Email from The Animal Health Trust

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
lizziesmum

Email from The Animal Health Trust

Post by lizziesmum » 18 Oct 2012, 11:10

Ive had an Email from The Animal Health Trust,here,s a copy of it,

Seasonal canine illness to feature on BBC's Countryfile
Sunday 21 October
The AHT’s SCI investigation is kindly supported by The Kennel Club
Hello
Seasonal canine illness to feature on BBC's Countryfile
We would like to inform you that the Animal Health Trust's investigation into seasonal canine illness (SCI) will feature on BBC's Countryfile this Sunday 21 October, with the programme on air from 18:20.

As part of his 'Investigates...' series, Tom Heap speaks with Dr. Richard Newton who is spearheading the AHT's investigation into SCI. Tom will also report from woodlands where suspected cases of SCI have recently been reported. If you are a dog owner who is still unsure about what SCI is, what the clinical signs are and how you can help our investigation into this mystery illness, please watch this episode.

You can watch it live on BBC1 on 21 October or when it becomes available on BBC iPlayer for the following week.

Investigation update

We created an online questionnaire in 2010 to help us with our investigation into SCI and have had a great response to our plea for information.

So far this year the AHT has received over 300 completed questionnaires. Of these, we have been made aware of 60 cases of suspected SCI from all of our study sites - Sandringham Estate, Thetford Forest, Clumber Park, Sherwood Forest and Rendlesham Forest - as well as in other areas.

We require information from people whose dogs have been taken ill with the clinical signs of SCI, as well as from owners whose dogs have not been taken ill after walking at the study sites as this information is still incredibly valuable in helping to rule things out. You can complete our online questionnaire by clicking here.

Keep up-to-date with the latest news on SCI

As soon as we have significant updates on SCI we will issue an e-alert

Maggie111

Re: Email from The Animal Health Trust

Post by Maggie111 » 18 Oct 2012, 11:16

Excellent thank you, when I looked into it before it wasn't in my area but I would still like to know more :)

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 18 Oct 2012, 11:25

Its not in South Derbyshire but I have to say both Arri and Lizzie are not at all well at the moment.

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 18 Oct 2012, 15:21

Oh no, what's up with them? Lizzie seemed fine on Sunday :(
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

Vincento

Post by Vincento » 18 Oct 2012, 18:09

Many thanks for posting this Freda and hope your two have improved now ?

Will be watching CF on Sunday evening but as for the AHT wanting people to complete their online survey if you've walked your dog in the suspect areas ... it's a no no for us as we keep well away until the season has passed (shame as we really love going to Sandringham) so will never be able to help them either with an ill dog or a well one ...like most people we don't want to tempt fate :(
Vince doodle ...you will always find him in the kitchen at parties ......

ImageImage

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 18 Oct 2012, 19:50

Clairejen wrote:Oh no, what's up with them? Lizzie seemed fine on Sunday :(
Claire you wont believe it,I had the email at the exact time that Lizzie and Arri were being sick and liquid poo squirting out.The AHT say we havent got SCI in South Derbyshire yet this is the 3rd time that Lizzies had something similar to it.This is 24 hours so lets hope it just passes and its not SCI.
xx

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 18 Oct 2012, 20:07

How scary, and how mean for both to fall sick - I hope they both get better super quick xxx

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 19 Oct 2012, 17:01

I'm very interested in this too - filled in the questionnaire 3 years ago when my welsh terrier Harry had a very bad illness that nearly killed him - the vet wanted to put him down but we insisted he be given a chance and the overnight vet's managed to save him. (It was the same week we got Rosie, luckily she was fine as she wasn't going out then due to vaccinations). We hadn't been anywhere near the usual places for the illness though. A few dogs over our local park had been ill too.
Sue and Rosie

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 19 Oct 2012, 18:47

An update on Arri and Lizzie.....Arri is def on the mend and Lizzie is just this minute eating for the 1st time in 3days,bless her she,s still looks to chunky.
I just hope she,s now recovering as well.
Ive been thinking I might get in touch with the AHT,They might like Lizzies details which are that she,s been ill 3 times with something similar to SCI,always in the middle of Oct,
1st time I thought she was going to die,
2nd time antibiotics and stomach medicine cleared it up
and this year although she,s been ill and not eating,there,s been no loss of colour on her gums,and only a slightly raised temperature,its as if she,s slept it of.

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 20 Oct 2012, 07:36

Lizziesmum, The AHT are interested to hear about any illnesses of this sort even if its in a different area from the main causes of concern (I think they have a list).

Harry was so ill, it was just running out of him and he was moaning with the pain of it. He was on a drip and the medicine wasn't working after 12 hours in the vet. As they don't keep animals overnight we insisted he was given another chance and we had to transport him, with drip, in our car to the overnight vets which was a 30 min drive away. It was thick fog and we had Rosie at home who was 9 weeks old! It was an absolute nightmare but the vet there changed his meds and they managed to save him although she had been very doubtful he would survive. Unfortunately his tummy was never the same again but he was old, 12 years, at the time.

Hope all your poorly ones get better soon, sending them hugs and kisses!
Sue and Rosie

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 20 Oct 2012, 07:37

Lizziesmum, The AHT are interested to hear about any illnesses of this sort even if its in a different area from the main causes of concern (I think they have a list).

Harry was so ill, it was just running out of him and he was moaning with the pain of it. He was on a drip and the medicine wasn't working after 12 hours in the vet. As they don't keep animals overnight we insisted he was given another chance and we had to transport him, with drip, in our car to the overnight vets which was a 30 min drive away. It was thick fog and we had Rosie at home who was 9 weeks old! It was an absolute nightmare but the vet there changed his meds and they managed to save him although she had been very doubtful he would survive. Unfortunately his tummy was never the same again but he was old, 12 years, at the time.

Hope all your poorly ones get better soon, sending them hugs and kisses!
Sue and Rosie

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 20 Oct 2012, 07:40

Oops sorry about the double post!

I might add, we changed our vets to one that has local overnight care!
Sue and Rosie

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 20 Oct 2012, 08:02

That sounds dreadful.Good that you changed vets.

They are both better today,I will take them out but its a question of where,I dont want to go anywhere risky with more bugs etc.

The 1st time Lizzie had it the vet did say that there had been a death of a local dog but it was a small terrier and Lizzie was/is a strong,large,weighty girl.To see her lying still with black sticky,half digested blood coming out of both ends at the same time was terrifying.
My point with AHT is that Lizzie has nothing like this at any other time of year and maybe she,s developed some resistance to it.
I dont know.....they might be interested though.

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 21 Oct 2012, 19:51

SusieQ...Ive emailed AHT,with some details of Lizzies illness,on CF they said that a Harvest mite could be responsible,well Lizzie was bitten on the lip it made a lump and she needed vet meds to clear it up,just the other week.I do wonder though if she could be building up some immunity to whatever it is,she,s def not been as ill this year.Its a good job that she,s a big girl,when she was bit the vet weighed her in at 36.6kg..I weighed her yesterday she was 32.6kg,I will say she looks better for the weight loss.She,s still not eating very much,only 600gram since last Monday.She does seem better in herself.xx

travis

Post by travis » 21 Oct 2012, 20:18

I saw the program this evening. I wonder how many of the dogs that become ill have had a tick treatment, or to put it another way, I wonder if tick treatment like Advantix offers any protection.

Useful information for anyone heading across the channel by car.Driving to Portugal Our Way
Mechanical Rodeo Bull Hire For private parties & fun days.