Leaving your dog outside a shop

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Maggie111

Leaving your dog outside a shop

Post by Maggie111 » 20 May 2012, 18:27

I often see well behaved dogs outside shops and I wonder - how do you do that? :lol:

But now I have a dog, I think this'll be so practical. Any ideas how to get there? I'm guessing I'll have to wait a year or so, but any other training tips would be great :)

iceprincess10x

Re: Leaving your dog outside a shop

Post by iceprincess10x » 20 May 2012, 18:34

I will leave my boys outside a cafe on a walk where I can see them but never where I can't I'm too afraid of someone stealing them or letting them off! However we do relaxed isolation in training classes it's good practice!

sandyandbeanie

Post by sandyandbeanie » 20 May 2012, 18:43

Teaching them to sit and wait is a good start. Increase the length of time they wait gradually, along with your distance from the dog. Then start walking out of view whilst they sit and wait, maybe into the kitchen or upstairs ect. If you practice outside you can use bushes and trees. Again, increasing the time they can't see you very gradually.

I would worry about Sandy being stolen or let off the lead whilst i'm in the shop though. I'm aware i'm probably just being paranoid but have read too many horror stories to take the chance.
xx Beanie and Sandy xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandy at Dymchurch beach by sabinaswithenbank, on Flickr

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 20 May 2012, 18:50

Being a well behaved dog outside a shop doesn't protect that poor dog from theives :cry:

I would never do it to any of my dogs, I just couldn't :( I am a big worrier though.

But I'm sure many others will have a different opinion on this.

Also the last dog I saw unsupervised outside a shop wasnt sat nicely at all!! :roll:

My Buddy got lunged at it outside ASDA last week, I didn't see the dog (neither did Bud he was just walking beside me) but it ended up with its paws latched on the back of Buds neck snarling :twisted: Buds moved sideways quickly and he never feels the need to defend himself thankfully :) but if the dogs lead was a couple of inches longer it could have reached forward to bite :(

But even a very friendly unsupervised dog can be a bit of a nightmare for distracting assistance and guide dogs (especially just outside shop doors)
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 20 May 2012, 18:59

I wouldn't leave my dog outside a shop anymore than I would leave a young child outside.

We have had a spate of dog thefts in Hampshire. I would be too afraid of her being taken.
Sarah and Jessie

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 20 May 2012, 19:20

For me, leaving a dog outside a shop just leaves it too vulnerable to all sorts of abuse :(

Not only theft, but other roaming dogs, and lets not forget the not so dog savvy children (like the one that pulled somebodies tail last week!)

Really good training though is taking your dog into places where they are allowed - most banks are fine, as are Post Offices (so long as they don't sell food)

Masil

Post by Masil » 20 May 2012, 19:31

It would be convenient sometimes but I wouldn't leave a dog outside a shop - there's too much that could go wrong. Also, I had a horrible (and embarrassing) experience years ago when I left my dog outside Somerfield and he got free and came in the shop. I nearly died when they announced ''would the owner of the large black dog please go to the bakery section' :oops: It's funny now but there's a busy road close by and it could have been so much worse.

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 20 May 2012, 19:35

Masil wrote:It would be convenient sometimes but I wouldn't leave a dog outside a shop - there's too much that could go wrong. Also, I had a horrible (and embarrassing) experience years ago when I left my dog outside Somerfield and he got free and came in the shop. I nearly died when they announced ''would the owner of the large black dog please go to the bakery section' :oops: It's funny now but there's a busy road close by and it could have been so much worse.
:lol: funny that he found his way to the bakery !

Luna gets tied up outside our post office but she can see me and I her.
Dawn & Luna x

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 20 May 2012, 20:10

I understand your opinions.

Thanks Sandy for the info :)

bedlingtondoodle

Post by bedlingtondoodle » 20 May 2012, 20:21

I daily leave mine outside the shop while I go in for a paper or milk etc.

I would guess that you are not talking about leaving them for long periods outside of the supermarkets, so working on a good strong stay and a wait with the lead attached to something is a good start. it is included in the Good Citizen scheme for this practicle reason.

If you were to worry about everything that could go wrong with everything you do, it would be impossible to live a near normal life :roll:
Lewie
Benson

tillytubbie

Post by tillytubbie » 20 May 2012, 20:44

Here's a story for you ....

I left Tilly outside Tesco Express last year. She's very good and will just sit there and wait. I was in the queue when I heard a bark and growl.
One of the shop assistants came in and said "Is that your dog? Someone has just tried to take him"

I dropped the shopping, and ran outside, to find Tilly standing in the same spot - but her lead about 10 ft away. :shock: :shock:

Apparentley she had snapped at the hooded man who had tried to take her and he had ran. :shock:

I rarely do it now - unless I can see her. But at least I know she won't let anyone take her.
She also doesn't take food from strangers - which is good! :)
Image Image Image

Mica1971

Post by Mica1971 » 20 May 2012, 21:36

Never have and never will. I hate seeing it, so many things could happen. I wont even leave Marley in the car while i nip in to a shop. They can have my car if they want it, but they not getting my dog . :?

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 May 2012, 22:04

I don't leave mine tied up anywhere either - it's too risky for them. We do teach them to sit and stay though, and at class we work towards being able to leave the room where they are sitting. Daisy doesn't worry, Poppy stares at he door after I have gone through it but stays put. Beamish gets very worried if he can't see me, but he is only young, and I'm sure that as we practise he will get there.

The trainers also set up tables and chairs, and we sit round the table, and take turns to leave the dogs sitting there, go to the kitchen and return with a cup, saucer and plate - practising for pub lunches! Last week we had to carry a cup full of water on a saucer with the same hand that held the lead - that concentrates your heel work! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 20 May 2012, 23:27

I don't and won't ever leave of my two our just one of them outside a shop. My friend had to write a statement for a court Hearing. The owner only went to the shop, to get a paper. The Dog won't walk with anyone other than her. The Dog us so laid back that you wonder if it is alive, as master what it will court sit or lie down and won't move until the owner say come on. This Dog was called bullet proof because even with cats. kids, people noises it was never phased. Stay meant stay. It is one of huge Japanese dogs can't think poof the breed, so going in to grab a paper was normal.
One day there was a load of screaming read chiming from outside , then the police come and took three Dog. There was a team of scanners that if they could not steal the Dog then they will beat the Dog until the Dog bites them, turbojet will press charges against the owner in prefer to get the Dog distroyed and compensation for personal injuries, the Osbert was distort as she knew the Dog was not in the wrong. Even though witness came forward the out come is still sad.she is not allowed to take the Dog out unless it is harnessed and wearing a completely boxed in muzzle. It is never allowed off lead, including when in its garden

Not sure whether the Dog was lucky because it is not allowed to be a Dog any more.

You have.to look at both sides for.and against and the for.and agonists and the out comes that could happen. My.mind got changed to affidavit that is my choice, do.what is right for.gov

jefferson

Post by jefferson » 21 May 2012, 09:34

only last week where i live, 2 dogs were 'snatched' from outside Tesco. The police believe that the dogs are then being used for dog fighting,and small dogs are being used as the 'bait' to get the more vicious dogs more wound up for the main event. Our local police are advising everyone who has a dog, to never leave unattended outside shops,it literally takes seconds for these people to get your dog in the back of a van/car and you will never see your pet again.