Attacked by a Bull Mastiff

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
The Turners

Attacked by a Bull Mastiff

Post by The Turners » 23 Jun 2012, 14:30

We were out on straws bridge today, had wonderful walk :D . We were on our way back to car. When I saw man on the path looking worried, he was holding a dog lead, so I asked is your dog friendly, although we couldn’t see the dog, it was obvious he was concerned.

I told mum to put her two dogs (cavalier King Charles spaniels) on leads & I put wurly on her lead. Out of the bushes came a large Bull mastiff. It made a bee line for Wurly & bit her on her bum :( , I kicked it away, then it went for Taffy :( , the smallest of the dogs, I managed to get her out of its way & then Brandy my parents other dog stood in between the dog & the girls, & tried to defend them :) .

The dog went straight at him pinning him to the floor, the guy came running over and rugby tacked his own dog to the floor getting him off Brandy.
It was such a shock, I was so angry & Frightened that I was horrible to the man; I swore & gave him a mouthful :twisted: :oops: . I didn’t even thank him for getting his dog off :oops: . (Although Hubby said I should not feel guilty about that :wink: )

The dogs are fine. Brandy was very shook up he’s 11 so we were very worried about him, but he seems fine. Wurly is fine no broken skin, just a bit sore, she was more concerned that she lost her ball in the fracases, & was trying to find it whilst he was attacking her :roll: .
Mum & I are ok, mum was a bit shook up, she’s 69 so Hubby, Dad & I were concerned, but she’s doing fine apart from a headache, from being scared.

Before the attack – having a good time.

Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

elainendexter

Re: Attacked by a Bull Mastiff

Post by elainendexter » 23 Jun 2012, 15:28

Hope they are all ok and your mom its horried when that happens it happened to me a couple of weeks back ,with german shepard ,it does shake you up ,im very nervous on my walks now ,we have been to a new park today and dexter was playing with a dog and then this lady came across with her smalish dog and dexter went to sy hello it ran at our dexter ,he couldnt make out why he didnt want to play.
Image this is when grandaughter put dexter some platts in.

pamela1

Post by pamela1 » 23 Jun 2012, 15:49

Hi
Hope you are all ok. Why do people not keep their dogs on leads when they are aggressive. The man obviously knew his dog is flighty otherwise he wouldn't have looked concerned when he saw you. I don't blame you in the least giving him a mouthfull, it may make him think twice in future about having his dog off its lead.
Take care
Pamela1

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 23 Jun 2012, 16:21

Oh no!! What a horrible ordeal!!

I don't blame you for shouting at the man, ok if you had the time and composure to think of what you'd like to say to him that's different but in the shock of a dog attacking all your peaceful loving dogs you really can't be expected to react any other way.

I'm so glad that aside from being all shook up you're all ok though - very lucky too I imagine x

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 23 Jun 2012, 16:46

Gosh ! what a fright you must have had ! poor Wurly and all the others :(
i dont blame you for shouting at the man - i would have wanted to do the same.
hope your all ok - bless your wee mum. x
Dawn & Luna x

FelixTheDoggy

Post by FelixTheDoggy » 23 Jun 2012, 17:03

Why let your dog off if you know it may do something like that :evil: , I'd have given him a right mouthfull too, so don't worry. Most dog fights are just a lot of noise and alarming at the time, but knowing the power such a dog possesses, must have been very frightening. Really glad you are all okay :) , as it sounds like it had the potential to turn out much worse.

ArchieBoy

Post by ArchieBoy » 23 Jun 2012, 17:06

Oh no! What a horrible and frightening experience :( I don't blame you one bit for giving the owner a mouthful. You only did what we all would do in those circumstances.

