Scared the heck out of me

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
User avatar
MandyG
Posts: 1636
Joined: 21 Oct 2011, 12:49
Location: Kent

Scared the heck out of me

Post by MandyG » 20 Mar 2014, 00:09

For the first time ever, Phoebe was running loose in the road today. Five cars had to stop for her and my heart was pounding as I tried to recapture her.

She made a break for freedom as we entered the park. I let her off as usual but instead of heading for the open fields, she turned around and started trotting off down the fairly busy road. She would not come when I called (very unusual) and crossed the street several times, back and forth.

She's never done this before and I felt sheer panic as the cars came along and one by one stopped for her. It must have only been about a minute, but if felt like forever.

Bad girl :evil: :evil:
Image

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Manda64
Posts: 239
Joined: 21 Dec 2013, 16:47
Location: Liverpool

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by Manda64 » 20 Mar 2014, 00:27

This is my worst nightmare!
So glad that you got Phoebe back safe and sound.
Thank God for the courteous drivers of Kent. :P
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image

User avatar
AustinsMumma
Posts: 631
Joined: 16 Oct 2013, 10:47
Location: Bedworth, Warwickshire

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by AustinsMumma » 20 Mar 2014, 00:31

Yup scary isnt it!!??? :shock:
Auz did this when he was about 5mths old. We live on a very busy road, and after his walk one day he slipped his collar at the front door (gawd knows how)! and darted into the road!! Now, this is a road that is CONSTANT with 30-40mph cars.
Without even a seconds thought I ran into the traffic and stopped them all. Miraculously they all stopped! All of them. I got Auz back after what must have been 10 seconds, but like you it seemed like forever!

Very very lucky. Bet you are shaken, but all is fine. What a silly Phoebe!! J xx
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image
Image
Image

beeeerock

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by beeeerock » 20 Mar 2014, 00:37

"And in spite of this," he mumbled to himself, "they admonish me for owning an e-collar..."

:roll: :lol:

User avatar
Bid
Posts: 18722
Joined: 03 Nov 2006, 20:30
Location: South Dorset
Contact:

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by Bid » 20 Mar 2014, 01:07

So glad he's OK - but I can imagine what was going thorugh your mind!

beeeerock wrote:"And in spite of this," he mumbled to himself, "they admonish me for owning an e-collar..."

:roll: :lol:
Too right - because with a lot of dogs the e-collar would be what causes them to run into traffic in the first place!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Image
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

briansangel
Posts: 1133
Joined: 31 Oct 2012, 02:55

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by briansangel » 20 Mar 2014, 03:34

Well said Bid.. Wont say what I think of people who use those cruel collars on dogs I would be banned!!!!! xxx
ImageImage
Image

Doodle Dee
Posts: 3346
Joined: 30 Dec 2012, 13:50
Location: Waltham Abbey
Contact:

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by Doodle Dee » 20 Mar 2014, 07:36

Thank goodness alls well that ends well

I bet you needed a stiff drink afterwards though
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

iwantadog
Posts: 2883
Joined: 29 Sep 2008, 19:50
Location: Dorset

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by iwantadog » 20 Mar 2014, 16:23

Bid wrote:So glad he's OK - but I can imagine what was going thorugh your mind!

beeeerock wrote:"And in spite of this," he mumbled to himself, "they admonish me for owning an e-collar..."

:roll: :lol:
Too right - because with a lot of dogs the e-collar would be what causes them to run into traffic in the first place!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I would have thought an e-collar would scare the dog even more :twisted:

We live near a park and driving down the main road by the park last Sunday there was a gorgeous springer spaniel that had been hit by a car laid on the pavement. I assume s/he had run straight out the park and onto the road. Luckily the dog was still alive and was just laid on the pavement looking at everyone as if to say, what's all the fuss about.

No idea what happened or what the outcome was, but it really upset me.
Image

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

DiSet
Posts: 392
Joined: 01 Dec 2009, 19:42

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by DiSet » 20 Mar 2014, 16:41

I might be mistaken but I think an e-collar would be used in a training situation, at a very low level, not as a punishment for the dog running away. And I think that's how beeeerock uses his (beeeerock please correct me if I'm wrong).

MandyG - glad Phoebe's ok. Who knows what she was thinking when she decided to make a change to her routine. :?: :)

beeeerock

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by beeeerock » 20 Mar 2014, 17:59

Bid wrote:So glad he's OK - but I can imagine what was going thorugh your mind!

beeeerock wrote:"And in spite of this," he mumbled to himself, "they admonish me for owning an e-collar..."

:roll: :lol:
Too right - because with a lot of dogs the e-collar would be what causes them to run into traffic in the first place!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Are you freakin' serious? I seem to recall several posts in the past in which you professed to have direct knowledge, and dare we say it, *expertise*, with which to make some very sweeping statements about the e-collar... which many people seemed to take at face value. Having *actual* *direct* and *regular* experience with the e-collar myself, I knew the statements were essentially BS, but there's nothing to be gained by arguing with a closed mind.

Your response is ignorant, uninformed and in fact *completely stupid*. If you possessed any useful experience with the e-collar you would know this to be true and would never make a comment of this sort.

beeeerock

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by beeeerock » 20 Mar 2014, 18:06

DiSet wrote:I might be mistaken but I think an e-collar would be used in a training situation, at a very low level, not as a punishment for the dog running away. And I think that's how beeeerock uses his (beeeerock please correct me if I'm wrong).

