Scooby and traffic

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
scooby Dood

Scooby and traffic

Post by scooby Dood » 05 Jun 2014, 09:25

We are finding that Scooby is now getting a little nervous with traffic and loud noises. She has been used to traffic and noises since she was a young pup but now at 6 six months and after being spayed she seems to be regressing. We are starting again with sitting her on the pavement watching the traffic and giving treats.
Has anyone experienced this before and we would be grateful,for any help.or advice. :(
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

dexysback

Re: Scooby and traffic

Post by dexysback » 05 Jun 2014, 10:39

My sisters dog ates traffic he goes in car for walk but if she puts lead on for walk he would shake ,but saying that i think my sister caused it she used to shout cars if he went by the end of her drive.Hope your dog gets better.
ImageImage

swardie

Post by swardie » 05 Jun 2014, 12:33

We're semi rural, and Dex is a bad traveller, but he's used to tractors ( we live next to farmland, and the farmer stops off for a cuppa, and also ( because we're not far from a main( rural) road, he's seen lorries, buses, horseboxes, heavy farming machinery etc, and also, he's getting used to the farmers bird scaring bangs. He's a bit of a sensitive soul, so we're well pleased with how he's got to grips with his surroundings, but we've never made a fuss with anything he's seemed bothered about, always consistent, and it's paid off!! Now just need to get his car phobia sorted!! Best of luck. X

Ally doodle

Post by Ally doodle » 05 Jun 2014, 14:48

I can't help I'm afraid as ally is fine with traffic til somebody toots there horn at you and she nearly lands on my head which is difficult as you can't tell when somebody is going do it :D

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Jun 2014, 16:43

6 - 14 months is the second fear imprint stage, so I expect that is why it seems like Scooby is regressing. You are doing exactly the right thing repeating everything you did when she was a pup. :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Willow Dood

Post by Willow Dood » 05 Jun 2014, 20:09

Sorry, I can't be of any help. Willow has always had a fear of cars, vans, lorries etc and is getting no better. She is obsessed with them and will not pay any attention to anything you try and tempt her with. We also drive her to her walk, but she barks at the traffic that overtakes us or is going the other way especially if it is white or red. She even barks at parked cars.

If you find the solution, please be sure to post it on here.
Good luck and I hope that Scooby gets over her fears soon.
Sue and Willow xx

ImageImage

beeeerock

Post by beeeerock » 05 Jun 2014, 20:47

Bodhi was nervous of traffic from the very beginning. His tail was a barometer... the busier the road, the lower it went, to the point of slinking like a German Shepherd - tail down, back end low. If he knew where he was going and didn't like the idea, he would buck and rear back like a wild horse.

Then he went to 'boot camp' for basic obedience and saddle breaking. That incorporated a choke chain and the basic 'heel', 'sit' commands etc.

He came back with a different attitude. Seeing the choke chain gets him excited and happy because he knows it means going out and doing something - even walking with traffic. His tail would drop a little along busy roads, but not like before. And there was no obstinance or refusal to take certain routes.

Having to walk to heel and be aware of what the human on the other end of the leash was doing gave him something to focus on and that took priority over the fear he had been feeling before. He has continued to improve to the point where there is little indication of fear. Now there is more of an awareness of the dangers around him and he does keep track of what is going on in the street, but not to the point of fear. Which is fine by me... a Border Collie lunged at my car as I drove by it the other day, almost dragging the owner into the street. I'm much happier to see some fear and respect than a tendency towards suicide.

Bid

Post by Bid » 05 Jun 2014, 21:14

Willow Dood wrote:Sorry, I can't be of any help. Willow has always had a fear of cars, vans, lorries etc and is getting no better. She is obsessed with them and will not pay any attention to anything you try and tempt her with. We also drive her to her walk, but she barks at the traffic that overtakes us or is going the other way especially if it is white or red. She even barks at parked cars.
If you cant get her attention when traffic is passing, you are probably starting too close to it - every dog has a trigger point beyond which they can't cope - you may have more success if you can move a little further back from the traffic to start with, and build up slowly as the gtrigger point gets closer. Also dogs that bark at traffic in cars often travel better in a covered crate - may be worth a try if you have a crate.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 05 Jun 2014, 21:20

Many thanks all for your help and support. Helpful ad always. Will let you know the outcome.x

Scooby and her hoomans. :?
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 05 Jun 2014, 22:48

Take it gently and slowly as said early ,start off at a distance where she is comfortable with any of the situations and let her approach if she wants. Don't put a timescale on it. Remember also don't keep looking all sad and an upset about the situation( though it is heart rendering to see your own dog being so scared of something) I think they pick up on us looking glum and worried too.
Wish you well.

