First long car journey - any tips?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Singeralvie

First long car journey - any tips?

Post by Singeralvie » 16 Apr 2012, 07:06

Hi all

We are off on our first mini break with Arthur this weekend, and very much looking forward to introducing Arthur to a new place (we are off to southwold, which will be new to us too). Anyway it will be the first long car journey Arthur has had, up to how the longest he has been in the car is an hour at any one time, and we estimate this journey to take about 3 hours.

He sits on the back sit attached by his harness to the seat belt and can be quite fidgety at time, and on occassion starts barking ( he never barks any other time). Obviously we will stop on route to let him stretch his legs, but are there any tips for a happy, quiet journey??? :D
Em, Kelly and Arthur Doodle

Sarah R

Re: First long car journey - any tips?

Post by Sarah R » 16 Apr 2012, 08:14

Hi, sorry no advice as we're only just starting out but just wanted to say Southwold is one of our fav places, have a lovely time.

lara's mum

Post by lara's mum » 16 Apr 2012, 08:54

Hi

No real tips but wanted to wish you good luck.

Once Lara reached an hour in the car, she seemed to be able to cope with any journey.

I would suggest not feeding Arthur too near the time you are travelling and then take him for a good walk before you leave and hopefully he will be content enough to snooze through most of it.

We tend to plan the stop at around half way to try and break it up. Also if Arthur likes bones a stag bar is handy as they don't smell or get gunky.

We do the seat belt and harness set up and this is how she is happiest travelling.

Enjoy!!
Alison & Lara

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 16 Apr 2012, 09:18

Hope you have a great time :D . We put toys in the car for a long journey, Wurly has the seat belt harness too. Our longest journey with her is also about 3 hours. She has a run on the park before we set off, so she all tuckered out :D , this really helps with her still being young. (17 months) It also stop her barking at cyclists and motorcycles :roll: , something she only does in the car :? . We also stop half way somewhere she can stretch her legs and go to the loo. Enjoy your time away & don’t forget to take lots of photo’s so we can see Arthur on holiday. :D
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 16 Apr 2012, 11:02

I would take a chew stick if hes not sick ,or take him for a long walk so that he might sleep through the jorney.hope you have a good time.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 16 Apr 2012, 14:08

I would set off to drive as though you were just going to the shops or visit family. The more you fret about the trip the worst it will make Arthur.
I would have a bag with a few treats, clean towel or kitchen roll in case he is sick plus extra carrier bags to put sick in and his fave toy.
Don't feed him to near the travel time, take him a walk before you get in the car BUT after you have packed the car and gotten 100% ready to go. Then from the walk into the house for two mins, then on with his harness and set off. If you get in the frame of mind that it will be hard work and he will get upset, then that is what is going to happen as you will set him off. Don't give it a thought, get all the worries over with as you pack up the car ie: are all the lights off, windows shut etc.
Do not worry about Arthur, 3 hours is not a long time for a dog in the car at all, they will settle down and go to sleep. If he starts to bark ignore him, if you keep stopping to fret over him he will think what a great game, I kick off and get attention. Stop when YOU want to stretch legs and go for a wee then let Arthur out, then straight back in and off you go. We travel from the west coast of Cumbria down to the south of France with Dorcas and we have NEVER had a problem once and it took us 24 hours last time due to traffic hell !!!!. Just remember, if you don't fret then he wont, DO NOT make a big thing of this or you will make a rod for your own back on every trip you ever make and holidays will become a nightmare for you. Looking forward to hearing how you get on and to see the pics from your trip :D x
Me and Mummy

muffinhead

Post by muffinhead » 16 Apr 2012, 21:37

No advice or tips but I wanted to say I hope you all have a great time and a stress free journey ``there :mrgreen:
Sarah

Singeralvie

Post by Singeralvie » 17 Apr 2012, 10:52

Thanks all for all the really helpful tips. I have bought a stag bar on the Internet so hoping it arrives by Friday.
Em, Kelly and Arthur Doodle