If the man knew his dog was so vicious, why on Earth didn't he get his dog on a lead when he saw you coming? It really, really annoys me that people don't bother to get their dogs on leads when others approach :evil:

I am so pleased Wurly, Taffy and Brandy are unhurt, albeit shocked and hope this has no negative impact on them - although I am doubting very much it will Wurly. Bless her :)

As for your mum, it's probably shock. A huge bull mastiff against her cavalier must be a horrible thing to witness. An easy, stress free night for her I think :)

Glad all dogs and humans are okay though. Take care

Kirsty and Archie

ImageImage

Alfieandlindsey

Post by Alfieandlindsey » 23 Jun 2012, 17:47

Oh god Nicky how frightening for you all. Thank god everyone is ok, although obviously shaken up... Look after yourselves, sending my love xx

Lindsey and Alfie x

Zetti Doodle

Post by Zetti Doodle » 23 Jun 2012, 18:03

So sorry to hear about your nasty experience Nicky - no wonder you gave the man a mouthful :( I do hope Wurly, Taffy and Brandy suffer no ill-effects from their run-in with his dog! Also you and your poor mum.........it must have totally shaken you up. Sending hugs to you all x
Mimi, Rossetti and Raphaella, the Spanish Water Dog x

[url=http://pitapata.com]Image[url]

jefferson

Post by jefferson » 23 Jun 2012, 18:40

you poor things :cry: i hope you are all ok. the fact that you only gave that bloke a mouthful i think shows great restraint,i would have been tempted to bite him (although not on his bum eww yuk). the people we go dog walking with, often have this discussion about what we would do if our own dogs started to show aggressive behaviour (there is a dog locally who has gone for a few of the dogs),and we all agree that the first thing we would do is get a muzzle,it is the most sensible thing to do and the right thing to do.im sorry you all had such a nasty experience,sending you big hugs xx

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 23 Jun 2012, 20:07

Thanks all of you. Mum is ok, Dad gave her a shot of rum in her Latte, (she doesn’t drink :lol: ) so she’s feeling fine now. :wink:

As for the guy I don’t feel too bad about shouting at him, but I do think I should have thanked him for the way threw himself at his dog to stop the attack. But in the heat of the moment I didn’t :( .

From what I read on here some owners don’t even try to stop their dogs :shock: , we’ve never been on the receiving end of an out of control dog, so it was a bit of a shock :( . We’ve been walking there for many years, so I just hope mum doesn’t feel nervous about going back next week.
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 23 Jun 2012, 21:08

I'm glad wurly and her doggie friends are ok and I'm sure they have forgotten all about it - it is the hoomans who suffer the after shocks so hope you are all ok
Bull Mastiffs are such big dogs (I have one) and if nasty they are a sight to behold - the man deserved a mouthful be being irresponsible even if he did try to sort it out
I hate the thought of wurly girlie being attacked and her trying to find her ball - bless her
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

jodieandbuddy

Post by jodieandbuddy » 23 Jun 2012, 22:17

oh poor wurly :( must have been horrible for you to witness :shock: I hope it doesnt effect your Mums confidence in any way :( the dog should have been on lead and muzzled if he had known aggression issues, which it sounds like it did from the guys behaviour.

I am part of a group on facebook about assistance dog attacks and even when a dog isn't badly hurt, the emotional issues and sudden fright from something similar is horrible :twisted: but these people have no idea how frightening it is when their dog approaches growling, snapping and snarling :cry:
Jodie and Buddy

http://www.youtube.com/user/norau9j82?feature=watch check out our YouTube vids :D
http://www.buddy-doodle.com and our website!

PeggyS

Post by PeggyS » 24 Jun 2012, 01:04

Me and Pegs were horrified when we read this. I don't know what I would have done in that situation. Its at times like this that I realise how inexperienced I am. Love to you all. Quite fancy a rum latte myself. XX

chris'n'ron

Post by chris'n'ron » 24 Jun 2012, 13:13

What a frightening experience for you all. Such a big powerful dog. I'm 69 too and can really empathise with your Mum. I'm always wary of strange dogs off lead at any time (must have had a bad experience at one time) and that would have been my nightmare. As someone said, it's mainly all noise in these confrontations but my mind works overtime visualising all sorts of injuries, I start to shake, legs turn to jelly and THEN the anger kicks in. That irresponsible owner would've got a mouthful from me too so don't beat yourself up about it. If his aggressive dog had been on a lead he wouldn't have needed his 'Superman act'. Nothing wrong with a tot of rum to settle the shock - in my case the darker the better- Mmmm. :lol: So glad your all reasonably ok and over the trauma. :D

TREACLE