Worried about Wurly

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
The Turners

Worried about Wurly

Post by The Turners » 15 Nov 2012, 17:46

Came home with the shopping, took it out of bags onto counter. Phone rang, spoke for about 10 minutes. Went back to unpack. Finished , sat down. Wurly was nowhere to be seen. I just thought she was in the study with her dad, He thought she was with me.

In fact she was in the bathroom scoffing down a Terry's chocolate orange :( . By the time I noticed she'd eaten it all :( . Rang the vets as we worried about the amount she'd eaten. They said to keep an eye on her, if she vomits or has diarrhea or gets overheated (heart palpations) bring her in, but apart from that there was nothing to be done :? . They could induce vomiting & give her charcoal if she gets poorly. It's been 5 hours & they said if she going to be adversely affected it would be between 4/6 hours. She seems perfectly fine :) , if a little smug. Should I give her tea tonight or just let her tummy settle.
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

dexter14

Re: Worried about Wurly

Post by dexter14 » 15 Nov 2012, 17:53

Hope shes ok ,should be my dog years ago always had a small pkt of maltezers for xmas ,that was before i new about it being no good for dogs.
]Image

julieju

Post by julieju » 15 Nov 2012, 17:57

Aero ate about a quarter of Edward's birthday 'Hotel Chocolat' bar once... about the equivalent of two normal sized Dairy Milk bars. He had no adverse affects at all (I did though, sent me mad with worry!)

There is a lot of contradictory stuff on the internet about how dangerous chocolate is for dogs, but I gather dark chocolate is worse than milk. I found one site that said humans are more likely to expire from over indulgence in chocolate than dogs :?

You've done everything right so far... let us know how she is later.

xx
Julie and Aero xx

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Nov 2012, 18:06

Wurly!!!! You really do keep your Mum & Dad on their toes! It sounds as though she will be OK - fingers crossed!

Here is the chocolate toxicity calculator for future ref .... http://www.askavetquestion.com/chocolate_toxicity.php
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 15 Nov 2012, 18:09

I've known a few family dogs who have scoffed a lot of chocolates (a huge Dairy Milk bar and another dog ate all the Christmas Quality Street) and they were both fine, bar diarrhea.

I bet Wurls loved it! A Ball! Of CHOCOLATE! :roll: Bless, I'm sure she'll be fine xx

Immi

Post by Immi » 15 Nov 2012, 19:56

Oh Wurly!!! Naughty doggy :shock: For a dog of her size it's unlikely that she would have any long term problems from eating that amount of chocolate, barring a case of the squits (hey at least she's not long haired! ;) )
Gav & Becks.

Cate

Post by Cate » 15 Nov 2012, 21:00

Oh she is naughty, she should be ok though. Didn't think anyone else could eat 1 in 1 go. Maybe give her a bit of dry toast to absorb x

purplepatch

Post by purplepatch » 15 Nov 2012, 21:13

Hi Nicki,
Did she 'tap it, unwrap it' :lol: :lol:
On a serious note I'm sure she will be fine. I would be tempted not to feed her for tonight and see how her 'system' is in the morning.
She is cheeky girl and again it prooves when they are quiet they are up to no good.
Sarah and Carter

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 15 Nov 2012, 21:16

Several years ago before we had Dorcas. Our two dogs eat 2 selection boxes and one also ate a family size block of Cadburys Dairy Milk......they both went on to live several more years with no side effects.
I never left Chocolate where they could get it again.
Dorcas has learn the smell of choclate and if we are eating it she just walks away, that said, I would never leave her with some that she could get to.
Me and Mummy

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 15 Nov 2012, 21:36

oh nicky ! its not funny when they eat a whole chocolate orange is it !
remember Luna did it last christmas day ?
i phoned the vet and they said she would probably have diarrhoea but that the cocoa content in a choccy orange isnt high so not to worry too much.

hope the gorgeous but greedy wurly girl is ok :)
you cant blame Luna for telling her how to tap and unwrap cos they havnt met yet :wink:
Dawn & Luna x

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 15 Nov 2012, 22:29

Years ago [approx 20 years] we used to feed our old dog all the toffees and soft centres that we didn't want - if we'd known it was dangerous we of course wouldn't have but the kids used to love watching him chew a toffee.
Needless to say no harm came to him and as said its the dark chocolate that is more dangerous. 70% cocoa content I believe.
Its amazing really what they eat when out and yet something as simple as chocolate can be so harmful.
I'm sure the vet would have told you if it was dangerous and the worst I would say is over if no side effects atm.
I know what a worry our dogs are so understand. Hope you have a good night
ImageImage

Masil

Post by Masil » 15 Nov 2012, 22:57

I can completely understand the worry, but I'm sure Wurly will be fine. As others have said, the cocoa content is quite low in milk chocolate and Wurly isn't a small dog.
I can just imagine her thinking 'it's not Terry's, it's mine' :wink:

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 15 Nov 2012, 23:31

Oh Wurly :roll: :wink: Tee hee - leave the chocolate alone!! You'll be off to the vet for yuk stuff :shock: if you don't watch it!

Hoping missy Wurly shall be just fine!
Mx

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 16 Nov 2012, 08:53

Ha ha naughty Wurly :lol: I hope your tum is ok this morning? :wink:

Lexi-dood

Post by Lexi-dood » 16 Nov 2012, 08:53

Ha ha naughty Wurly :lol: I hope your tum is ok this morning? :wink: