walking two dogs together, any help?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
racholiandpoppy

walking two dogs together, any help?

Post by racholiandpoppy » 09 Nov 2012, 12:33

Hi there,

As some of you may know, we have just r-homed a lovely little Cockapoo, who is a delight - love her too much already.

The only slight issue at the moment, is trying to walk both dogs together on my own.

If the dogs are walked separately both don't pull too much, definitely not enough to be a pain (Poppy (on an easy-walk harness) pulls a bit on the way to park etc, but is good otherwise)

But, when I walk them both, they both pull twice as hard, and obviously with holding the two of them, this is then 4 times as hard for me! They are both trying to be the dog at the front and are just very excited for their walk!

I have been trying to stop every time and wait 'till they don't pull, reward and carry on - but this is near impossible, as if one dog is good and one pulling, they don't know who I am saying 'good girl' to, or asking to stop pulling!

Haha, sorry for the long post - but I know many of you have more than one doggy, and I don't want to grow huge neck muscles! luckily most of the time me and my Fiancee walk together with a dog each which is fine. We're trying for a family after the new years, so need to get this sorted for if/when I get a bump!

Cheers,
Rach

JudeinPlymouth

Re: walking two dogs together, any help?

Post by JudeinPlymouth » 09 Nov 2012, 12:39

no help whatsoever.... I'm having exactly the same problem :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

and training is sooooo much harder with the two of them as like you say, one is being good and the other naughty so all the messages get mixed up and I end up behaving like a loon!!!!

hopefully someone will have some good advice!
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Nov 2012, 14:35

Imo the only way to effectively stop a dog from pulling is to do lots and lots of training - those walks when you don't get anywhere because you keep stopping and changing direction. You can use a head collar, and although that doesn't solve the problem, it does make walking a lot easier.. It's also my opinion that you can't train 2 dogs at the same time. This is why I have only just started to walk Beamish with Daisy & Poppy ( he is 19 months old), and even now I would prefer to walk him on his own for longer but the shorter days mean it's not possible, although I still walk him on his own in the mornings.

Mine are pretty much OK now for pulling, but the lunging at other dogs is a whole new ballgame :evil: , and I have yet to figure out how to stop them from chopping and changing sides and treating me as a maypole until their leads are totally plaited :roll: :lol: :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

racholiandpoppy

Post by racholiandpoppy » 09 Nov 2012, 15:20

Haha! Yes the maypole is exactly the right analogy!

it's tricky though, because I have been walking on their own, and together. On their own they're great! So I think - yes, let's go on a lovely day trip with both. Uh oh - both start pulling again. So, I think I do need to try and train them together to stop this. hard!

Oh well, I shall continue. It's not that bad - There could be much worse problems! :)

x

Cate

Post by Cate » 09 Nov 2012, 16:20

Have you tried a, coupling, its a chain that links both dogs on 1 lead

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 09 Nov 2012, 18:57

:lol: Bailey and Coco compete when out so they pull me up the hill all the way to the common!! It is always easier to walk one or two girls!! Now I have three I will take Bids advice and walk seperately!! I'm sure having a few treats may help in your pocket!! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage

Phoebe11

Post by Phoebe11 » 09 Nov 2012, 19:35

When I take Phoebe & Darcy like Cate suggested above, I use a coupling and one lead & they walk really nicely, trotting side by side, I let them off when they get to the park & usually carry a second lead with me in case required at the park.
They are only a few pounds and worth giving a go.
Jo, Phoebe & Darcy

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Nov 2012, 19:42

I think couplers are only a good idea with 2 dogs who are a similar size and strength - if I use one with Poppy and Daisy, poor Poppy gets dragged to wherever Daisy wants to go. I would also only use a coupler with a harness for that reason. The other problem I have with a coupler is that they always seem to end up with the dogs ahead of me, and with pullers that isn't a good position :|
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 10 Nov 2012, 08:42

