PUPPY CLASS ASSESSMENT ON TUESDAY - DID YOU ALL PASS?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
J RALPH

PUPPY CLASS ASSESSMENT ON TUESDAY - DID YOU ALL PASS?

Post by J RALPH » 22 Jun 2012, 18:06

Hi Everyone

Scooby is 18 weeks old now and has been going to his puppy training class for 7 weeks now. Its the Kennel Club Good Citizen Puppy award (the first one).

We have our assessment on Tuesday and Im quite nervous about it!

He can do the sit stay, down stay, watch me, recall, sit in the close position but the thing we have a problem with at training is walking on a loose leash and walking past other dogs without pulling. Oh and also cant get him into the stand position. I try and lure him out of sit with a treat but he wont get up. With the loose leash stuff he just tries to hoover up whats on the floor, I have tried cheese, sausage and liver to keep his attention on me but hes just not bothered, more interested in the bits on the floor.

Apparantly we have to stand in a circle on Tuesday and each person has to walk their puppy up and down the circle with a loose lead and keep puppys attention.

Have any of you done the kennel club puppy class and passed first time?

Julie

Bid

Re: PUPPY CLASS ASSESSMENT ON TUESDAY - DID YOU ALL PASS?

Post by Bid » 22 Jun 2012, 18:20

You'll be fine! Doodles tend to come good when they are on display - just don't let Scooby know you are nervous, because that will put him off. I only did the KC awards with Daisy - she loves any oportunity to show off :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 22 Jun 2012, 19:10

Yes dont worry you will do fine,our dexter was very laid back at training class ,a sleep most of the time but he did very well top of class in most things,they just seem to know what they need to doand like showing off.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 22 Jun 2012, 19:12

Have you tried hot dog? Barney loves it - 45p a can in Tesco and it's the only think that gets his full attention!

Good luck!

sandyandbeanie

Post by sandyandbeanie » 22 Jun 2012, 20:20

To teach stand, try having him on leash, in the sit. Then walk backwards a little. When he stands treat and praise. Then add in the command. I had to use this method with Sandy as a food lure gets her too worked up. :)

Good luck with the assesment. I'm sure you'll fly through it with ease :D
xx Beanie and Sandy xx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sandy at Dymchurch beach by sabinaswithenbank, on Flickr

peachespointy

Post by peachespointy » 22 Jun 2012, 21:21

Hi

Good luck!! Rufus is really good with training at home but is a different dog when we get to puppy classes. The class I go to allows the dogs to play together for about 20 mins and then we do a bit of training....nothing serious, but a little bit of sit, down and heel work. The instructor thinks it's really important to aloow and teach them how to play and behave. However, Rufus gets sooooo excited so when it comes to the training im struglling to get him to concentrate, all he wants to do his play and hump!! lol

Anyway I have a few more weeks to go before his first assessment :D

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 22 Jun 2012, 21:57

Yep been there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Molly was a nightmare at classes, and when it came to our Bronze award, I just thought that there was no way we'd do it :( Our trainer's husband said to me "Just think positive....your feelings will spread down the lead.....and you will both be fine" ............and WE DID IT :lol: She went on to Silver.........but Gold was really a step too far, though I couldn't have a better behaved girl now :D (apart from ther thieving :lol: )

Good luck! You'll do it!!

PS Saffie was a Goody Two Shoes :lol:
Ei, Molly and Saffie

eileenandmolly

Post by eileenandmolly » 22 Jun 2012, 21:57

Yep been there :lol: :lol: :lol:

Molly was a nightmare at classes, and when it came to our Bronze award, I just thought that there was no way we'd do it :( Our trainer's husband said to me "Just think positive....your feelings will spread down the lead.....and you will both be fine" ............and WE DID IT :lol: She went on to Silver.........but Gold was really a step too far, though I couldn't have a better behaved girl now :D (apart from ther thieving :lol: )

Good luck! You'll do it!!

PS Saffie was a Goody Two Shoes :lol:
Ei, Molly and Saffie

lara's mum

Post by lara's mum » 22 Jun 2012, 22:51

You will be fine i am sure.

We didnt do the puppy one but did the bronze when lara was 8 months.

I was convinced she would fail as we hadnt once done all the things right on the same night and she had only been going 6 weeks, but it was as if she knew and just showed off!!

Ohh - apart from when she stole the assessors purse out of her handbag :oops:
Alison & Lara

iceprincess10x

Post by iceprincess10x » 24 Jun 2012, 08:20

Bailey never did puppy assessment but passed bronze first time! Then the teenage years kicked in and he was a nightmare and took forever to pass his silver but he's now working on gold! He loves rally obedience though! You'll be fine doodles love to learn!