have been in, but they certainly don't bother nowadays - and they both like going in ponds and the sea etc when they're out on a walk.

I remember my old dog shep went swimming in it once - but it was very cold and very bad for his hips :(

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 29 Mar 2012, 17:48

Maggie111 wrote:
Zetti Doodle wrote:Talking of gardens and water features, it should be interesting to see how he is when he's a bit older as we have a stream in the bottom part of our garden which the previous owners built a little jetty part way across. DH says Zetti will be bound to jump in and I guess that's quite likely, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea or not or if I should discourage it by getting a paddling pool for him instead? :lol:
My parents have a stream through their garden - it's a bit difficult to access as they prepared the land to build on by putting some gabion baskets at the side - so there's a drop. They certainly never encouraged the dogs to go and I'm not sure if they ever have been in, but they certainly don't bother nowadays - and they both like going in ponds and the sea etc when they're out on a walk.

I remember my old dog shep went swimming in it once - but it was very cold and very bad for his hips :(
Yes, the water is FREEZING......I tried having a paddle last summer and got rather a shock :lol: Hopefully the temperature will discourage him from diving in :D
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]