Chews that last!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
ruth1981

Chews that last!

Post by ruth1981 » 02 Nov 2012, 17:47

Hi, I just wondered whether anyone has found any chews that last for more than a day or two? I have been getting Ramona giant rawhide bones which she adores but they are destroyed within a day or two, and I worry about her choking on them when they get small. I did get her a massive cow bone which is lasting well but it stinks and she keeps throwing it around (including at my feet :shock: ) which is unpleasant. I do give her filled frozen kongs during the day but it's nice for her to have something that lasts a bit longer as well (keeps her from chewing the dining chairs!). Anyone have any suggestions?

Barneyboy

Re: Chews that last!

Post by Barneyboy » 02 Nov 2012, 18:03

two words - Stag Bars!

ruth1981

Post by ruth1981 » 02 Nov 2012, 18:12

Got one of them and she ignores it! Silly hound :roll:

Kirstie & Murphy

Post by Kirstie & Murphy » 02 Nov 2012, 18:24

Have you tried rubbing the stag bar with sand paper and dipping the end in water? Murphy tucked into his 1st stag bar the 2nd he didn't seem interested in-I think Bid posted the sand paper trick on a thread of Wurly's and it worked for us :D

PS-I love Ramona's new signature picture.
Kirstie & Murphy
Image Image

Bid

Post by Bid » 02 Nov 2012, 18:56

If she's not interested in a stag bar, try her with one of these .....https://www.antlerdogchews.co.uk/specia ... tler-strip . My Daisy doesn't bother about the stag bars, but these really got her going :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 03 Nov 2012, 11:35

That really is a beautiful pic of Ramona!

Have you tried Nylabones? They're a bit hit and miss for Barney but when he gets a taste for it he can go at it for a while. He has a bacon flavoured one like this http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalo ... CFIQ8wIwAQ

and he loved this one, but only ate 2 out of 4 "arms" (He doesn't like the nobbly ones!!) http://www.petsathome.com/shop/nylabone ... uper-85007

I'd try Ramona out on the smaller puppy ones first, see if she likes it before you buy a big one. You can get a pack of 3 flavours to try out. Nylabones "splinter" and develop a very rough edge, Barney enjoyed one so much and it got so rough his gums started to bleed so it went in the bin but it lasted a few weeks, but it is expensive.

Barney also loves "Beef Bones" which are much cheaper, 80p each. You can pick up at Pets At Home - they're 2 in a pack and take about 2 days to pick all the disgusting crusty bits off which he loves doing, and he still really enjoys eating the bone days later. My family's dogs have them for weeks but they do eventually weaken and break then they need to go in the bin. Our local butcher sells huge ones for the same price, but not always available.

Immi

Post by Immi » 03 Nov 2012, 14:32

Some of the bones sold for dogs aren't really suitable for heavy chewers, any weight bearing beef or pork bones, particularly if they have been roasted can cause irreversible wearing of the teeth due to their density. Rib bones are more suitable, and the ones from PaH are air dried rather than roasted, so they are safer and they shouldn't splinter in the same way roasted bones can. The large ones come in packs of two and they last Immi about a week each.
Gav & Becks.

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 03 Nov 2012, 18:08

:D Nylabones I have puppy teething starter pack of three for mine. Things that don't last just for the day but the love are Tripe sticks (Dried tripe) Healthy but smelly. :D
ImageImageImageImage

ruth1981

Post by ruth1981 » 03 Nov 2012, 18:14

Thanks all - lots of new things to try her on there! :D

roxie20

Post by roxie20 » 04 Nov 2012, 22:43

Glad to hear that other Doods aren't impressed with Stag Bars, I bought my 2 one each (very expensive too) and they have both turned their noses up at them!!!