WARNING: Dog snatcher!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
lgri8211

WARNING: Dog snatcher!

Post by lgri8211 » 20 Jun 2012, 08:11

Hi all,

My friend has just sent a link to my facebook page it says......

Midlands, Warning Dog Owners
Snatchers! White van scam! There have been numerous dogs stolen from gardens, cars and houses, and snatched from people walking their dogs. A white van pulls up and a lady shouts for attention asking to show her husband the dog. This is when 2 men are getitng out of the van to hold back the owner whilst the lady takes the dog, They're believed to be travellers!

So please everyone in the Midlands be aware and careful, this was posted in the West Mids area on Facebook, but i guess we all need to be careful!
Makes me so angry that someone would try and take your dog whilst out walking, also scares me ;o(

pixie's mum

Re: WARNING: Dog snatcher!

Post by pixie's mum » 20 Jun 2012, 08:57

Thanks for the warning - it would be devastating to lose your dog this way.
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

Alibobs

Post by Alibobs » 20 Jun 2012, 09:17

Cant believe it! What a shocking thing to do and why? :shock: :x
Alison & Lola x

jefferson

Post by jefferson » 20 Jun 2012, 09:54

this seems to be spreading :evil: it started where i live a while ago. the theory (where i live) is that they take the bigger dogs for dog fighting and the smaller dogs as dog bait :evil: its just terrible,makes me sick. at first it seemed that they were taking dogs that were left outside of shops etc,but now it has started to escalate and are actually taking dogs when they are off lead running in parks/woods. this is the first time i have heard of the van pulling up/distraction. if you are on your own,you have got no chance if there are a few of them. the only thing we can do,is try to be extra vigilant and if possible,walk in pairs or groups of people if possible. i hope that if they catch these monsters,they actually deal with them appropriately and not a slap on the wrist,don't do it again scenario.

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 20 Jun 2012, 12:39

This has left me feeling very wobbly. It's just the thought of my much loved dog (and any dog) being put into such a frightening and violent situation.

Jeez, if I could get my hands on 'em :evil:
ImageImage

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 20 Jun 2012, 12:45

There were reports of this in the hampshire area a while ago too.
Sarah and Jessie

linny

Post by linny » 20 Jun 2012, 12:52

:shock: :shock: What a sad world we live in :( :( :(

I walk a lot on my own and I always carry a small can of Deep heat spray........a few squirts in their eyes would perhaps give someone a little time to get themselves and their dog away from a would be dog napper

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 20 Jun 2012, 16:00

Is it really true though? Usually this sort of report is just sent round to scare people. I have scoured the interne and can't find any instance of it reported in newspapers etc... anyone got a link to a newspaper story where this has truly happened?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

lgri8211

Post by lgri8211 » 20 Jun 2012, 16:58

I don't have any proof, its just what was sent to me by a friend on Facebook.

I didn't put it on here to scare people but to make people in my area aware, if i hadn't shared the information and something had happened to one of the local doodles (or any other dog) i'd have been racked with guilt not posting it on here.

What worries me is that i walk alone everyday with my 2 year old daughter so i couldn't fight for Jessie if someone tried to take her as i'd need to protect my daughter!

I hope it is untrue and some weirdo has just posted it on facebook to scare people but i will definately pay more attention on walks of strangers around!

tillytubbie

Post by tillytubbie » 20 Jun 2012, 17:49

Liz! wrote:Is it really true though? Usually this sort of report is just sent round to scare people. I have scoured the interne and can't find any instance of it reported in newspapers etc... anyone got a link to a newspaper story where this has truly happened?
My friend's dog was stolen from his garden by some people in a white van. (So the neighbours said).

http://www.doglost.co.uk/dog_blog.php?d ... tatus=Lost
Image Image Image

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 20 Jun 2012, 18:39

lgri8211 wrote: I didn't put it on here to scare people but to make people in my area aware, if i hadn't shared the information and something had happened to one of the local doodles (or any other dog) i'd have been racked with guilt not posting it on here.
I'd have posted it too, Igri, it's just I also have a healthy load of scepticism as lots of these things seem to be sent out by extremely strange people who want to scare loving dog owners such as us.

And now Tilly says her neighbour's dog was stolen like this...
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 20 Jun 2012, 19:46

Liz! wrote:Is it really true though? Usually this sort of report is just sent round to scare people. I have scoured the interne and can't find any instance of it reported in newspapers etc... anyone got a link to a newspaper story where this has truly happened?
I also thought the same, thinking that this would probably get wide reporting - we're a nation of dog lovers after all.

A search on the BBC news site did show a very similar "dog napping" in 2010, and I only did one quick search so I'm sure there are more stories.

However, there are an awful lot of "warning!" stories that are complete nonsense, I should know - I get to see a load from my Mother, always with the "just in case it's true" line!

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 20 Jun 2012, 19:58

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/9588833 ... _to_order/

This is the link to our local paper, it s not a myth.
BBC crime watch also have a page on the increase.
Sarah and Jessie

lgri8211

Post by lgri8211 » 21 Jun 2012, 07:42

I understand where people are coming from with it just being a scare story but there are stories out there where dogs have been stolen ;o(

Lucky in a way i have a shared garden with my neighbour so i never leave Jess out alone i always stand out with her but most of the time we don't use the garden i walk her to a field over the road so she has more of a run, but i go to my moms everyday and she spends alot of time in my parents garden with her 2 dogs but i'd guess it was a diffucult garden to get into!

What always has me sus is that so many people say to me 'how much was she?' or 'bet she was expensive' etc etc why do random strangers feel they can ask that????

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 21 Jun 2012, 07:55

We have been asked on a couple of occasions if Jessie is spayed - we always say yes even though she is not.
Labradoodles have been stolen to breed.
Sarah and Jessie