Advocate reaction?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Pshopper

Advocate reaction?

Post by Pshopper » 25 Jun 2013, 08:11

My 10 wk old pup had his 2nd injections yesterday and also his 1st flea treatment (Advocate). We applied it around 7.30pm and he became very agitated about 40mins afterwards and wouldn't settle, pacing the room, but no rubbing or scratching of his neck. Put him in his crate which he has had no problems going in to at 10.30pm and he barked till 1.30am. We let him out thinking he may want a wee but he didn't and he just paced. He started to bark again at 5.30am whereupon he had been sick on his vetbed but no soiling. I have had a google and there are posts of similar reactions to other flea treatments. Had anyone had or heard of similar reactions to this product-Advocate? Needless to say he is pretty bleary eyed this morning and so are we :|
I will notify the vet.

nicky16

Re: Advocate reaction?

Post by nicky16 » 25 Jun 2013, 08:37

Lexie has been fine with advocate but we gave to her when she was 12 wks so may be her been a bit older helped
But did find she was sick on panacur , and she was sick when ever she had something with her injection .
We also have a flea collar for her called seresto which is very good as can go with the advocate and last 8 months and means all angles are cover ie worms , fleas lungworm .

But would check with the vet and see what his or her thoughts are

Will say Lexie was just off for one day so sure your puppy will be back to its checky self again

Nicky Mummy to Lexie

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 25 Jun 2013, 08:41

I would be inclined to say it was just a reaction to the jabs?
Advocate used to give Bruno inflamed ears when he was a pup, but I've used it all his life with no reaction since he was around 9 months old.
He still gets agitated the day after his jabs though
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

Pshopper

Post by Pshopper » 25 Jun 2013, 11:06

Thank you Ladies :) always good down to earth advice on this forum.
It may well be the extra Nobivac KC that he had on top of the Nob. DHPP1 and Nob. LEPTO 2
A lot of chemicals swimming around a little body all in one go. He seems okay now, if a little tired. I spoke to the vets who naturally gave out the usual advice of keep an eye on him. Okaaay :o
I must post a photo of our lovely boy soon but like all new doodle owners, he has kept us on our toes and I hadn't quite realised how 1st time mumsy I would feel. Knackered. Just -almost- managed to jettison our young adult children and now.... must have bumped my head :lol:

Florrie!

Post by Florrie! » 25 Jun 2013, 12:45

Florrie had a very similar reaction to advocate. She was on stronghold but reacted to that so the vet recommended advocate. She had been fine on it but the last 2 times I put it on her, she has reacted.
Within an hour of putting it on her, she was restless, pacing, darting around the room, would lie down and leap straight back up, didnt want anyone near her and was really agitated. I asked the vet as Florrie has lots of other issues and thry said they'd never heard of a reaction like it but it is possible it was the advocate. The vet said to use it on her again when she was due it and see if she reacted again which she did but not as badly. I checked her skin which was fine as I wonfered whether it was burning or stinging but she was fine with me touching the area. So im not really sure.

Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

Chelsea2

Post by Chelsea2 » 25 Jun 2013, 13:24

Pshopper wrote:Thank you Ladies :) always good down to earth advice on this forum.
It may well be the extra Nobivac KC that he had on top of the Nob. DHPP1 and Nob. LEPTO 2
A lot of chemicals swimming around a little body all in one go. He seems okay now, if a little tired. I spoke to the vets who naturally gave out the usual advice of keep an eye on him. Okaaay :o
I must post a photo of our lovely boy soon but like all new doodle owners, he has kept us on our toes and I hadn't quite realised how 1st time mumsy I would feel. Knackered. Just -almost- managed to jettison our young adult children and now.... must have bumped my head :lol:
:shock: Crikey you are right that is a sack full of nasty chemicals for a 10 week old pup - no wonder he was a bit off colour.
The reaction could have been to 1 of them or the combination of all of them. You will only know for sure the next time if it was to the advocate.

Pshopper

Post by Pshopper » 25 Jun 2013, 14:58

Tasha.. yep that describes exactly how Jak was last night. I think that I may have come to the conclusion that if he develops fleas, I will treat it, ditto worms, but I will have a chat to the vets on the next visit. Thank you for the advice and I hope that Florrie is doing well :D

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 25 Jun 2013, 17:24

Murphy had this exact reaction the first time I used Advocate, I thought it was nothing to do with the advocate and just a coincidence, so used it again the following year and he had a fit.

I will never, ever use advocate again, we now use Frontline, which works well for us with no reaction at all.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Pshopper

Post by Pshopper » 25 Jun 2013, 17:39

Thanks for your post iwantadog and I am sorry to hear that Murphy and you had to go through that once let alone twice. Has he ever fitted again?

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 25 Jun 2013, 18:23

i think it is Bid who send her dogs' poo away and has it looked at - apparently it isn't too expensive and you just treat if they need it.

I hate the idea of treating 'just in case' (wonder how long before the fleas etc become immune and we have to put even stronger things on our precious dogs?).

Feas, if caught early, and goodness knows it's easy enough to tell if they have them, are easy to treat. So I opted to only treat if necessary - and Lola has never had fleas in the 3 years we have had her.

I haven't done the Bid thing though (if it is Bid!), but I did enquire if it is ok for me to have Lola checked like this and only treated for worms if necessary, and her charity said they would be happy with this, which must mean it is a safe option.

If she showed a reaction to any of these things I think I would do it.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 25 Jun 2013, 18:52

Pshopper wrote:Thanks for your post iwantadog and I am sorry to hear that Murphy and you had to go through that once let alone twice. Has he ever fitted again?

Yes, he has since been diagnosed with Epilepsy, but he'd not had a fit before the one after the Advocate. It might be a total coincidence, but too big a one in my opinion. I'm not saying the Advocate caused the Epilepsy, but I do think it agrivated it...

Lianne

Post by Lianne » 25 Jun 2013, 21:58

Barney reacts when he is wormed or flea treated. We now actually have to plan to do it when we know we can treat him first thing in the morning and when it won't matter if we have a bad night. That makes it sound ver extreme which it isn't but he is just so unsettled after being treated. He'll bark and whine all night and just seems edgey. We haven't tried different options yet but we'll chat with the vet next time he's due.

Lianne and Barney
Xx

Pshopper

Post by Pshopper » 26 Jun 2013, 07:21

Lianne.. That is good advice and Jak's breeder advised me to have him vaccinated early morning just in case there was a reaction. Foolishly, I wormed and flea'd him early evening. Lesson learned :idea:

Pshopper

Post by Pshopper » 26 Jun 2013, 07:27

It must have been upsetting to have a diagnoses like that for Murphy, but that is when medicine plays a very useful role in helping to control long term illnesses such as fitting. I hope that you have managed to stabilize him and I'm sure that he is full of beans like all doodles seem to be :D He does have a very exotic look about him, very dapper...and those eyes...wOw!

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 26 Jun 2013, 07:56

Yes, he's on bromide tablets every day for the rest of his life (thank goodness I went for a lifetime insurance policy) and is now a very normal, naughty, gorgeous doodle!). :D