What can an F1B Labradoodle look like

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Flowers

What can an F1B Labradoodle look like

Post by Flowers » 13 Jul 2013, 10:18

Hi everyone

Well we are still searching for our scruffy haired miniature Labradoodle and have found a nice breeder who breeds Cockapoos and labradoodles. She breeds F1B labradoodles and I know that this means that mum is a Labradoodle and dad is a mini poodle but I don't know what an F1b looks like or what sort of coats they would have and whether they will moult and shed or not. I also wondered if they are as healthy as an F1 for example.

I am getting thoroughly confused by it all and would be so grateful for any advice and also photos of any F1bs would be amazingly helpful.

Thank you

blueboysgirl

Re: What can an F1B Labradoodle look like

Post by blueboysgirl » 13 Jul 2013, 10:29

An F1 is 50% Labrador and 50% Poodle. As with children, they can turn out more like their mum or like their dad. F1s tend to be a bit more predictable, in that their coats are normally scruffy, but still shed.

F1b will be 25% Labrador and 75% Poodle. I find that most have curlier coats, do not shed as much, but may need coat maintenance

The Labrador is normally a standard size, but the Poodle comes in three sizes - Toy, Miniature and Standard, therefore I think if you are looking for a particular size dog, then make sure the Poodle side is the right size. But, like children, just because they have a short dad, it does not necessarily mean they will in turn be short.

Health wise, I think they are all pretty standard, so long as parentage lines seem healthy then normally the offspring will be.

I personally prefer the F1s as they tend to be scruffy, but I have seen many F1s who are completely smooth coated, like the Labrador.

If you are looking for garantees, the only way is an older dog, who already has their coat and has finished growing.

When I get a second dog, I will get an adult, as I want a smaller dog, and don't have the room for another big dood!!
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

jane and merlin

Post by jane and merlin » 13 Jul 2013, 11:50

Both ours are F1BS and have different coats merlin the black one has tight curls like a poodle and needs to be cut every 6 weeks , jackson who is merlins brother from a different litter but same parents is more rough coat and only needs a cut every 3-4 months as his coat does not grow so much .
Image Image

Alfitil

Post by Alfitil » 13 Jul 2013, 16:14

Hi
Our beautiful girl Tilly is a curly scruffy F1 (she is about the size of a small labrador) and boy does she moult, she was mated with a minature poodle both of them were chocolate as were 4 generations back on each side, she had 8 superb beautiful puppies including one which was cream and one apricot, the apricot one we kept and is our very handsome boy Alfie. When first born all but one had smooth coats the firstborn was clearly going to be very poodly coated as it was very crinkly, at six weeks four puppies coats were all turning very similar to mums Alfie's coat is dreadlocked the cream boy was like a sheep and we had a very smooth short coated girl but had curly ears, so all in all a very different mix and as I have kept in touch with all if my "babies" it has been wonderful to see how they have all grown up and seen such a difference in coats, all of the puppies coats have not moulted incidentally Alfie is now two and a half and although he was dreadlocked but a bit wiry on his back he has just had to be clipped as his coat is more fleecy goodness know what it will be like next year,but that's half the fun and enjoyment of watching doodles grow up. There was also a big difference in sizes as well one girl is now smaller than Tilly and one boy is huge the others are all about the same size as Tilly. Have fun looking but remember nothing is guaranteed

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 13 Jul 2013, 16:47

Both our puppies are F1bs and their coats are very different. Fozzie is quite curly (and appears to be getting curlier), Florence is more shaggy. My son who is allergic to cats (and we have 5 of those) appears to react to Florence but not Fozzie. We have just clipped both dogs and Florence seems curlier afterwards - it's as if her fur wanted to curls but the length wouldn't allow it and pulled it straight. Be interesting to see how they come out as adults :D

susieQ

Post by susieQ » 13 Jul 2013, 18:47

There's no guarantee what they'll look like :D , that's half the fun of a doodle! You're never quite sure what you are going to get :lol: Rosie is an F1b and she has long fur, looks crimped, especially when she's been bathed or in the sea, but her half brother (same dad) is very like a poodle with thick fur that has to be cut. I don't cut Rosie except for a trim around her eyes and beard, her hair is about 4 inches long. Not a very thick coat though. She doesn't moult so if you don't want a house full of dog hair, go for an F1b (no offense meant to the F1's they are all gorgeous :D ).

She's on the right:
Sue and Rosie

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 13 Jul 2013, 21:21

dexter is a f 1b and he does moult a bit but its just like fluff,and hes coat hes very easy to manage i have him cut 2 to 3 times a year and he never matts at all.Brush him 2 or 3 times a week manly ears and beard.
ImageImage

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 14 Jul 2013, 08:36

Murphy's an F1b, his mum was a standard labradoodle and his dad was a miniature poodle. I chose F1b as I wanted a curly long haired, non-moulting doodle, as you can see he is neither!! :lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 14 Jul 2013, 08:58

Bella is an f2 - she looks like she's got dreadlocks , doesn't moult, and at the moment doesn't mat. She's finding the heat too much though, so it's all coming off this week! If she then looks like she does when she's wet, she'll be a curly, skinny poodle! :lol: :lol:
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 14 Jul 2013, 09:18

iwantaadog that is so funny

I thought lulu would be a curly dog (not having done too much research because I was a wally and various others things) as poodle = curly and I had seen really curly labradoodles

Didnt realise she would be a shaggy one! Still she doesnt shed but when she gets wet she has lovely curly but they dry straight - will try and get a pic of her curls - fascinating actually
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Sharan

Post by Sharan » 15 Jul 2013, 23:14

Rudy is an F1b - he has a very curly coat that needs brushing at least twice a week and a trip to the groomers every 10-12 weeks.
He doesn't moult at all
ImageImage

Sharan

Post by Sharan » 15 Jul 2013, 23:14

Rudy is an F1b - he has a very curly coat that needs brushing at least twice a week and a trip to the groomers every 10-12 weeks.
He doesn't moult at all
ImageImage

Maggie111

Post by Maggie111 » 22 Jul 2013, 14:37

Barney in my sig pic is an F1B "miniature" labradoodle :)

molsp

Post by molsp » 22 Jul 2013, 22:56

I love Murphy, he is a dog of 2 halves. Sweet face.