Dog crate question

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
muffinhead

Dog crate question

Post by muffinhead » 15 Apr 2012, 17:24

We've been out today and brought stuff for our still un-named puppy :roll: Will this dog bed be ok? Or is it too big?

Or will this option be better with just the blanket?

By the way the crate is 3 foot by 2 foot

Thanks in advance :mrgreen:
Sarah

Rowan11

Re: Dog crate question

Post by Rowan11 » 15 Apr 2012, 17:33

:) they both look very cosy to me ! i guess it will depend on what you pup prefers. we had a bed for luna but got rid of it in the end because she prefers to sleep on a padded mat - or the floor. :)
Dawn & Luna x

Phoebe11

Post by Phoebe11 » 15 Apr 2012, 18:39

Phoebe never used her crate, to be honest it was too big for the back of the astra and the breeder told me to have her ion my lap and when we got her home she was as good as gold in her bed and she sleeps in her bed or on a chair and in the car wears a seat belt restraint.

It looks a lovely set up and that toy you have towards the top of the picture bone shaped with 2 heads was phoebes favourite when we had her but don't go mad buying soft toys cos once they start pulling the stuffing out you will be looking for a none stuffed one - phoebe has a beaver (kong) with squeak in head she loves now
Jo and Phoebe
Jo, Phoebe & Darcy

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 15 Apr 2012, 20:05

both are ok, I would recommend that you ask the breeder if you can have something with the mom's sent on and when you pick up pup do so in an old top so you can also get the smell of the mom and litter mates if any are still there in it and put that in the create as well, also it is a good idea to put your dirty washing basket near/next to the create so the pup can smell you close :D :D sure there will be lots of suggestions to follow :wink:

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 15 Apr 2012, 20:14

one more thing I would suggest that you put a blanket drapped over the cage especially the side where the radiator is as iccle dood could burn himself on the radiator, also on the other end of the scale it wont feel cold rad either. Pups like cosy spaces so if the blanket covers 3 side Back and 2 sides it will be cosy for him. When we go camping I COVER THE CREATE all 4 sides :roll: :roll: hubby thinks I loopy tucking them in at bedtime :lol: :lol:

J RALPH

Post by J RALPH » 15 Apr 2012, 20:24

hi.

We got aur doodle on Friday and I kitted it out with a nice bed and to be honest he wee'd on it the first night so now Ive just got a couple of fleece blankets. I can see from your pic that the bed or blanket only covers half of the crate and the other half is newspaper. Is that for him to toilet on during the night? I only ask because Ive done the same and Scooby has wee'd and poo'd on the paper every night so far as we havent got up during the night. Some people told me that you shouldnt encourage them to toilet in the crate by putting paper in but it depends whether you want to get up during the night or not? Ive read conflicting arguments for and against. Also we went out for 2 hours this evening and even though he had been out before we went, he had still wee'd on the paper when we got back so if the paper hadnt been there, would he have held it or wee'd on his bed. Im not sure? Again conflicting reviews for both methods. Scooby is only 8 weeks old so I might start taking the paper out when he is abit older.

durhamdoodler

Post by durhamdoodler » 15 Apr 2012, 21:04

We have had Alfie in his crate since coming home from breeder & he loves it, however we bought it from breeder 36" and it's now too little for him so have had to purchase a 48" crate(he's 5months), it's his haven when tired during the day and we have 'green backed' vetbed which is fab, no accidents at all in crate, we were advised to pick him up out of crate 1st thing in morning and place him outside with a command like "be quick" and not 1 accident in crate. Like previous post mentions we cover side & top of crate at night. We have a separate crate for car but that is nearly too little now, so hoping a car grid will do same job. Good luck. Denise
[Image]

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 15 Apr 2012, 21:09

I have bought the same size crate for our new addition and plan to halve the base space to keep it small and cosy and to deter toileting (if possible) and she grows and matures I will increase the available space.

Someone on the forum suggested using wine boxes to reduce floor space in the crate - I usually have one or two of those around !!!

I aim to see how that goes and get up in the night to toilet her if necessary. My first doodle was really clean and used the dog flap from day one and never had night time accidents - I doubt I'll be that lucky twice though

Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 15 Apr 2012, 21:29

Both look great - when can I move in ?!!

Puppy will soon let you know what's best - a 3rd option is to put the vet bed on top of the padded one.....................

Good luck - he's going to be one pampered pooch !

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

muffinhead

Post by muffinhead » 15 Apr 2012, 22:19

Thanks for all the advice so far!! There's so much conflicting advice out there so I thought i'd get peoples opinions from on here :lol: So basically it 'should' be ok either way? :?
Sarah

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 15 Apr 2012, 22:46

Hi, not a fan of crates even though we had one for Dorcas for a couple of months. I work so little that she was hardley in it. Yours looks soooooo cosy and everyone has given you possative feedback so im the fly in the ointment, sorry.

If a crate is to be used and you DON'T want puppy to use it as a loo, then there must be NO space other than its bed. All the surrounding area must be padded out with cushions etc to fill the space up. It he/she can get out of bed to wee/poo even the smallest of areas then they will, untill trained not too. Once puppy is grown a little and house trained then the extra space is fine. One other thing, if you put any water in the dish then puppy will have it tipped everywhere and everything soaded in minutes. You can train them to drink from drinkers attached to the outside of crates that wont spill. If it is just for puppy to sleep in at bedtimes, then no water or food bowls will be needed. If you put food and water in its bowls, then you go out to work/shops ect...then what goes into puppy must come out fo puppy.
I do not meen any harm by my comments and you can ignore them if you wish. I do agree with the ones about a blanket over the top to make it more of a cosy den. Looking forward to "no-name" getting a name, good luck :D
Me and Mummy

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 15 Apr 2012, 23:28

We bought a largish crate for Rossetti but put a metal crate divider in to separate off an area just big enough for his crate mattress (small size) until he grows into the full space. At 13 weeks we haven't yet had to move the divider, but as the mattress completely covers the floor in the part he uses, he has never been to the loo in there.

As we only crate him at night (he has a 'day bed' downstairs, while the crate is currently in our room) we don't have water or food bowls in there, although we did initially plan to and bought ones that sit in rings that attach to the crate sides. To make it cosy and 'den' like we cover the crate with a blanket and Rossetti's breeder gave us a small blanket with the scent of his litter to comfort him. He also has a heartbeat bunny :D

Rossetti has used the crate from day one as our breeder had already crate-trained him and after about three weeks (he's been home for five) he was sleeping through the night. Now when he wakes at around 7.30-8am for the loo we take him outside and are able to pop him back in his crate - with a filled kong - and he will often sleep for a further couple of hours :D

Your crate and choices of bed look lovely and I'm sure your puppy will be very snuggly which ever option you go with :D
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]

muffinhead

Post by muffinhead » 16 Apr 2012, 06:49

I think we'll see how it works as it is at the moment with the dog bed in and a blanket over it and go from there :lol:

Thanks for all the help :mrgreen: I must be driving you all mad :oops:
Sarah