Elvis has left the building...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Roodlepippin

Elvis has left the building...

Post by Roodlepippin » 17 Jun 2014, 17:19

Or, more accurately, Woody has left the garden...

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop your (otherwise very well behaved and socially acceptable) dog from disappearing into other people's gardens?

I work from a shed in the bottom of the garden and its too stuffy to have the door shut at the moment, so he's with me down there most of the time and quite often asleep in the sun / digging up my plants / chewing bits of my fruit tree branches to bits / generally being a pain in the bum. :roll:

But over the past few weeks I've suddenly heard him barking at a distance, having gone through our hedge and into someone else's garden (and quite possibly the one beyond that).

He always comes straight back when he's called, and I try to patch the hedge up so he can't get through, but we have long, old hedges on both sides of the garden, so he always finds a new exit point when I'm not looking.

To add insult to injury, he came back this afternoon having had an uninterrupted five minutes to cover himself head to toe in fox poo! :evil: :roll:

It makes me SO CROSS with him, (and sorry for my neighbours) but I can't punish him when he comes back (not if I want him to keep coming back, anyway!) so how do I make it clear this behaviour is totally unacceptable? In the short term he's just going to have to be tied up on a lead next to my desk but I'd like a better - ie. training - solution.

I've even contemplated the evil e-collars so he gets zapped every time he leaves the boundaries but I don't think I've reached that point yet... One more fox poo incident might tip me over the edge though!

beeeerock

Re: Elvis has left the building...

Post by beeeerock » 17 Jun 2014, 20:01

8) :lol:

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 17 Jun 2014, 20:36

One of those big corkscrew thingies that screw into garden with a long line attached to said doodle
ImageImage
ImageImage

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 17 Jun 2014, 21:17

Beeeerock, that made me laugh so much :lol:
Rachel & Roma

swardie

Post by swardie » 18 Jun 2014, 07:02

Top idea, Beeeerock- like your old skool thinking!! :lol:

poppygreen

Post by poppygreen » 18 Jun 2014, 13:31

If your garden is too big to secure completely why not secure a section he can be free but can't get out. We have a four and a half metre post and rail fence covered in chicken wire as the dog run from the back door which keeps the rest of my garden [and the cats and rabbits] safe from being doodled.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 18 Jun 2014, 16:45

Our new garden is currently being 'dog-proofed' with fence posts and wire behind the hedge... We're hoping our own 'Steve McQueen' doesn't find his motorbike and attempt another Great Escape :lol: He's being contained with the corkscrew and chain apparatus at the moment - but he still manages to get wrapped around it (and cries most pitifully if we pop indoors without him... :cry: ) Little d*vil!!
Anne & Ianto x

Roodlepippin

Post by Roodlepippin » 18 Jun 2014, 18:05

I nearly choked on my breakfast cereal at Beeeerock's anchor picture ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, I could restrict him with a screw-thingy and a cable, but having just come back from a camping trip I've got my doubts! For three full days my (donkey-sized & very energetic) hound wove in and out of everyone's guy ropes and collapsed people's camping chairs from underneath them (amazing how my friends managed to keep their beers upright). And leaving him in a restricted area (eg our patio) results in earth-shattering howling and is a bit unfair given I work from home. So it has to be either prevention or severe consequences for crossing the boundary....

Anne, I think you're probably right - a friend has cut her hedges back really, really hard and then installed chicken wire / stock fencing against the bare stems which the hedge has then grown back through - works fine for her escapologist. It's just that we have a long thin garden with about 40 metres of hedge on each side, so it could be an expensive solution!

Ideally I would like some sort of human-dog interface through which I could explain carefully and sympathetically to Woody why it is inadvisable to to be mooching around the neighbours' gardens - yes, even when there is a big pile of delicious fox poo to be had.... However, until someone comes up with one, I guess I'm stuck with prevention. :wink:

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 18 Jun 2014, 21:58

Ah, yes - the canine/human interface... Rest assured, if Woody is anything like Ianto, he'd sit and listen carefully to your explanation and admonishments, then be off again into the neighbour's territory with a breezy, "What-evs!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: (Otherwise known as 'Talk to the paw'!!)
Anne & Ianto x