Malting madness

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sasha & Pluto

Malting madness

Post by Sasha & Pluto » 24 May 2014, 20:08

Hiya, I'm after some advise/help. Pluto is 8mths old now and recently his malting has gone crazy. I hoover the floor of dust bunnies and a few hours later more appear. After a cuddle I am covered in his fur. Are there any tips to manage it? Should I get him cut right back? Is there a special brush that would help? As a first time dood owner I have no clue!!
Below is the latest pic of him

Sasha & Pluto

ImageImage[/url]

Nicky

Re: Malting madness

Post by Nicky » 24 May 2014, 20:40

Hi a de shedding comb is good, it has fine teeth and combs out the lose hair. You have to use it regularly for a while. Finish off with an organic grooming spray brushed in. Organic is better less chemicalsx

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 25 May 2014, 08:00

Murphy also moults for England! I've actually got to the stage where I give up, I could brush him twice a day and each time I would get enough out of him to build another complete dog! I bought myself a Dyson stick Hoover and use it regularly!!

And people still say doodles don't moult!!! :roll:

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 25 May 2014, 12:07

I do the same as Wendy - use a stick hoover twice a day. If you are lucky it may just be his adult coat coming in, but it might just be the way things are going to be now - hairy!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 25 May 2014, 13:27

Welcome to the world of doodles! Fur bunnies have moved into my house and I'm afraid they're here to stay. It does make my laugh when people say "oh, they don't moult, do they?" If only they knew!!!

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 25 May 2014, 17:42

Sorry can't help with the malting, as Oscar doesn't malt at all :D , but however it does seem such a shame to let all this lovely fur go to waste :( . Check out this link, it seems to make good sense to me :lol: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jHTfshTzpM

Good luck,

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 25 May 2014, 20:20

Dog hair sweaters!!!!! That is just wrong on so many counts!!!!! EEEEEWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

rubybenronan1

Post by rubybenronan1 » 25 May 2014, 22:04

Nell doesnt moult/shed, i groom her 3-4 times a week with a safari comb, followed by a brush. thats the only time i get fur from her, dont know if that will change, she is F4 fleecy ( ithink!)

xx

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 02 Jun 2014, 17:32

At 8 months, it may be the puppy coat coming out. If that's the case, the situation will improve once the old coat is completely gone.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 03 Jun 2014, 22:18

Agree with above, 8 months is the exact age that the pup coat falls or moults and the adult coat appears - you might find it's less shedding than before or more... let's hope for the former!

Lola doesn't shed at all but when she was losing her puppy coat it fell into her coat that was growing and tangled horribly, at one point I was grooming her for 2 hours a day!

i d it with a metal comb as then you can feel the tangles and you know you are doing it from the skin up - with a brush it's very easy to just glide over the top and not actually get the coat out properly or tangles out properly.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)