MandyG - glad Phoebe's ok. Who knows what she was thinking when she decided to make a change to her routine. :?: :)
It's used for training and command reinforcement. As I've stated a few times before, the dog needs to know the verbal commands *before* you add the collar. It isn't a punishment device, instead it gets used *with* a command when it appears the dog isn't paying attention. It's the remote control way of tapping him on the shoulder and saying "Hey, I'm talking to YOU!".

Everyone seems to own a dog with good recall, when it's convenient for the dog. Unfortunately, the inconvenient times are the times when it's more likely to get killed or injured as was described in the original post. If you aren't confident of recall when it counts, you probably shouldn't have your dog off-leash. Or if you do, you'd better accept the risks and be willing to live with the consequences. Hand-wringing after the fact won't bring the dog back to life.

Ianto!
Posts: 3307
Joined: 09 May 2013, 00:38
Location: N. E. Derbyshire

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by Ianto! » 20 Mar 2014, 19:08

Mandy,
How awful for you! So glad that everything turned out well for you and your girl. A good excuse to have yourself a celebratory glass of red this evening, I think!!
Anne & Ianto x

sallysutton
Posts: 128
Joined: 15 Nov 2011, 14:34

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by sallysutton » 20 Mar 2014, 19:46

Glad Phoebe is OK - what a fright for you.

Gill
Image Image
Stanley miniature doodle

Chelsea2
Posts: 175
Joined: 13 Jun 2013, 07:46
Location: Italy

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by Chelsea2 » 20 Mar 2014, 21:05

beeeerock wrote:
Bid wrote:So glad he's OK - but I can imagine what was going thorugh your mind!

beeeerock wrote:"And in spite of this," he mumbled to himself, "they admonish me for owning an e-collar..."

:roll: :lol:
Too right - because with a lot of dogs the e-collar would be what causes them to run into traffic in the first place!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Are you freakin' serious? I seem to recall several posts in the past in which you professed to have direct knowledge, and dare we say it, *expertise*, with which to make some very sweeping statements about the e-collar... which many people seemed to take at face value. Having *actual* *direct* and *regular* experience with the e-collar myself, I knew the statements were essentially BS, but there's nothing to be gained by arguing with a closed mind.

Your response is ignorant, uninformed and in fact *completely stupid*. If you possessed any useful experience with the e-collar you would know this to be true and would never make a comment of this sort.
Beeerock, I think by now it must have become clear to you that every time you throw flippant comments around regarding e collars on this forum it causes a thread to degenerate into a debate about the ethics of using these devices. It also appears, to me anyway, that you do this precisely for that reason. What you do to your dog and how you choose to train him is your business. There are many, many people on this forum with highly trained dogs who have achieved this without the use of e collars so your theory that only an e collar solves all recall problems is, in effect, only your point of view - a luxury of which everyone is entitled.
Regarding your comments that Bid makes sweeping BS statements regarding e collars without having experience - you are completely wrong, in fact Bid is probably one of the very people on this forum who does have direct experience with their use. She didn't like what she saw, doesn't agree with the theory behind it, and doesn't like the effect it has had on the dog on which it is used.
So can we please stop the e collar debate as it is getting quite boring now and I would hate for all the new puppy owners on here to read this advice and pop on the net, order an e collar and think a quick zap will train their dog to have 100% recall and then come on here and tell us their puppy freaked out so much when buzzed, tingled, zapped, shocked, however you want to describe it, that he ran out in front of a car and was killed. Using an e collar requires specialist training, it doesn't suit all dogs, and it won't solve all problems - in fact it could make some problems worse and in the wrong hands could have tragic consequences.

Jay128
Posts: 1047
Joined: 18 Dec 2012, 06:31
Location: Liverpool

Re: Scared the heck out of me

Post by Jay128 » 20 Mar 2014, 21:15

And there you go again Beeerock,
There is a part of me that wonders if you are really as sure of yourself when using your collar as you would like all to believe. I find it disappointing that when someone is obviously upset and stressed that you feel the need to have a dig. I find you rather like watching that sad student in class who so wants the rest of the group to agree with him and then seems quite surprised when they don't.

We are all adults and have a choice to make and from what I have read most of the people on this site wouldn't make the choices you do. I for one am fed up of the debate you keep pushing forward and choose not to comment on it when I see it, I am bored of it, sorry, but I am.
If this thread had stated it was going to be discussing the E collar I would have stayed away but it didn't you high jacked it and made it all about you by having a dig.

If what I have said upsets anyone, I am sorry. If I have really over stepped the mark then ask me to leave and I will find another way of keeping in touch with the supportive, friendly and kind people I have met on this forum.

Can you not just let it go and accept that we are all going to choose for our selves and don't like having it shoved down our throats at every opportunity.

MandyG, back to you and Phoebe :shock:
So glad that Phoebe is safe and well. Poppy has only ever done this once and it was in our quiet neighborhood where children play so people drive very slowly. My heart was still in my mouth and it scared me to death but I was lucky as not being so frightened that she would be run over I was able to keep my voice light and friendly and she came right back.
Sometimes they just nearly scare us to death, it's a good job we love them :D
ImageImage

Post Reply