HORRIFIED

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Dexter_Mir

HORRIFIED

Post by Dexter_Mir » 07 Dec 2012, 16:44

Just a general moan really, has anyone seen these facebook sites that are popping up for pets for sale and rehoming like this one;

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/gro ... 791871087/

I just dont feel it is a safe way to rehome any animal let alone a puppy or dog, I do get that people are struggling financialy and sadly as a result many resort to having to re home there pets, I also understand that rescue centres are packed full of these pets... but selling pets on these sites dont offer home checks, advice etc and it really worries me....

Has anyone else come across them ?

Immi

Re: HORRIFIED

Post by Immi » 07 Dec 2012, 17:10

To a lot of people pets ate just a commodity or inconvenience, and many breeders never mind general owners offer no kind of home checks. These sites are no different to a classified ad in a local paper really. It seems that it's the staffies that are getting the raw deal, people just want rid of the responsibility they didn't think of when they obtained the dog, often only bought as an accessory... :( But there are some people trying to rehome a pet responsibly on these sites too, who are only willing to let the pet go to a decent home, or one without kids etc. It's better than abandonment afterall, which has always been the most simple way for the cruel and heartless to get rid if an unwanted pet.
Gav & Becks.

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 07 Dec 2012, 17:34

Fair point Immi, they are just like any other general advert to sell a pet, I dont doubt there are some responsible owners too, its just such a sorry state of affairs that no one seems to be stepping in to regualte breeding and prevent this awful situaiton from escalating year on year the way it is....

As for staffies getting the bad deal, I couldnt agree more, they have to be the top of list for dogs needing to be rehomed.... its heart breaking isnt it :(

Immi

Post by Immi » 07 Dec 2012, 17:45

Yes, it is heartbreaking to read through web pages like that, seeing more pets than ever before in need of a home. Some kind of regulation in dog breeding and sales is needed, but it would be such an incredibly difficult thing to police, and sadly not enough people care to get it onto the mainstream political agenda :(
Gav & Becks.

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 07 Dec 2012, 17:48

One charity that offers free veterinary care said they were going to implement a rule for Staffies where they only had something like 3 free appointments and then if they're not neutered no more free veterinary care. Something has to change - it is dreadful the amount of staffies who need loving family homes.

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 08 Dec 2012, 00:25

It's shocking round here. Staffies are bred like rabbits and most end up in the pound and destroyed 2 weeks later. In my opinion, Laws need to be introduced to regulate breeding as it's way out of control and so unfair on the animals. x

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 08 Dec 2012, 00:42

Because I went on an insane 3 hour walk with Lola today through mud, I had to shower her and then spend a couple of hours combing and grooming her (this is the longest excuse in the world) so I was watching children's television.

I was heartened to see a programme about keeping pets - the children were all given a pet for a week and had to look after it properly, and were given exercises like being kept in a big cage for a few hours to see how boring it is, so they had empathy with the pet that they might be ignoring...

MORe of this sort of thing please! Brilliant stuff, children are who we need to educate as they are the pet -owners of tomorrow.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

shellsie

Post by shellsie » 08 Dec 2012, 00:48

Very true Liz x

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 08 Dec 2012, 11:02

I caught a glimpse of that programme yesterday Liz (on BBC1 about 4ish I think) and thought it excellent.

There were loads of different types of pets, from stick insects to cats, dogs, rabbits, hammies, goats etc, and I thought it very revealing that the kids not only often got bored of different pets but didn't get their own way in chosing what they looked after.

The programmers really seemed to be dinning home that you need the right pet for your family circumstances and that they are a lot of hard work and must not be ignored by the kids but played with.

Great to see the little darlings (kids, not pets) not getting their own way for a change :lol:
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

LakeDistrictDoodle

Post by LakeDistrictDoodle » 08 Dec 2012, 21:38

Hi I do not want my head bitten off...but...I can not really see what the fuss is about.
If you have puppies, kittens etc and want to sell or rehome them, you have to advertise them somewhere and FB just is another way of reaching a new home.
If you got a puppy from a person selling on FB and something was wrong with it, you could slag that person up hill and down again through FB and nobody would ever buy from that person again.
If pets, whether unwanted or not are better off in new homes no matter how that home is found, why stop them. If you stop all websites, FB, Pre-loved, pets4sale etc then hundreds of unwanted pets have to go somewhere...shelters...dumped on the street, in a bag in the river!!!! Get my point????
Just because we buy our doodles from breeders (and we got Dorcas from one) does not make them "nice & safe" people, we really do not know if after we walk out the door with our new little babies what that breeders does to the others. They could batter them, leave them unfed, dirty or left out in the cold.
Please do not have a go at me for having this opinion, it is just that. We do not live in a perfect world and some people are horrid to pets, most are not, and if they want or NEED to rehome a pet, it is not up to us to say where these people advertise them. If you manage to get FB, preloved etc stopped, all these unwanted pets will go somewhere like the river, so please be careful what you wish for, if you dont like this type of advertising on FB etc....don't look at them.
Me and Mummy

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 08 Dec 2012, 22:24

Hi LakeDistrictDoodle

I hope no one would have a go at your for having an opinion just as I was sharing mine you should always feel free to share yours... that’s what makes our world go round... :D :D

Like Immi pointed out FB is just another forum to sell animals, it just find it so sad wherever they are for sale and what prompted me to write was there was a 12 year cross breed on FB looking for a new home. I have no idea of the circumstance around why she is looking for a home, after 12 years of commitment to her, so can’t comment on that, but it was just heart breaking that a girl of this age was looking for a home for her last few years...

My post started of as a quick moan as animals that need re-homing sadly increases year on year and nothing gives.... not a rant about wanting to stop the sites, though still wish breeding was somehow regulated, though that will never happen....

Ho hum.... :P

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 08 Dec 2012, 22:26

It is true actually that many breeders do advertise litters on Facebook - Rais doodles for example.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)