Whimpering.

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
stout

Whimpering.

Post by stout » 21 Jun 2012, 09:23

Stout has taken to eating half a chew, then walking round the house with it in his mouth whimpering. He has in the past couple of weeks started doing this with bones too. Last week he was standing by the door to upstairs with a bone crying, managed to get upstairs then laid down and merrily started chewing :roll: , he and his bone then promtly got evicted from our bedroom :shock: . We have had his teeth checked by the vet just as we thought maybe one was giving him grief to chewing was sore.

Last night we wnet to the pub for our 20th non wedding anniversary, Stout came too (its his local), after about 15 minutes he started 'mummy and daddy are mean to me, look I am so mistreated' wimpering with his bone in his mouth. When he dropped it I took it away, in the hope that when I gave it back it would be interesting and he would just chew it. No, he started the whimpering again.

Does anyone have any suggestions why he might be doing it? Or how we can stop him doing it?

Thanks
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Maggie111

Re: Whimpering.

Post by Maggie111 » 21 Jun 2012, 09:49

stout wrote:Last night we wnet to the pub for our 20th non wedding anniversary, Stout came too (its his local), after about 15 minutes he started 'mummy and daddy are mean to me, look I am so mistreated' wimpering with his bone in his mouth. When he dropped it I took it away, in the hope that when I gave it back it would be interesting and he would just chew it. No, he started the whimpering again.
Congratulations on your anniversary!!! I hope you had a lovely celebration.

No advice about the whimpering - is it only around the bone? Maybe he's learnt a behaviour about it? Could you swap the bone for something like a Nylabone, see if he still whimpers with it? Does he whimper when he chews on a rope or something?

If no change in a week I'd go back to the Vets - it can't be easy to spot a small problem in a dog's mouth - but as we all know with ulcers etc, small doesn't mean it's not incredibly painful!

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Jun 2012, 09:55

Daisy does it sometimes with a bone. I think with her it is when she has had enough for some reason, but doesn't want to put it down in case the bone thief steals it (her equivalent to the bogey man :lol: ). I remove it from her and give it back the next day - she seems happy with this. What I don't know is her reason for stopping :? She too has had a dental check and has no obvious problems. She does sometimes get an infection in her lip fold so maybe that plays her up.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Alfieandlindsey

Post by Alfieandlindsey » 21 Jun 2012, 12:15

Hmmmmmm, will be keeping an eye on this post with interest. Alfie does this aswell. It seems to be when he has a special treat but doesn't want it straight away. (like bid said). He wanders around the house as if he is looking for a hiding spot. In the end if he doesn't settle down we take it off him. I have been finding treats hidden behind cushions recently so I think he may be doing the equivalent to hiding his bone. Think I'll get the vet to check out hs teeth on our next visit though....

Lindsey and Alfie x

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 21 Jun 2012, 14:04

Barney used to wimper when given a bone as he didn't know quite what to do with it. (I think he wanted to bury it)

whirlwindmum

Post by whirlwindmum » 21 Jun 2012, 14:40

Alfie has always done this, with large treats and toys since he was tiny and he nearly 3 now.
When its food he is looking for somewhere special to eat it :roll:
When its toys he is telling us he wants to play :?
I have had him checked at vets their is nothing wrong with him :D
My vets said its just a odd little habit he has :lol: :lol:
i]Treena & Alfie[/i]

Daisy2

Post by Daisy2 » 21 Jun 2012, 15:48

Wilf does this with socks. He pinches them from upstairs, runs downstairs with them and sits there crying and whimpering with them. Sometimes it turns into a full blown howl :lol: As soon as I take them off him he is fine.

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 21 Jun 2012, 17:03

Happy 20th non wedding anniversary :D

I have no advice on the whimpering, but it seems that a lot of Doods do it.
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

SallyV

Post by SallyV » 21 Jun 2012, 20:30

Our springer spaniel Molly used to do this. I'd forgotten about it until I was reminded here. I think it's more of a 'this is a lovely treat but I don't know what to do with it' kind of whimper. She used to pace around with said treat in her mouth and if you took it off her she got all excited, bouncing around you and all enthusiastic so I'd give I'd give it back to her and the whimpering would start immediately. Very strange.... In the end I just let her get on with it. She'd sometimes lay down with it and had a chew on it or buried it for later. She'd reappear with a muddy brown nose and grubby
paws and I knew it had been dealt with!
I don't think I'd worry if I were you. It's one of those funny things they do!

Sally and Effie

stout

Post by stout » 21 Jun 2012, 21:18

Thanks everyone! He does it with larger rawhides and bones, but not toys. He does it after a while, so maybe it is when he is looking for somewhere to store it. He has been chewing the bone from yesterday this evening without a squeak! I just worry if he does it in the pub people will think we are being mean to him, maybe its the end of chews as pub bribery!

We did have a nice anniversary dinner, we might get hitched one day, but don't want to rush into these things, 20 years (plus 2 as friends) is hardly any time to get to know someone!!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 21 Jun 2012, 21:28

stout wrote:We did have a nice anniversary dinner, we might get hitched one day, but don't want to rush into these things, 20 years (plus 2 as friends) is hardly any time to get to know someone!!
We were together 8 years before we got married, we had our first argument after the wedding and it suddenly occured to me... "Wow, we'll have to call solicitors if this continues!"

:lol:

That's about the only difference, other than it's nice not to say "partner" anymore :roll:

karen 49

Post by karen 49 » 21 Jun 2012, 21:55

Happy Anniversary, no advice on whimpering. Murphy does whimper after his Dad, so annoying, Daddies boy, so annoying.x
ImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 21 Jun 2012, 22:02

Stout also whimpers after his daddy, especially when he goes out and leaves him with his horrid mummy. He is definately his daddies dog!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:

lara's mum

Post by lara's mum » 21 Jun 2012, 22:41

Congratulations on your 20 years!! Will you get an eternity ring at 25 years? :D

Lara does this occasionally. Usually when she has a new bone. At least their isn't a "doodle line" or all your friends at the pub would be calling a recording your cruelty to poor old stout!! :lol:
Alison & Lara

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 22 Jun 2012, 15:26

Dexter is with me most of the time ,but he loves hes daddy does everything he tells him too and im the one that tells him off.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.