To trim or not to trim now that is the question?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
ChrisD

To trim or not to trim now that is the question?

Post by ChrisD » 03 Jun 2014, 12:09

I was having a chat with another doodle owner in our area just recently and she thought it was disgusting that I was not thinking of getting the Budster doods coat trimmed back for the summer. :roll:
She actually said I was cruel to leave Buddy unshorn :shock: .
I was wondering what your thoughts on the topic are?
I love Buddy’s beard and hair its part of his lovely appeal...

Helen & Rigby

Re: To trim or not to trim now that is the question?

Post by Helen & Rigby » 03 Jun 2014, 12:24

I clip rig short, partly because its cooler, partly because its easier to keep, and partly because he's not over fond of being brushed.

But each to there own. :D
ImageImage

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » 03 Jun 2014, 12:42

Thanks for replying..... I am considering it now...but thought the ladies I spoke to comments were a bit harsh....her pup looked like a skinny new born lamb after its cut but i didnt say so :lol:

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 03 Jun 2014, 12:45

I guess it depends if you need to. Sam is 7 months and never been trimmed. His coat is a shaggy hair coat, doesn't get overly long and easy to brush, so don't really see need to cut his.

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » 03 Jun 2014, 12:57

Sam sounds a bit like Buddy...his coat is shaggy... he loves being brushed..thinks its a game..

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 03 Jun 2014, 13:15

* their!

Exactly, I don't understand why some people must be so opinionated! :roll:

:D
ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 03 Jun 2014, 14:41

i think it's different if it's an opinion which is just 'taste' or an opinion based on welfare -I'd say if your dog's coat is very thick then it will be vastly more comfortable if cut for the summer, and could avoid heat stroke.

I'm noting that you said you said his beard is part of his 'lovely appeal' which doesn't really take account of his welfare, lol! But surely his beard wouldn't need to be cut that much just thinned?

But I'm pretty sure you'd get him cut if you noticed him panting or trying to lie in cool areas etc.

However, I'd also mention ticks and nasty things they pick up in grass like seeds - with a long coat these cannot be seen and can cause a terrible amount of discomfort and irritation - and a long coa can also hide heat rash etc.

i certainly wouldn't attack someone about their dog or say 'disgusting if the weren't going to though - but I might point out the above!

But I can't see him - if he is a scruffy without the thick coat then he may be perfectly cool enough.

(Opinionated of the South West!)
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Chelsea2

Post by Chelsea2 » 03 Jun 2014, 14:57

I think it depends on the type of coat he has. My curlies are clipped very short in the summer, as is my poodle - their hair doesn't shed like normal dogs and just keeps on growing, so they are clipped regularly throughout the year but more radically in the summer. The 2 thick coated fleecy type doods are also clipped short for the summer as, otherwise, they suffer greatly in the heat as their coats are so dense and heavy. During the winter they keep their full coats, autumn and spring I trim them back with the scissors. My other doods have scruffy coats and naturally lose a lot of their fur as the weather warms up so I don't clip them, they don't suffer in the heat even though they appear quite hairy as their fur is not thick and heavy. The only parts of them that are kept short are their feet, between the pads especially, as they do tend to get grass seeds in there, under their ears to allow air to circulate and prevent ear infections and their bums and other intimate bits for hygiene purposes. We live in Italy so the summers are very hot.

Perhaps you could take your pup to a groomer and ask their advice?

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » 03 Jun 2014, 15:06

Hi Liz....you have some valid points i hadnt even taken into account...the tics....hmmm I wouldn't be able to see them in his coat ...and i do like to walk him around the countryside... Tics really ARE a good reason to get him done...thanks for you imput that really is food for thought

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » 03 Jun 2014, 15:10

Hi Chelsea2... thanks for commenting....
I have spoken to a groomer and the vet...both *sighs*!! said its personal choice.... I think I may just have to bite the bullet and get him done...he is a bit of a water babe...so that's another reason for cutting......his hair seems to be a mix of both curly and long hair

Chelsea2

Post by Chelsea2 » 03 Jun 2014, 15:31

Oh one more thing I forgot :lol: If you do feel like you might like to have him trimmed regularly it is a good idea to start getting him used to going to the groomer while he is still young. I clip dogs here as favours for people in the village and also at the kennels where I work and I can tell you it is no fun whatsoever battling with a big dog who doesn't want to be cooperative :roll:

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » 03 Jun 2014, 15:38

yup i did wonder if its better early .....think that's why i haved been mulling this topic over so much recently.....thanks :D

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 03 Jun 2014, 15:54

Perhaps I should clarify, I mean forcefully opinionated! :D :lol:
ImageImage

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 03 Jun 2014, 16:57

Just to add, I live in Scotland so not much over heating goes on! Plus I hand trim around his eyes and hairy nose bridge so he can see.

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 03 Jun 2014, 18:43

I see a night and day difference in Bodhi's level of energy after a clipping, once the temperature is into the spring/summer range. It was evident last year as a puppy and again this year as a teenager. Bodhi did 7 km last night in 29 degrees with the bikes. He wouldn't have kept up without having been cut short. When we get into the mid-30's again it will be even more important.

I don't buy into the Billy Crystal 'Fernando' character's take on life... "Better to look good than to feel good and, dahling, you look mahvelous.." I don't really care if Bodhi looks goofy(er!) with short hair than long, only that he DOES feel good.