To trim or not to trim now that is the question?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
ChrisD

Re: To trim or not to trim now that is the question?

Post by ChrisD » 04 Jun 2014, 19:41

Ianto! wrote:Chris,
You could always go for the 'Teddy' cut, where they're just trimmed up and look like a Teddy bear... I used to have Ianto done that way when he was younger. (And other people find it adorable, so loads of fuss & cuddles for your dood!)

A word of caution on running Buddy, try to remember that in general, it's advisable to stick with the five minutes per month rule for exercise whilst they're young - it protects their growing bones...
Anne & Ianto x
Wow! Thanks Anne...I really had never heard about over running him...l can't run with him but when he is out walking and meets up with his mates...he does run with them...some times like a mad pup... playing tag like friendly dogs seem to do.

I went into a dog groomers today.....just to ask... made some excuse to leave without booking up when she said he NEEDS a number 3 cut :shock: ....all i could see was a #3 crew cut like Squaddies have to have :lol: ......

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 04 Jun 2014, 19:46

Number 3 is quite long!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » 04 Jun 2014, 21:03

Liz!! wrote:Number 3 is quite long!
I know am just gonna have to bite the bullet and get him done...it seems the best thing for HIM...but I shall miss his curly black locks lol......when i eventually get it done

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 05 Jun 2014, 07:46

I have pixie done on a number 3 and she is a scruffy coat. She is very short - like velvet.
Jazz is on a number 5 and she has a mix of fleece and waves. She is short enough.
The groomer should be more conservative on the first trim and just tidy up a little and not judge the level of cut as the coat will change over the next few months.
I would ask for a light teddy trim and see what you like about it and then book again for about 6 weeks to try any amendments.
It took 3 trims before I was happy
ImageImage
ImageImage

ChrisD

Post by ChrisD » 05 Jun 2014, 10:47

pixie's mum wrote:I have pixie done on a number 3 and she is a scruffy coat. She is very short - like velvet.
Jazz is on a number 5 and she has a mix of fleece and waves. She is short enough.
The groomer should be more conservative on the first trim and just tidy up a little and not judge the level of cut as the coat will change over the next few months.
I would ask for a light teddy trim and see what you like about it and then book again for about 6 weeks to try any amendments.
It took 3 trims before I was happy

Glad to hear there is a longer cut than number 3.....Buddy has waves and Fleece....I can understand that he needs to be cooler in the summer....and that it will stop matting...i just didnt want him to look like a new born lamb... Am going to phone up a few and perhaps visit the dog parlour....before i think about getting him done. I thnk I will feel happier then.
Thanks for telling me :D

Chelsea2

Post by Chelsea2 » 05 Jun 2014, 14:08

Actually it depends whether they were talking blade or comb attachment length. A 3 blade will leave the coat longer than a 5 blade (around 10mm as opposed to 6ish if I remember rightly) as the cutting length increases as the blade number decreases. Comb attachments work the opposite way so the higher the number the longer the coat.

PS A Teddy cut is adorable and guaranteed to make everyone want to hug and kiss your dog :lol:

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Jun 2014, 16:40

Have a look at a few posts where people have had their doodles trimmed and if you find a photo that you like take it to a groomer with you - that's what I did the first time I took Daisy, and the groomer did exactly what I asked for!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 05 Jun 2014, 18:26

You could be a real sado like me, and snip off a few curls to keep! :D :lol: :roll:
ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 06 Jun 2014, 17:14

I did that, Bid! Particularly for the face. We left lola far too long when she was little and she got very tangled... but she did look gorgeous!

This is what she looked like at 6 months:

Scrumptious... but she was too hot and boy, all of a sudden (you'll know when it is) her underarms and behind her ears were incredibly matted, and stayed matted no matter what i did... so her first cut we took her to just sit and have treats in the groomers for half an hour, watch other (happy) dogs being done, then we took her back the next week to be cut a bit.

Now this is what I like her to look like:

Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 06 Jun 2014, 22:17

Blimey Liz, she looks gorgeous - but isn't barbed wire a little harsh for grooming??? (smiley face)
Anne & Ianto x

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 08 Jun 2014, 11:46

Lol!

Do you know, we've never seen any sheep in this field, so we must have been doing another walk when there were...

She is such a good little girl, she waits at each field edge until all humans are through and until she's been given the go ahead to come through herself - this was just after she'd been given permission!

Dexter_Mir

Post by Dexter_Mir » 08 Jun 2014, 15:21

There are lots of arguments as to why you should not clip you dog for summer and some say that contrary to popular belief, shaving your long-haired dog (or cat) will not keep him/her cooler during the hot, summer months.

Shaving pets for the summer can actually predispose them to sun burn and to heat exhaustion/heat stroke. Long hair and thick undercoats act as insulation against the sun's rays and their effects. Coats that are kept well-brushed and mat-free allow for good air circulation through the hair, which in itself can actually have a cooling effect. On the contrary, matted, unkempt hair coats stifle air circulation and do little to help cool the body. In other words, daily brushing is a must during the hot, summer months.

Worth a thought ?

Benben

Post by Benben » 08 Jun 2014, 16:49

Ursa has been very obviously suffering in the heat, to the point where I wondered if we were going to get home from the park the other day when it was really hot in the afternoon. I've booked her in for a clip on Wednesday - I'll ask the groomer not to go too radical but I'm sure it will give her some relief. Her fur is mostly black and her skin is quite dark with a black nose and deep brown eyes so I'm not too worried about sunburn.

I've also started walking her much later in the day and she's much happier. (Lucky girl has gone to spend the day today with her best friend Hebe in Hebe's family's orchard, where she can run about and flop down under a tree just as often as she likes)

By the way, when she was much younger I tried using a hair dryer on her and she was having none of it. It was that that decided me to take her to a groomer - she was sixteen weeks old for her first visit. The groomer said they'd had a lovely time and she'd not batted an eyelid at the dryer. This will be her third visit and I know she'll bounce up to the door as if it was the biggest treat in the world! So I think it's definitely worth finding a good groomer and getting them started young - I asked anyone with a poodly/shaggy/curly dog I saw in the park who their groomers were, and the ones I liked all said the same name. She's wonderful and Ursa simply adores her.
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

Ally doodle

Post by Ally doodle » 08 Jun 2014, 17:16

Ally has a long wavy coat we leave it longer in winter then get her cut for the spring not to short as Northern Ireland isn't known for its tropical heat :lol:

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 08 Jun 2014, 18:37

"Shaving pets for the summer can actually predispose them to sun burn and to heat exhaustion/heat stroke."

I don't think anyone has mentioned shaving! Just cutting shorter so the air can indeed circulate and it's easier to keep matt free for that very purpose.

I think we've all see huge hairy dogs panting in the sun.

But i agree also that it's best to keep them out of the sun mostly, because even if they have a full body of thick hair, their noses and ears can get burnt.