4 am help!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Samdunn

4 am help!

Post by Samdunn » 24 Jan 2014, 15:30

Hi
Yes, it's me again.. After two nights of sleeping till 6, Sam is waking at 4. I go down and take him out and he'll pee (he has puppy pad but he won't use this now and will wait till outside which I'm pleased with ) but as he'd bark till morning once I bring him back in, I take him into living room, pop him on dog bed on floor and I snooze on sofa till 6 or 7. Obviously this is a bad habit to get in to and I can see I'm rewarding his 4 o'clock wake up with attention but realistically I think I'd rather this than leaving him to bark for the next three hours.
Anyway, just wondering does anybody think he'll just start waking later in which case I'll carry on as we are, or am I making a rod for my own back which I'll regret ?.
(Ps. Living room rug back down and it's been pee free for two days :D )

Singeralvie

Re: 4 am help!

Post by Singeralvie » 24 Jan 2014, 16:03

We had the same with Arthur when he was a pup, he would get up a around 4am and then I would end up sleeping on the sofa, with him asleep on top of me!! :cry:

Gradually he grew out of it and was able to sleep the whole night. We just got a bit stricter and when he woke up wanted to come down stairs, we would tell him to go back to bed - eventually he got it!! :D

He is still an early riser, which is fine in the week when we have to get up at 5.30, but at the weekends it would be nice to sleep in beyond 7am sometimes!!! :roll:
Em, Kelly and Arthur Doodle

sallysutton

Re: 4 am help!

Post by sallysutton » 24 Jan 2014, 19:46

Hi, your Sam looks just like our Stanley! It's a beautiful picture too. I used to do this with Stanley too when he woke up early. I eventually got fed up with napping on the sofa, so took his bed upstairs next to mine. He slept great after that. One day he chose to sleep downstairs in his hall bed, and has been there ever since (I have a gate at the bottom of the stairs as I am a childminder). He started waking up at one stage and I just did a short blast on my dog trainer hissy thingy and he stopped. Good luck.

Gill
Image Image
Stanley miniature doodle