Woody neutered tomorrow...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Roodlepippin

Woody neutered tomorrow...

Post by Roodlepippin » 24 Apr 2014, 18:33

Woody is in for the chop tomorrow. He's just had his last meal, and I keep expecting him to ask for a cigarette.

Can you tell I'm feeling a bit tense about it?

Anyone got any good advice?? Will he have to wear the cone of shame?? Will he feel rough afterwards? Will he lick his bits?? How long before he can resume bouncing??

And, more importantly, will he ever forgive me for leaving him with those butchers??? Will he ever willingly cross the threshold of the vets again?? And will he be OK??

Yours in trauma!!! :(

Helen & Rigby

Re: Woody neutered tomorrow...

Post by Helen & Rigby » 24 Apr 2014, 18:40

I'm sorry I don't have any advice, just that I feel your pain! We're just about to sort dates for Rigs debobbling. And I know I will be worried sick! He's my baby! :(
ImageImage

swardie

Post by swardie » 24 Apr 2014, 18:44

I'm sure it'll all be fine, but can totally understand why you're worried- your Dood will be really glad to see you and have hugs when it's all over!!x

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 24 Apr 2014, 18:55

That's what I'm most worried about - the thought of leaving him there!

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 24 Apr 2014, 19:55

Oh don't :cry: I'm not much help am I!
ImageImage

marymuffin

Post by marymuffin » 24 Apr 2014, 20:10

Dexter was the same as usual,no slowing down, no extra sleeping,just the same old lively doodle, and that was straight from the vets! After a week or two he was impossible ,naughty, uncontrollable pain in the derrier. Then over the weeks and months he has calmed down a lot , recall much better,even listens more often than not. On holiday recently he was a star, ball obsessed and brilliant off lead. He will no doubt embarrass me on Sunday at Banstead Woods! H and D

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 24 Apr 2014, 22:51

I know the feeling...
When we dropped Ianto off, I had to go out for the day because I needed to take my mind off it. A good trawl around Ikea was suitably mind-numbing.

They're not under for very long as it's a simpler operation than the one for bitches. Ianto was a bit sorry for himself (but he was under for longer cos he had xrays). I had to put a cone on him all the time at first because he kept trying to have a lick :cry: . The vet gave us some Loxicom (Meloxicam) drops to put in his food. He didn't need any painkillers straight away as he was still under the influence of the GA.

We got so that he could be allowed out of the cone when we were around and just popped it on if we had to leave him. I found that the Buster ones were better than the ones from P@H - you can thread their collar through them and it holds them in place. (Note the plurals - he had a habit of running straight at doors and splitting the collars so that he looked more like one of those frilly, spitty dinosaurs in Jurassic Park... :roll: )

Ianto looked so pathetic (he worked it) and I was rather upset about his HD diagnosis so all my objections to him being on the sofa flew out of the window - and he's been allowed up there ever since! So he kind of got a reward :roll: He was on restricted exercise which was difficult...

We too found that recall improved, he started to pay more attention (the cloth ears had been driving me mad!!) But it is strange to see the space where 'they' should be - I'd got used to them being there.... And I did feel guilty but weighed up the advantages - including health issues as the two elderly rescues I'd had before were both diagnosed with testicular cancer.

He'll be fine - and Ianto still skips merrily into the vets!

Let us know how Woody, and you, get on -
Anne & Ianto x

gilly g

Post by gilly g » 24 Apr 2014, 23:05

Hi!
Polo was 2 when he had The Op (birthday pressie :? )- did chemical implants for 1 year before to see how he reacted.
Must admit he was very groggy when he came home mid afternoon, but right as rain not too long after, to the extent that he tore the Cone of Shame off, despite it being attached to a collar, by being bound around it. So,as my then 22 yo son was working abroad, I borrowed a pair of his boxers for Polo (tail through the fly) to stop him getting to the small external wound (only 2 stitches externally but many more inside, so don't be deceived!) but he didn't really bother - the Cone annoyed him most.

If vets are consistent, it will be short lead walks and not to let him go crazy in the house-as he can split those internal stitches- but after 2 weeks, back to normal

Btw, washed son's boxers, back in room and he is still non the wiser :lol:

Teddiedoodles

Post by Teddiedoodles » 24 Apr 2014, 23:23

I feel for you. I was so upset when I dropped Ted off at the vets for his op. He was no different when I picked him up bouncing around as usual. He wasn't the slightest bit groggy.
They didn't send him home with a cone but I did go back and get one cause he kept trying to lick. Although it only lasted a couple of hours cause he kept banging into things!!
I am sure Woody will be fine. Best wishes for tomorrow and hope for a speedy recovery xx
Image[/url]

willow&kobi

Post by willow&kobi » 25 Apr 2014, 00:01

Big hugs to Woody for tomorrow.. Willow gets spayed on Tuesday :cry:

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 25 Apr 2014, 09:40

Thanks everyone, you really are a lovely lot.

I've just dropped him off. Leaving him there was horrible, but at least they walked him off into the back room so I didn't have to look into those eyes as I left.

I'm off to Bluewater - probably equally mind-numbing as Ikea, (tho possibly more dangerous on the credit card front!) I do feel really anxious about it. I thought I would be OK, having had animals all my life! But I guess it makes sense that you worry, they're such a huge presence in our lives. He feels totally irreplaceable. Even when he is doing his damnedest to make me cross!

Thanks VERY much for telling me about the internal stitches - I had no idea! I'd have probably looked at the small incision / stitches on the outside and thought "well, that's nothing, lets let him have a run". Tho actually, I can't imagine keeping him on a lead for two weeks. Oh GOD!! :shock: :lol:

Good luck for Rigs and Willow... XXX

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 25 Apr 2014, 16:16

How is he doing?

Anne & Ianto x

Manda64

Post by Manda64 » 25 Apr 2014, 17:49

Hope Woody's op went ok with no I'll effects. :(
FLINT sends lots of hugs, his op won't be too long off! :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 26 Apr 2014, 12:48

Well... went to fetch him at 5.30 and he was a bit groggy and disorientated but basically Ok. He seemed a bit out-of-it in the evening but he's fine this morning. The worst thing was seeing all the raw patches around his back end - he looks like he's been properly hacked about. I can't see any stitches, they've cleverly buried them. I think it probably looks worse than it is but I still feel guilty!

We are now entering the "how the hell do we stop him bouncing around" stage!

We were told garden-only (on lead) for two days, then lead walks only for 10 days. But he's already going a bit stir crazy - we just got back from the kids' swimming lesson to be treated to the full-on doodle-dash round the house... Groan!

No need for the cone of shame yet (just as well, coz it's big enough to fit a horse and probably wouldn't allow him to get into his den / bed). If he does start having a go at his stitches I'll probably try the boxer-shorts treatment (my husband's got some ancient ones that I would quite like to see the back of anyway!!).

Thanks for all the info and support, it's much appreciated!

XXX

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » 27 Apr 2014, 00:29

I been meaning to make an appointment for my chihuahua to get his debobbled he just turned 2 yrs old at the end of Feb. I'm very nervous about it though because he's so small. My other chihuahua was already done when I got him he was already 2 yrs old. It scares me to think that he may not wake up. I have to get him done soon because now that theres a female dog in the house I'm worried he may start to mark. So sometime in the next couple weeks he will be going in.