Anybody else a guilty doodle owner...? Or is it just me :(

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Lisa88

Anybody else a guilty doodle owner...? Or is it just me :(

Post by Lisa88 » 29 Oct 2012, 15:04

Just interested in other people's opinions on owning a doodle dog....

I was warned that it would be hard work, time consuming, a commitment etc etc but I was not told about the sense of permanent guilt I would feel!

I love Vinnie to pieces and we've had him now for four months now (he's about 13 months old) but I find I am constantly feeling guilty. Feel as if he hasn't been walked enough, has he had enough cuddles, he got too muddy, he hasn't been groomed enough, been groomed too much, not enough attention, not enough stimulation, guilty at spending a fortune on him, guilty at not spending enough on him, feeling bad as he hasn't made many doggy friends, he's left alone, not enough of a structured routine for him....... And so the list goes on.

I'm surprised about feeling like this as it was not something I expected when taking on a doodle (I was expecting more embarrassment and humiliation!!). Please tell me everybody has bouts of doodle guilt..? I guess mine is reinforced as he follows me around the house all the while, just waiting and watching. No loopy moments or tail wagging, just standing and staring into thin air! He seems to always be wanting something more. Perhaps I'm over analysing it all!!

Any opinions hugely appreciated!

Immi

Re: Anybody else a guilty doodle owner...? Or is it just me

Post by Immi » 29 Oct 2012, 15:24

I understand where you are coming from, it's too easy to worry so much about an dog because you love them so much! It is much the same as with children - there is a saying; "a mother's burden is guilt" and I think you have discovered it's meaning. Ask yourself this; is he loved, cared for, healthy and fit? If the answer is yes then you do not need to feel guilt :)
Gav & Becks.

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 29 Oct 2012, 15:25

ha ha
I know just what you need .......................
another doodle - that'll sort you out :lol:
Kathy
ImageImage
ImageImage

Alfitil

Post by Alfitil » 29 Oct 2012, 16:08

If I didn't know any better I thought you were talking about me :lol: I seem to think the same maybe it's because the kids have left home now. On the plus side we have two little darlings who have many doodle dashes in the house and many Waggy tails, it still doesn't stop me feeling guilty going out to work for five hours :cry:

roxie20

Post by roxie20 » 29 Oct 2012, 18:04

I'm exactly the same!!! Dolly my bigger Doodle has recently had an op on her leg and cannot be let off the lead for 3 months :( We are now into week 6 and it has been a nightmare.......I feel so sorry for her and I spend my whole time worrying about her and feeling guilty!!! My housework has suffered, as has my social life because I feel the need to spend as much time with her as possible.......my husband and grown kids think I'm bonkers and keep saying "Mum , she's just a dog". I should have shares at 'Pets at Home' because I have spent a fortune on chews and toys to keep her entertained when I can't be with her.

Leah

Post by Leah » 29 Oct 2012, 20:22

As a mum of 3 boys and 1 doodle I pretty much spend my whole life feeling that someone isn't getting enough time/attention!
So I totally understand...
I've come to the conclusion that all a dog really needs is company, exercise and food, they don't really need "stuff" and they certainly don't care if they're muddy/smelly (same as the boys now I think about it!!)

Leah

roxie20

Post by roxie20 » 29 Oct 2012, 20:29

Lol, Leah x

dexter14

Post by dexter14 » 29 Oct 2012, 20:31

I am the same ,when he sleeps most of the time ,i think hes board and i dont walk him long enough ,then i worry if im feeding him enough cause hes always wanting food ,but i think thats just greed cos hes weight is ok.I think its just cause they are our babys ,i just think as long as they get food love and warmth and they are happy what eles do they need.
]Image

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 29 Oct 2012, 20:33

Yes I am feeling very much the same, have had a few serious debates with my husband whether keeping him is the right thing. We are in such a good situation to keep him, and yet - I know many dogs have better lives than he does. It is no comfort that a lot of dogs lead a much worse life :cry:
Last edited by Maggie111 on 29 Oct 2012, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.

labradoodlelindsey

Post by labradoodlelindsey » 29 Oct 2012, 20:38

We have had Somer a year now and I think I am just begining to relax a bit. We all worried about her for months, just like you said is she happy, why does she wonder round the house after me, is she walked enough or too much. I was particularly bad for the first 2 weeks, my husband called it post puppy depression! We all agree now she is fine and its just her and we love her. Dont stress it will settle down.

Lisa88

Post by Lisa88 » 29 Oct 2012, 21:01

Thank you all!

I feel very reassured! I'm not the only one that's nutty about my doodle!

As my OH reminds me everything takes time. He's settled pretty well so far.

Can't even begin to imagine how it must be with children!

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 29 Oct 2012, 21:57

God yes I'm always feeling guilty about something, like when Biggles managed to swallow a stone to maybe that walk wasn't long enough etc etc. I think I worried less with the kids :lol: :lol:

lizziesmum

Post by lizziesmum » 30 Oct 2012, 06:44

Maggie111 wrote:Yes I am feeling very much the same, have had a few serious debates with my husband whether keeping him is the right thing. We are in such a good situation to keep him, and yet - I know many dogs have better lives than he does. It is no comfort that a lot of dogs lead a much worse life :cry:

I love that pic of Barney.

venart

Post by venart » 30 Oct 2012, 10:23

I don't usually feel particularly guilty, as Wispa tends to be a spoiled rotten puppy. There are times when I doo feel horrendously guilty - like yesterday, when I discovered she was left home alone from 9 to 3! Usually she's only alone from 9-10:30 and 3:30 to 5:30, so it really must've been a shock for her.

When we first got her I would beat myself up any time she had an accident in the house. My fiance was constant reassuring me. I think I actually said 'I'm such a bad dog owner,' because if Wispa was weeing in the house, it was obviously because I wasn't paying enough attention or taking her out enough (even though, looking back, I took her out hourly and there had to be SOME times when I couldn't have my eyes on her).

I worried about her during the day when I went back to work, so we arranged the dog walker. And although her normal walking times are 11-1, she picks her up early and after the walk she goes back to her house to play in her house the back garden with her dog until 3:30!

I have felt guilty since she had her spay, though, as it's no off-lead walks (shh, don't tell anyone I let her off lead at Chartwell!)
Emily and Wispa

PeggyS

Post by PeggyS » 30 Oct 2012, 10:30

My only regret is that we didn't go into doodle hood sooner. I am sure that all of you know that you have given your pooches the best home you can. You all love and care for them to the best of your knowledge and abilities. We all make mistakes but you all know that you are doing your best and that you wouldn't be without them. I think we should all celebrate the love an affection we give to our dogs and the absolute joy and well being they give us back.

H X