Willow Dood

Post by Willow Dood » 09 Jun 2014, 09:11

Thank you for the help with Willow too (sorry to hijack your post Scooby Dood). I think you might have hit the nail on the head Bid, as there does seem to be a correlation between distance (and speed) of the cars and the reaction from Willow. On our village lane, the reaction is actually far worse than in Newbury, where there are many more cars going past. I think that some training sessions in the town centre (where we can vary the distance between her and the cars) is called for. Thank you and I will let you know we get on.
Sue and Willow xx

ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 09 Jun 2014, 12:17

We also employed the method of standing near then nearer loud noises and cars with Lola.

We just stayed still and chatted and laughed and stayed calm and showed no reaction to any reaction she had, like fear.

I live in a busy village and often combine harvesters, lorries and tractors roar by very close to the pavement, or even non-pavement, and she doesn't like it when that happens, but she doesn't cower, shiver or refuse to move, she just keeps on walking, but gets in on the pavement.

I think if your dog shows NO acknowledgement of the loudness and nearness under such circumstances then they have gone too far the other way - I certainly don't like it, why should she? If she showed no reaction at all I'd worry that she was numb. And fear of the noise keeps her safer - away from them!

Just enough fear as above and the ability to stay 'normal' and respond to commands and keep doing what we are doing seems appropriate to me, and it sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Benben

Post by Benben » 09 Jun 2014, 14:17

I think that makes a lot of sense. Ursa was frightened of cars coming too close when she was small; now she's a bit bigger she still does react to loud or unexpected traffic noise. I live in a town but not near any busy roads, so it can be a few days before she's exposed to noisy vehicles. When she was smaller I found it really useful to go and sit near the traffic lights in town so we could watch buses and motorbikes (she got very wound up because of their habit of suddenly and noisily materialising). There's a spot where I could sit next to her and make a fuss, and it does seem to have helped - if she's frightened by a loud noise or a vehicle coming close, she now looks to me for reassurance, and that does break the cycle of fear and over-excitement.
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

val&finn

Post by val&finn » 09 Jun 2014, 17:24

Hi Scooby Dood - commiserations! We've had 6 years of this! I believe you do the right thing but from my experience you need to do a lot of it, and on a daily basis. Finn grew up on a building site, so had encounters with diggers, lorries and large plants on a daily basis - he does not bat an eyelid when one of those goes by. Cars, however, he goes berserk. Also, sitting in the car boot he 'tweets' a lot and is generally very vocal when cars are passing us, or close up behind. You should hear him in a roundabout! It's more prominent on the way out to somewhere than on the return trip. To make matters even more difficult - on long drives he is perfect, just snuggles up in his bed on the back seat and sleeps all the way from Sussex to southern Germany and Austria. Amazing.

We sought the help of an animal behaviourist who told us that it was not fear but that he has a high chase instinct, so we should keep him calm and composed all the time, no chase games. I found this advice difficult to follow so we tried another behaviourist who focused on two things, the getting used to it and how we could manage it. We also used a spray collar (water) - worked brilliantly, but only for 2 weeks. I have to say that when OH went to sit by road daily for an hour with sausage treats, Finn got much better, but OH got very bored (he's main carer as I still work full time) and hardly ever does it now because he finds Finn's behaviour upsetting. As we live in the country and can avoid roads, well most of them.

The head collar made a big difference - he's much easier to handle, although he's still very noisy and screeches his head off when cars are approaching, he can only tolerate one as long as it is not going too fast. On the other hand, Doodle No 2, Izzy, ten months old, walks in total silence and perfectly to heel. She doesn't like motor bikes, but still remains composed.

Apologies, that is a bit of a long reply and the only advice I would offer is to do the getting used do religiously if you have the time (and the nerves...)

Good luck, Val
Val, Finn Doodle & Izzy Whizz