Which food? Standard or large puppy? Orijen or not? Help!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
nickdave

Which food? Standard or large puppy? Orijen or not? Help!

Post by nickdave » 19 Jul 2013, 22:33

Hi,

We're looking for some advise on what food is best for our 9-week old Holly - it's all very confusing and so many questions! Any advice would be a massive help! :)

Holly was eating Purina Beta puppy (not large puppy) when we got her a few weeks ago, so we've stuck with that as its what she is used to. But I've been reading up on it today and it looks to be quite poor, mostly cereal (its the first listed ingredient!) and no decent meat content etc.

We're looking to switch her over slowly to another type of dry kibble, which we'll sometimes mix with fresh food when we can and have time etc. We don't mind spending more if that is what is needed to get a decent quality food which I guess is most important in her first 12-18 months when she is growing.

So, should I be looking at standard puppy or large puppy food? She is 9 weeks and 4.5kg at the moment, Mum was a standard Lab and Dad a miniature Poodle.

Is Orijen the best food to go for? It looks to have the highest meat content, but then I've read that it can make her hyperactive having so much protein, and also be too rich? How much protein should I be looking for? I've also read good things about Barking Heads Puppy Days, Green Dog, James Wellbeloved and Applaws - does anybody recommend these? It's very hard to decide which one to go for, and we want to be sure she's getting the best start in life!

Thanks!
Nick, Dave & Holly

Liz!!

Re: Which food? Standard or large puppy? Orijen or not? Help

Post by Liz!! » 19 Jul 2013, 23:31

Orijen was too rich for lola at first and we went for Applaws. But as its make-up was so different we changed, very, very slowly, a few pieces at a time.

I'd recommend changing extremely slowly whichever food you go for.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 19 Jul 2013, 23:47

Orijen is a very good one, but there are some alternatives. Simpsons Premium is one http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_ ... omposition, and Canagan is another http://www.canagan.co.uk/. Also Taste of the Wild http://www.zooplus.co.uk/esearch.htm?gc ... the%20wild
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

techiebabe

Post by techiebabe » 19 Jul 2013, 23:57

To be honest I think it depends on the dog.

Commodore had diarrhoea quite badly(campylobacter infection)and we tried all sortsof dry food while trying to work it out.

I had aspirations of no cereals, certain meat content etc which went a bit out of the window...

Anyway he loves Royal Canin and is thriving on it and has lovely poo now.

We get maxi junior which is for large breed puppies. It also claims good digestive health.

Since starting it ive heard of friends whose dogs also do well on Royal Canin. Plus our local store can order it in, unlike orijen.

By the way Orijen never replied to my enquiries about where to buy a sample or what would be the best product for my dog. They have a reputation of good quality but I wasnt impressed. I wasnt asking for any freebies, just advice on their products!

So, I recommend royal canin maxi junior :-)

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 19 Jul 2013, 23:59

I started Tess on Canagan which is excellent quality but it was too rich for her. I changed her to Symply Large breed turkey and rice which had an instant effect of lovely doodle doos. She was quite happy on this but it has corn gluten in, low down the list but I wasn't happy about it so I changed to Applaws. She gobbles it up as if it was a roast dinner so you don't feel like you are mean giving boring old kibble. She was a kilo or so over weight at 6.5 months as I didn't cut her food down in time. On Applaws, she has lost the weight and seems really lean and has a lovely toned shape. She is growing steadily too. She was a very chunky pup and at 8 weeks was 5.4kg and is a standard. Now 9 months, 24" and 26.5kg.
I don't have a weight for 9 weeks but she was probably 6.2kg or there abouts. Origen and Applaws are well thought of but I do think the high meat content in Canagan was too rich at the time. If you can find one without any cereals that's best for her. I wish I'd tried Applaws straight away. Never tried Origen but Applaws is fab. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 20 Jul 2013, 00:21

Forgot to say, Applaws do a puppy variety. you have to use the dried food though, not the tins, as the tins are not a whole food.

We get Orijen now through two different pet shops. Lola needs such a small amount it lasts ages. But she is a very small dog!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 20 Jul 2013, 07:34

Yes Liz is right- there's puppy and large puppy. Tess had large. I would go large as doodles are prone to hip problems inherited from both breeds so the extra joint care that's in it can't hurt. Xxx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

janjaybee

Post by janjaybee » 20 Jul 2013, 12:01

Hi - we had the same problem choosing a food for Bella and after reading all the advice from everyone we tried several different kibbles (which she just wouldn't touch) and wet foods. Cross fingers, have settled on Naturediet wet food (puppy/junior) mixed with a little Burns Hypo-Allergenic mixer and it works Bella actually eats!! I can't thank jean G enough for this suggestion. Bella is a mini labradoodle, 10 months old, 15kg and 17" high (to shoulder). Good luck.

Janice and Bella

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 20 Jul 2013, 12:05

I have used Green Dog for around 2 years now. I stopped using the puppy one at around 12 months and moved him onto the adult.

I was attracted to it as they are an ethical family run company who do not test any of the ingredients on caged animals (they test on pet dogs), use whole human grade meat, the meat is not "meal", herbs are used instead of man made chemicals for vitamins and flavour.

When you read the ingredients (listed greatest first) it is what the description says on the bag. eg.. "Lamb and Rice" food, the ingredients actually read "Lamb, Rice....."

Bruno has really got on with it well, has had no skin or fur issues and is very healthy on it. His poos are always a good size and firm.

I get it from my local pet store, at £43 for a 12kg bag. I feed Bruno (he weighs 37kg) 400g of the food per day, which equates to around £1.43 per day.

They are happy to send you money off vouchers, and free samples if you ring them.
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 20 Jul 2013, 18:50

I feed Roma with Acana, which is made by the same people as Orijen. She's done really well on it. I had planned to buy Taste of The Wild but Acana was on a great offer so I bought 6 months worth!! I would say give Acana a go first as it is not so high protein as Orijen, so you can see how you like it and maybe move on to Orijen? Some of the Acana varieties do have oats in as a single grain, so check the label if you are looking to go grain-free.

When the Acana runs out I'm thinking of trying Autarky, as I've heard this recommended as a good, low cost kibble.

We've also tried Barking Heads and she got on well on it, but she really thrives on the Acana - but still has quite big poos :shock:
Rachel & Roma

nickdave

Post by nickdave » 26 Jul 2013, 18:33

Thanks for all the advice! In the end we got James Wellbeloved Turkey & Rice which is handily stocked in a pet shop 2 mins walk away. We've been transitioning Holly from Beta over a week and today was her first full day on it. She's been wolfing down her meals today which is a good sign! We sometimes give her a bit of a Wellbeloved pouch as a topper too, but only if she's been good :)

We're finding it quite hard to estimate how much to give her, as the guidelines are based on adult weight which is anybodies guess! Holly is a mini doodle, Mum was a smallish Lab and Dad a mini poodle - anybody have a rough guess how big she might be? We're currently giving her about 75g three times a day. She's almost 11 weeks old and nearly 5kg.

Her coat already seems much shinier since changing, not sure if that's my eyes or the food!

nicky16

Post by nicky16 » 26 Jul 2013, 19:01

Lexie is just starting on James wellbeloved as the the trainer said it was good for Lexie as she has very delicate tummy and find its suiting her very well and she also has there mini jack treats and no tummy probs with them

Nicky Mummy to Lexie