Advice please re doggy dandruff

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
sallysutton

Advice please re doggy dandruff

Post by sallysutton » 18 May 2014, 07:52

I noticed for the first time yesterday when grooming Stanley that he appears to have dandruff, but only at the thickest part of his tail. I'm wondering if when I have washed him I have not rinsed out the shampoo thoroughly in his tail. I don't wash him very often, the last time being during the winter when he got very muddy. He's got a scruffy coat, which I had trimmed quite short a few weeks ago. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Gill
Image Image
Stanley miniature doodle

annvinton

Re: Advice please re doggy dandruff

Post by annvinton » 18 May 2014, 08:29

I know that dogs have a gland on their tail and that this sometimes matts the fur together ..I think they call it "stud" tail, the gland can be overactive or even infected. It could be, that as the only place Stanley has dandruff is on his tail that this gland is involved ...... or as you say, maybe shampoo not rinsed out enough.
Ann & Ben

ImageImage

sallysutton

Re: Advice please re doggy dandruff

Post by sallysutton » 18 May 2014, 18:33

Thanks Ann, I've never heard of stud tail before. After our walk in the woods today - where Stanley found ALL the stinky puddles that hadn't dried out yet - I shampooed his legs and tail in my normal doggy shampoo, and made sure I thoroughly rinsed his tail. The dandruff has gone!
Image Image
Stanley miniature doodle