I walk Darcy and Willow on separate sides to my body. I don't walk them togerhter on the same side. I have had to get used to using my left hand to issue a slight pull back reaction when needing the odd bit of contol now and agin.This way you can lead the pack and get a feel for each dog. They are then not in competition with eachother and each feel they are with you. I use haltis for both of mine for years which is fab. One of mine prefers walking next to houses and the other the curb side which works out perfectly!! Our goldendoodle puppy does not have a halti and just trots alongside accordingly!! good luck

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 10 Nov 2012, 10:34

oh eck I have this problem too if I'm walking my two alone. I tend to put one in each hand but I'm hoping these training classes will help a bit. Great fun isn't it lol :lol:

Dawn, Shellsie and Biggles xx

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 10 Nov 2012, 11:25

Get yourself two soft webbing leads with strong clips. Forget anything that could cut into your hands and certainly forget any leads with chains.

I swap about, with either one each side or both on the left, depending on the terrain, street or traffic. I prefer me between them and any potential dangers.

The essential thing to do is to put your hand through the lead(s) so it (they) go over your wrist, and then close the hand back over it (them), getting a secure grip (hence the need for a fleece lined lead end or at least webbing, and strong ones to boot). That way, if they take off, you just have to close your hand tight and hang on for grim death.

It is surprising how strong you can become with a firmly clasped hand and braced feet, although I did go down in a heap on the pavement when a cat shot out literally under their noses and they both leapt BUT I automatically closed my hand and neither dog escaped into the road. The cut knees hurt but less than having a dog hit by a car.

It can get better with time and being firm. Headcollars are great for giving much better control all round. Yes, it's not training them to not pull, just preventing them from doing it, but effective. The same works with horses. Control the head, control the horse.

I think the SWAG head collar is the softest and the most effective I've found out of the ones I have tried.

My two are the same age within a week (not siblings - just a rehome the same age) so they have mostly been walked together. To be honest, we were complete failures at getting Jack trained not to pull up to 10 months old, when we got Becky, despite training him according to the books and puppy class instructions to the hilt. Solo walks are not often an option so they have had to learn that if they muck about then we stop dead and go home, or just stand there as dead boring lumps until they behave and settle down.

I also do a fair bit of taking them into the town and just sitting by the harbour or walking them through the streets so they are used to crowds and weird things like Fudge Shop model donkeys (Jack hates it) and kids racing about etc. Head collars are a must for such a walk, as well as loads of treats as rewards for calm, good behaviour.

It does get better with age but the more walking where good behaviour is expected the better. You don't need to shout, dominate or hit your dog to get them to realise you mean business, a la Cesar :evil: A firm but fair approach works wonders.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Daise1970

Post by Daise1970 » 10 Nov 2012, 12:43

Oh Dear..
Mine are not good to walk together but I have no other option. Maddie is a much stronger and determined dog than my Gracie and loves to lead.
The coupling was a disaster for walking my girls together.
I have tried all sorts of different combo's, but have now resigned myself to my big shoulder muscles as the dogs are ridiculously strong together. :roll:
They are most problamatic when encountering other dogs or the dreaded squirrels.. :evil:
Best of luck with those muscles :lol:
Daise xx

sammylou

Post by sammylou » 10 Nov 2012, 21:46

I walked mine separately And took them to separate training classes until they were both good at walking to heel o. Either side (heel for left, close for right). When I started walking them together I put the bigger and stronger dog (Herbert) on a gentle leader and kept ted on collar and lead. This has worked well and although frustrating at times, for the first 6 months there were walks when we didn't get far, now they both walk beautifully when on opersite sides, still work in progress with them on one side, although I still don't need the head collar, we are getting there. I also alternate who gets let off first, often asking them to walk to heel for several steps before releasing them, so they don't dart off.
Take your time, be kind to your self and be persistent and consistant :-)
Sam, Herbert Doodle and Ted pest
ImageImage