Immi's first walk (pics)

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Immi

Immi's first walk (pics)

Post by Immi » 05 Aug 2012, 18:41

Now Immi has been fully vaccinated for the last week, we took her out for her first public outing, to Ty Mawr Country Park :D She started off a little unsure, but she soon got into the swing of things. She proved to be very popular, with everyone asking what breed she is, and saying "oh isn't she gorgeous" and "I want one" and "my friend/relative is allergic and they are the only kind of dog she/he could have" to which I of course felt impelled to correct them, saying that only a very small proportion of doodles are hypo-allergenic and they would be better off with a poodle or schnauzer, to which they seemed shocked. Immi met lots of other dogs and children, and was great with all of them, apart from one horrid little yorkie which seemed intent on ripping the head of any dog it saw! When we went into the kids playground she got mobbed by a horde of adoring children cooing over her! Immi was in her element! :lol: We came accross a 6ft wooden carving of a catapillar, to which Immi growled and barked at when my son went over to it! She gets anxious if she thinks he might get hurt. The only thing that didn't go great was that she refused to go wee or poo for the 3hrs we were out of the house for! She was desperate when we got home, and had the longest wee ever :roll: Usually during the day she goes at least every 45mins.

Gav & Becks.

Maggie111

Re: Immi's first walk (pics)

Post by Maggie111 » 05 Aug 2012, 19:02

Aww Immi! Congratulations on a great first walk!! Barney also struggled with peeing outdoors so I just got everything ready for a walk the night before so when I woke him up in the morning I took him straight out the front door to a bit of grass outside the house and told him to wee, and waited till he did. I had a fantastic treat ready and gave him lots of super praise. Then I tried to do that as often as I could if I thought he needed the toilet. Took 2 days. A public poo took longer! :lol:

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Aug 2012, 19:21

Well done Immi - the world is your oyster now! :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 05 Aug 2012, 20:37

she will sleep well tonight - that was a big first walk
She will dram of all those new experiences and may even dream-bark at that pesky caterpillar
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 05 Aug 2012, 21:16

Lovely photo's. Enjoy the big wide world Immi. :D
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

kobi&jazz

Post by kobi&jazz » 05 Aug 2012, 22:29

Lovely little Doodle - gorgeous colour :)

Immi

Post by Immi » 05 Aug 2012, 23:04

pixie's mum wrote:she will sleep well tonight - that was a big first walk
She will dream of all those new experiences and may even dream-bark at that pesky caterpillar
Kathy
Only about twenty mins of actual walking, much of the time was taken up by driving, people fussing over Immi, playground and ice cream! :D She's a bit too little for long walks yet, and I don't want to stress those developing hip and elbow joints. The caterpillar incident was hilarious, but I hope not too much dream barking tonight, she sleeps in our room :wink:
Gav & Becks.

nicollf

Post by nicollf » 06 Aug 2012, 07:27

Gorgous pics. What a lovely 'doodle' day you had, I'm sure you will have many more!

Lottie and Fiona

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 06 Aug 2012, 08:00

When mine where pups they never went to the toilet in public places to start off. I think the scents were too overwelming to start as the higher some dogs wee the higher they are in the dog world which would make any new puppy unsure of territory. It took a few weeks but they then seemed comfortable enough with the all of the doggy and cat scents to wee and poo. I always used to give mine sweetcorn before going out because I knew then what poo was ours to pick up Lol!!!!!

The Griswalls

Post by The Griswalls » 06 Aug 2012, 08:40

She is a little stunner she is!

Not sure if this will work for you but when any of my dogs have been a bit unsure of certain objects I have stroked the object a couple of times with my hand. Next thing you know they suddenly realise that it not going to hurt them and give it a little sniff.

If it something that really spooked them and they won't come up to it, I have put a treat near it to give them a bit of incentive and before you know it they aren't bothered at all.

Have fun on your new adventures.
Amanda John Ruby & Ember xx

ImageImage
ImageImage

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 06 Aug 2012, 08:51

Sounds like a lovely day :D
She is absolutely gorgeous !! Beautiful colour. Your pics are really lovely and have a summery romantic feel to them :D
Keep them coming ! We need more of immi :D
Dawn & Luna x

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 06 Aug 2012, 23:51

Immi ...now the fun begins 8)
Looks like everyone was having a good day out

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 07 Aug 2012, 20:22

:D Lovely Pics :D Made me smile.
ImageImageImageImage

venart

Post by venart » 07 Aug 2012, 21:24

Oh, lovely!! Good job, Immi!!

As for the weeing problem, do you have a wee command? If you start using one, you could stop periodically on your walks and tell her to "go wee" or we use "get clean", and she'll realise she can go anywhere outside, and not just in her spot at home.

It's flat out impressive that she physically CAN hold it that long, though!
Emily and Wispa

Immi

Post by Immi » 07 Aug 2012, 22:12

Yeah she has a wee command "go wee" which she will do as soon as i say it in the garden, but to no avail when out. Twice today I have waited until she asked to go out to the garden, then put on her harness and taken her for a walk through some local fields and used the command a lot. But still no wee. Tomorrow i will be putting her on the lead every time she goes out into the garden so she will hopefully get used to weeing with her harness on, perhaps that will help.
Gav & Becks.