Lost it in P&H.. Not proud xxx

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
briansangel

Lost it in P&H.. Not proud xxx

Post by briansangel » 06 Aug 2013, 00:12

Afraid i acted totally out of character today defending Poppy in P&H..... We walked into shop a little boy put out his hand to her which she sniffed and caried on walking .. Then the Mother says "Did it lick you??? Thats why i hate Dogs these people think everyone wants to be slobberd over by their precious dogs"... Talk about light the blue touch paper i walked stright up to her and said "pardon? Im assuming its my dog your referring to she acknowledged your Child putting his hand out to touch her she neither slobbed over or licked him so i would be very careful about insulting my dog and me as her owner maybe you should teach your child to not touch strange dogs"................ She didnt respond thank god as i dont know what id of done lol apart from burst into tears as i was so incensed.. Still am Grrrrrr!!!! xxx
ImageImage

shellsie

Re: Lost it in P&H.. Not proud xxx

Post by shellsie » 06 Aug 2013, 00:20

some people just ask for it don't they. Hope u are feeling calmer now, take no notice of the silly woman. x

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 06 Aug 2013, 00:38

Picked on the wrong one! Oops! :shock: :? :D never mind- it's time more people said their piece to people like that. Two silly ladies made a big flapping fuss today at Tess on the beach when all she did was give them a sniff- didn't jump up or make any contact. I would be the first to apologise profusely if she did something naughty. I felt like shouting- " She's just a puppy- you were young once!" :lol:
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Tania&Bella

Post by Tania&Bella » 06 Aug 2013, 07:14

I'm sat watching the BBC 1 on dangerous dog ... Parents need to educate their children. What if your dog was an assistance dog or nervous ad the child spooked it .... The dog would be to blame !!!

Tania xx
Tania Neil Harry Bella and now Sully
ImageImage

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 06 Aug 2013, 07:45

I lost it at the park - - true it was my fault - lulu went running up to a couple with a child (I think their grandchild)and I called her back - she didnt actually jump - she sat (looking as if she would jump) with a waggy bum at the child. I got her and obviously apologised and he said "good now get it out of here " very aggressively and yes threateningly

I said pardon? And then let loose "how dare you talk to me like" "what sort of person are you" "you can see she is not aggressive and was under control" "you didnt have to talk like that" "it wasnt necessary" "you are
teaching the child how not to talk to people""I apologised".

I would point out that I was very calm and wasnt shouting - just talking firmly.

There is no need for people to talk to you like that. The woman pushed him away and eventually HE apologised!!!!!!
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

tynkerbelluk

Post by tynkerbelluk » 06 Aug 2013, 08:31

What is it with some people :roll: I can imagine I would have done exactly the same :!:
Sharron and Archie

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 06 Aug 2013, 08:41

Phew!! im glad im not alone lol.. Like Dee says id be first to apologise if Poppy had done something wrong but she hadnt bless her.... Hopefully it will teach her to keep quiet next time she wants a rant obviously school hols getting to her lol.... Im hoping all dogs dont start to be demonised by this clamp down on dangerous dogs xxx
ImageImage

donkeydoodlelulu

Post by donkeydoodlelulu » 06 Aug 2013, 09:18

I am shocked by the amount of people who just pat or stroke Lulu on the head without asking while we are walking quietly along minding our own business. Children should be taught to ask if its OK to pat the dog.
Alison, Lulu and Woody x

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 06 Aug 2013, 09:41

Children quite often come up and touch lola suddenly without any warning, on her back (she looks round quickly) and on her head (she does not really like being touched on her head).

But assistance dogs are chosen for their temperament - even a sudden hand would never be bitten - but certainly might be slobbered over as I have never discouraged Lola from licking as that is part of her job - licking helps them smell. She licks my hand to check my blood sugar.

She has been taught to sit when a child approaches and to my extreme surprise did this from very early on even though she still jumps at adults she knows.

I'm with you, children should be taught not to put a hand out to a dog - and this really needs to be a big campaign - but on the other hand, it would be easy to make children wary or scared of all dogs. It would have to be done sensitively.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 06 Aug 2013, 10:28

Some people are just horrible!

What I found interesting after being with doggie people all weekend who did pat heads on every walk past is that my dogs have changed in that very short space in time. I had to work really hard with them this morning on our walk to get back to ignoring people that we passed - they expected a pat on the head and went looking for it if it didn't materialise!! 2 days and all that training gone :(

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 06 Aug 2013, 11:25

people just seem to have less and less manners today. She obviously wanted you to hear her, or she wouldn't have said it out loud. She just didn' think there would be any repercussions to her outburst. Good on you for putting her right!

My daughter, Jess, loves dogs but ALWAYS asks "is your dog safe to stroke?" A lot of people seem surprised by her question, as they aren't used to children asking. On reflection, I have never had a child ask before they stroke Roma, but as soon as they put their hand out or come towards her I warn them that she is friendly but she jumps up.
Rachel & Roma

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 06 Aug 2013, 11:43

Yes- "She's a bit scrabbly and she might nip," soon put them off when she was a squiggly pup! :lol: :lol:
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

briansangel

Post by briansangel » 06 Aug 2013, 13:04

I always ask owners whos dogs are on leads if its ok for Poppy to say hello.. I never assume.. Kids should be taught same thing i remember that teacher who took her much loved family dog into class the dog snapped at a boy who had pulled her ears and was put down heartbreaking but could so easily happen to any of us.... Thankyou all for your kind words i feel much better now xxx
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 06 Aug 2013, 18:19

briansangel ,
Good for you - be proud! Isn't it strange that we will protect our dogs as we would protect our children - standing up for them when we might not do it for ourselves...
I have often had to remind children that they should always ask before petting any dog, and I reinforce the sentiment when parents tell their kids they should have asked. I just say that yes, Ianto is very friendly but not every dog is, so they should check first. (My old rescue was not a 'fuss-friendly' dog, sadly.)
Perhaps the hot weather has brought out the rudeness in people.... :(
Anne & Ianto x

blueboysgirl

Post by blueboysgirl » 07 Aug 2013, 21:52

My son is six, therefore has been around Bruno since he was three. He has always wanted to stroke other dogs but even now he will still go up to the owner with his arms folded and say politely "please may I stroke your dog?"
He has always understood that not all dogs are like Bruno and some may be frightened of strangers. If he gets a "yes" then he loves it but even if he gets a "no" he will stop to chat and ask things like "what is your dogs name" "how old is he" "what breed is he" etc. Sometimes the dog then goes in for a cheeky sniff, but the point is, that he understands and respects dogs. He is certainly not scared of any dog.
Claire and Bruno
ImageImage