Breeder Advice

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
DevonHammer

Breeder Advice

Post by DevonHammer » 26 Oct 2012, 12:57

We're looking to get a chocolate standard labradoodle in the new year and I'm looking for a few bits of advice about breeders.

Firstly does anyone know of any reputable breeders in Devon (ideally North Devon)? Trentishoe Doodles looked ideal, but they have retired their bitch from breeding and now only offer their dog for stud. The nearest litter that I have been able to find is in Shropshire which isn't impossible, but it would be nice to have a choice.

Secondly, has anyone got any experiences with NotJustAnyOld Labradoodles in Shropshire? They look like reputable breeders from their website and on the telephone and we're going to visit them next week to meet (expecting) mum and dad, but it would be great if anyone has personal experiences.

Thanks

Bid

Re: Breeder Advice

Post by Bid » 26 Oct 2012, 13:42

Hi there - I am "next door" in Dorset, and there are a few good breeders here.

You can contact Bridget Hodder on this forum (she bred my cream doodle, and a fair few other doodles on here and has become a good friend) - Bridget often knows of litters planned in the area as she has a stud dog so gets contacted by potential breeders a fair bit

Didlington Doodles .... http://www.labradoodles.uk.com/ - I got my adorable black doodle from them - he has the most amazing temperament

Cream of British are in Hampshire http://www.creamofbritish-australianlabradoodles.com/ , and I long to have one of their doodles - I hope I will one day!

These three all take great care with their breeding programmes, are meticulous about health testing and are knowledgeable breeders
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

venart

Post by venart » 26 Oct 2012, 15:45

I would suggest that you don't discount small breeders who don't necessarily have a website. Wispa came from a woman who had bred her two family pets. They had all their health checks, and it was quite apparent how much she and her daughter loved their dogs. There were 9 healthy puppies and a lot of interest, though she advertised through pets4homes. There must be other reputable smalltime family breeders around! I couldn't have gotten a better puppy - she's a dream!
Emily and Wispa

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 26 Oct 2012, 16:17

:D Very true Emil. I have just had a litter from my smasing Doodles Bailey and Coco :D This was my first litter. I have been extreemly happy with all the familys I have chosen so far. Hopefully a few will appear on here soon. I carefully vetted each and every family. and supplied them all with a book on Labradoodles to study :D :D Very Happy nearly have all my puppies homed and everone is over the moon with their new bundle of love :D
ImageImageImageImage

DevonHammer

Post by DevonHammer » 26 Oct 2012, 16:51

Thanks for all the advice.

Helena, I've sent you a PM.

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 26 Oct 2012, 22:04

hi ! make sure you ask loads of questions and that all relevent tests are done - best of luck :)
Dawn & Luna x

Bid

Post by Bid » 26 Oct 2012, 22:22

Rowan11 wrote:hi ! make sure you ask loads of questions and that all relevent tests are done - best of luck :)
Absolutely - have a look at the breeders code of practice at the top of each section on here - that is a great place to start with your list of questions for the breeder :D

Also, have a look at the labradoodle puppy finder - they have a lot of advice, and lists of litters and expected litters ..... http://www.labradoodlepuppyfinder.com/
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron