Sleeping with his head on me

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
peachespointy

Sleeping with his head on me

Post by peachespointy » 22 Jun 2012, 21:26

Hi all,

I was reading somewhere online about reasons why dogs sleep with their head/paw or some body part touching you and one article says it's the way dogs exhibit their dominance. I always thought it was because they wanted to be near you and would wake up if you got up to move.

Rufus is not dominant at all. My previous dog always slept with something resting on my or touching me. If I got up to move to another seat she would come with me.....Rufus does this as well.

What do you all think?

eileenandmolly

Re: Sleeping with his head on me

Post by eileenandmolly » 22 Jun 2012, 21:48

I have a veritable library of dog books :oops: And to me, dogs cuddling up close is a sign of family cohesion and affection. I don't believe in any of the dominance theories.

I think you're safe :lol: As you already know from experience :)
Ei, Molly and Saffie

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 22 Jun 2012, 22:02

:lol: I agree - with Eileen :lol:
just love and affection in my mind :D
Dawn & Luna x

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 22 Jun 2012, 22:34

Jessie doesn't have a dominant bone in her, she does this.i am sure she just likes us to know she loves us.
Sarah and Jessie

justinwest

Post by justinwest » 22 Jun 2012, 23:09

sounds like you got yourself a dog that is happy and content within your home / pack!
its just a sign of closeness and affection!
the whole dominance theory can turn some dog owners into raging loons, in the same way the qur'an can turn people into suicide bombers, its all in the interpretation!!

theres a huge difference in dominance and being the boss!

freddy does the same, will shift seats to be near us where ever we go, unless fully asleep! but he usually worms his way under our feet!!! :D

enjoy your happy loving dog!!!!
Justin
]Image
Freddy West - as much trouble as his namesake (almost!)

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 23 Jun 2012, 08:02

I once read that wolves in the wild sleep touching eachother so that they could protect eachother, which is also a lovely idea. Lottie does this too and I take it as a mark of affection!

Fiona and Lottie

Liz!

Post by Liz! » 23 Jun 2012, 09:49

I agree, Lola is not a wolf, neither is any domestic dog. They mutated a long, long time ago into a different type of animal, they have adapted to be symbiotic with us - the can read out emotions through one of our eyes (scientifically proven) and they have been bred, bred, bred to remove any wildness and as much dominance and aggression as is posible.

Obviously thee is variation as in any creature but - I believe they enjoy being with us - and where else are they going to put themselves to associate and show love? Underneath?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read ~ Groucho Marx

ArchieBoy

Post by ArchieBoy » 23 Jun 2012, 14:16

I agree :) NOT a sign of dominance, more love, affection and closeness :)

Archie lies on the sofa between me and other half and he usually has his back end pressed up against me and his head across James's lap. He will get up and change position, but he likes to lie across my knee. Maybe it's because I am more squashy :shock:

Bedtime, he sleeps with his body on my pillow and head on my shoulder and is there for a good hour and he falls fast and deep asleep. :?

I wouldn't have Archie any other way and like others have said, he hasn't a dominant bone in his body :D

Kirsty and Archie

ImageImage

elainendexter

Post by elainendexter » 23 Jun 2012, 15:35

Dexter always sits in johns seat next to me ,i think thats a bit dominance thing ,because he never seems to bother when john is not here .Its like saying im sitting next to mom not you.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

mistydog

Post by mistydog » 23 Jun 2012, 19:14

I always thought Freddie slept on mine or OH's feet 'cos he didn;t have a pillow :D

iceprincess10x

Post by iceprincess10x » 24 Jun 2012, 08:14

Since day 1 bailey has always used us or my other dog as a pillow. He just like comfort and feels safe when he's cuddled. I also love my cuddles from him too!

Sarah Bevan

Post by Sarah Bevan » 24 Jun 2012, 20:45

In addition to this post - Since Jessie came into season (Thursday ) she is resting her head on any human part she has access too. It us definatly for comfort , bless her :(
Sarah and Jessie

chris'n'ron

Post by chris'n'ron » 24 Jun 2012, 21:29

Treacle sits on my feet with her chin on my lap looking up at me and the look in those eyes is definitely NOT dominance :D She always seems to feel the need to have contact with you. Even asleep on the floor she'll lean in to your legs. Maybe I am misinterpretating and she really means "you're going nowhere!" :shock: :shock: :lol: I don't think so. More like "you're going nowhere without ME" :D We love her constant licks and snuggling in. Just her way of communicating.

TREACLE

Barneyboy

Post by Barneyboy » 25 Jun 2012, 08:03

In Wolf and wild dog packs, the 'dominant' animal is normally at the bottom of the pile, where it's warm and cosy. Why should he get chilly lying on top of everyone else?