My puppy doesn;t love me - is it a teenager thing

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
canteron

My puppy doesn;t love me - is it a teenager thing

Post by canteron » 11 Mar 2014, 10:45

I really can't remember this with my other dogs, my 7 month old doodle doesn't seem to love me any more :( . She loves frogs and balls and running around in concrete (we have the builders in!) and chewing carpets, diving in the ponds and getting up on tables, but really doesn't want me to cuddle her at all, not even lovely bits of chicken will persuade her I am a nice mummy. :( :(

Where has my sweet cuddly puppy gone? Will she come back :D or am I no more use that a 2nd rate dog servant for ever?

AustinsMumma

Re: My puppy doesn;t love me - is it a teenager thing

Post by AustinsMumma » 11 Mar 2014, 10:52

Haha Auz is like this, has been for a while
He knows everything, can do everything, he's getting bigger & stronger, I can't pick him up and carry him off any more when he misbehaves... so basically, in his mind he is GOD :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

He still comes to me in the morning first thing for a hug and so I can scratch his head then.... 'Tarra Mother, I'm a man now and I'm off to wreck the house and explore my kingdom' :lol:
:|

I'm sure the love will come back.
Eventually.
Probably in about 10 years when they age. J xxx
Last edited by AustinsMumma on 11 Mar 2014, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 11 Mar 2014, 10:57

My Daisy isn't cuddly. She tolerates being stroked as long as you avoid her head, but never snuggles up for a cuddle, and moves away if you try. It's just her way - it doesn't mean she doesn't love me, she just likes her space. What it does mean is that the times when she comes wagging up to me for attention are extra special, and I've learnt that there are other things she loves. She loves it when I go on "Daisy walk" where we go where Daisy leads, she loves it when I sit on a hill and talk to her, she loves it when she makes me laugh, and she really really loves training with me. Daisy gets a huge amount of enjoyment out of life and is a joy to watch - sometimes the independant dogs are the special ones!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 11 Mar 2014, 11:01

Oh bid that was lovely! :cry: :o J xxx
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 11 Mar 2014, 11:19

They are all so different, but they all love us!

Tia only ever wants cuddles when she is tired, then she will take any amount of cuddles and kisses, but otherwise she backs away when you try and make its clear that what she actually wants is food or play!

Having said that, if I am upstairs and have shut the stairgate so she can't come up (because she runs amok) she sits at the gate and cries until I come down!

ImageImage

dexysback

Post by dexysback » 11 Mar 2014, 11:56

Dexter as never been over fussy ,he tends to fuss strangers more than me.He tends to want me when he wants food or a treat.
ImageImage

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 11 Mar 2014, 12:23

Bid, that was lovely post - you described Jasper exactly.
And you're right, it does make the cuddles offered feel more special.
Very rarely, he'll climb up on the bed on a weekend morning for cuddles :D :o :D. its lush when he does.

Jo and Jasper

xxx

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 11 Mar 2014, 13:05

You've just reminded me that I felt this way when Paddy was growing up. He was always an aloof dog, even as a puppy yet obedient and easy to train but I always got the feeling it was because he wanted to do it not because I was asking. And at around 10/11 months he changed in a lot of ways and one was he seemed to want me, started following me around the house, checking I was following when walking and then one day he just plonked his head in my lap under my arm and that's been his cuddle cue ever since. However, when he wants his own space absolutely nothing will get him to come and give us a cuddle. So, when the hormones settle down you may get that affectionate dog you crave but as Bid says there are plenty of ways they can demonstrate their love for you.
ImageImage

swardie

Post by swardie » 11 Mar 2014, 13:07

Again it just shows how different our dogs are, and how much we love them!! I've had a cuddly boy from the off. I've got a feeling that when he's fully grown he'll still want to snug on my lap!!

And Bid, those were lovely words!!

Xx

Immi

Post by Immi » 11 Mar 2014, 14:26

I suspect that dogs like this are very secure psychologically, and have utter faith in their owners love and devotion to them. Take it as a compliment rather than a snub. :D

We used to have a rough collie who didn't like too much physical contact. She adored being with us, sitting by our feet or stretching out next to us in the sunny garden, and loved to be groomed, just wasn't fond of the cuddles. She would have done anything for our family, and even defended us when our house was broken into. She was extremely special and very devoted to the family, she's still greatly missed 13 years on. As Bid said, sometimes these ones are the most special.
Gav & Becks.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 11 Mar 2014, 14:59

A lovely post, Bid... thank you! My lad has never been the cuddly type - like Jo's Auz, I get my share of cuddles first thing in the morning then as far as he's concerned - I don't exist! Random strangers, yes - he shamelessly solicits fuss from them... but me - get lost, I'm a big boy now! Unless I go out and then, apparently, he mopes (but that might just be the OH trying to make me feel better!)
Anne & Ianto x

Jaybz

Post by Jaybz » 14 Mar 2014, 19:35

I sometimes think our Bella doesn't love me. Although she's a real velcro dog at home, and is with me pretty much day and night, when I have gone away and come back, she rather cooly looks at me as if to say, 'Oh, it's you; you're back. Wuddeva!' Anyone else she sees that she knows, it's as if they're her long-lost best buddy! She gives the gyratory tail wag, kisses, enthusiastic jumps, etc. But me? I came back after leaving her at her adored pet-sitter for a week, and she barely got up from her bed to greet me! :? :cry: