Dicky tummy

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Roodlepippin

Dicky tummy

Post by Roodlepippin » 10 Mar 2014, 23:31

Hi everyone. We've been to Devon this weekend and I stupidly took only Natures menu trays (lamb and veg) and a bit of kibble for Woody. This isn't what he usually has but is much more convenient when we are away. (he's usually on Natural instinct or NbN (raw), eggs, leftovers and bits of kibble etc).

Anyway. Woody's had a brilliant time, sun, sea, sand and lots and lots of hooning about after his flier. BUT he's had quite sloppy poo for a couple of days and I've spotted some slime and - more worryingly- some blood in his poo. He's also been quite clingy for about 24 hours and his tail, rather than being a high-held scimitar, has been really droopy.

He's just not right, although he's still very very keen to run around after his flier. But I'm worried about him and I'm kicking myself for not taking his usual diet.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice as to what to give him to settle his stomach? He seems ravenously hungry and keeps bringing me his bowl, but I can't help feeling I'm just making his dicky tummy worse by giving him bones etc. I can't quite bring myself to starve him for 24 hours because he seems so hungry!! Any advice on calming food for an upset tummy gratefully received...! X

bevjjones

Re: Dicky tummy

Post by bevjjones » 11 Mar 2014, 08:02

Hi,
Boiled white rice with boiled chicken or tuna always helped with Lucky who always seemed to have a dicky tummy! Hope it helps
Bev x
ImageImage

ImageImage

kimberleyone

Post by kimberleyone » 11 Mar 2014, 08:56

We travel from Northamptonshire to Norfolk most weekends and when we first got Mundesley every time we went he got the runs. He wasnt ill with it, just sloppy poo!! We finally got it down to the fact that it had to be the change in water. It is a lot softer in Norfolk. When we had worked it out we took a big bottle of water with us and every time some of it was used we topped it up with the tap water so it wasnt a sudden change. As time has gone by he has got used to it and we dont have the problem!!!

BEE BEE

Post by BEE BEE » 11 Mar 2014, 09:47

Both Ziggy and Bowie have dicky tummies when we go to the sea and have'nt been for a while. The sand does effect them and of course the salt water. If it is realy bad I would starve him for 24hrs as it will not hurt him. Then as Bev as said boiled rice and boiled chicken. It will not hurt to give him this for 2-3 days then gradually start him back on his normall diet. Hope he's better soon.

Bowie & Ziggy (Double Trouble)

Immi

Post by Immi » 11 Mar 2014, 10:17

I've found mashed potato to be more effective than rice, mixed with coked chicken breast. Immi won't tolerate being starved, she gets quite distressed, so I feed little and often when she has an upset tummy.
Gav & Becks.

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 11 Mar 2014, 11:46

I agree with mashed potato ( no milk or butter) and a little steamed white fish or chicken
It is just likely to be change of environment but if not improving after a day on this food I would go to vet
ImageImage
ImageImage

ClareV

Post by ClareV » 11 Mar 2014, 21:22

And if you do mashed potato, use water from lightly broiling the fish to mash the potato with... Make it taste nice, and you don't lose the goodness. White fish or chicken with mashed potato or rice is the lightest food for their tummy. Not too much though.

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Mar 2014, 08:59

I too am a fan of potato and fish - frozen blocks of coley from Tescos are handy things to have in the freezer. I also keep a supply of Pro-Kolin to hand as that is what the vets usually dish out and it saves a visit - you can buy it online.

I know the blood in poo is worrying, but it doesn't necessarily mean somethng bad - it is an indication that there is irritation in the large intestine. If the sloppiness persists, or if he starts to get lethargic I would pop to the vets as he could have picked up some sort of bacterial infection, but as already mentioned - seawater or eating seaweed usually has this effect on dogs.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 12 Mar 2014, 20:13

Thanks for great advice everyone. He seems to have recovered his usual "bounce" over the past couple of days and his poo (sorry!) is back to normal.

I think it was a combination of different water, different food, loads of salt-water and exercise. I will take a bottle of "home" water next time we go and perhaps not encourage him to swim and paddle and race about quite so much!

Interesting about the large intestine irritation / blood in the poo, Bid, that's good to know. I got very worried when I saw it - especially after having read everyone's tales of doggy digestive troubles / allergies etc. I hated seeing him so droopy.