Lucy's latest update...

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
mizmaz

Lucy's latest update...

Post by mizmaz » 01 Jul 2014, 22:00

Hi all..
I've had a chat with the vet tonight. I held it together pretty well I think. Lucy has a grade 2 mast cell tumour as I mentioned before. Further tests indicate its a high level (I confess I lost it a bit when she started saying this as she apologised for telling me via a phone call). She is seeking referral advice as regards chemo/radiotherapy and will get back to me asap. I have no idea what that will entail (naive and stupid to not ask I know).
It seems that thankfully we are not looking at a significant reduction in life span. She felt years as opposed to months. We have to be vigilant in checking her regularly and the vets will monitor her lymph glands.
It was difficult to explain to my children as I'm not an expert, and they are devastated that she's poorly. So as a compromise we have agreed to spoil her even more than we do now. :wink:
Her itching continues so we are changing her diet to fish and potato based. Wafcol and James wellbeloved have been suggested. She is having 6 antihistamines daily from tomorrow and we have to cut out all treats(that will be the tough bit!)
I am relieved that I found the lump when I did, but I'm scared of the outcome.
Just wanted to say thank you all so much for listening/reading my thoughts.
Next job is to buy some trimmers and tame Lucy's fluffy coat. I hope she will forgive me if I give her a haircut from hell!!!! :shock:
Lots of love mandie.xx
And licks and snuffles from Lucy too!!xx

BEE BEE

Re: Lucy's latest update...

Post by BEE BEE » 01 Jul 2014, 23:10

So sorry to hear your news Mandie our thought's are with you your family and also Lucy Bless her. Please keep us informed how she is getting on.

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 02 Jul 2014, 06:37

We are all thinking of you all! If you think of any questions you want to ask write them down as you think of them. You can then go and see the vet and they can answer them for you. It is very difficult to ask anything when you are presented with this news it all seems to go over your head.
The good news is that her lifespan looks as if it us not reduced so there is light at the end of the tunnel which you can work towards!
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

swardie

Post by swardie » 02 Jul 2014, 06:44

It's not surprising that you didn't ask all the questions you wanted to - that was a big bit of news to take in. Scooby 's idea of writing them down is a great idea. Dex and I are thinking of you all, and send big hairy snugs. X

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 02 Jul 2014, 10:58

Thinking of you all. So glad it's not a significant lifespan risk.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

mizmaz

Post by mizmaz » 02 Jul 2014, 22:30

Lucy had a trim today!
She stood beautifully in the garden as I nervously took the plunge. There were a variety of attachments and we worked through them all until we got to a reasonable length. She looks better than we expected and doesn't seem in anyway traumatised thankfully.
She really is a fabulous girl!!
Mandie.xx

Bid

Post by Bid » 03 Jul 2014, 00:36

Good girl Lucy! Good news that it's not life shortening :D

I use a fish & potato dry food as dog treats for the dogs I walk - they all think it's the bees knees! :lol:
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Madeleine

Post by Madeleine » 03 Jul 2014, 06:35

Good advice about writing things down, I do it all the time and it definately helps. Sad news about Lucy, you sound a lovely family so I'm sure she'll have the best care ever.
I sometimes think the not knowing is almost as bad as the diagnosis. You will find the strength I'm sure to carry on.
The diagnosis has a positive thread and treatments these days are so much better. Your vet sounds supportive also.
This forum is truly great for advice, it also helps to support you with the feeling of isolation that often happens when given this news.
You are not alone.
ImageImage

poppygreen

Post by poppygreen » 03 Jul 2014, 07:38

Our Oscar Green is still having ongoing treatment for mast cell. We don't know if it will ever be a cure, but we do know he is enjoying life and spreading the joy! It gets easier to live with... our early days with the news were emotional as we has only had him from the trust a week when the results from a lump came through. We have set backs, but Oscar does'nt! he just loves all the extra attention and treats! Good luck to you all, please feel free to message me if you feel the need. Love from Oscar, Poppy and family.

Jasper

Post by Jasper » 03 Jul 2014, 12:44

Gosh, what a harrowing time for you and your family.
Doodle hugs and licks all round I feel.

Jasper and Jo
xxx

stout

Post by stout » 03 Jul 2014, 17:46

I think I missed some of your posts while on holiday. Glad to hear the latest news is more positive. Big hugs and positive vibes from us and stout sends big doodly licks
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 09 Jul 2014, 21:39

Hi Mandie,
I'm just back from holiday so had missed your update until tonight... No way were you being 'naive and stupid' when talking to the vet - I'd've been a complete wreck and it's only natural in the circumstances. Good advice has already been given about writing down your queries... my vet is used to me now, producing a list and working through it!
Sending you and your family and of course Lucy, lots of love and support. Lucy was sent to you for a reason - she has brought your family so much love, and in turn you are all there to love, care for and protect her -
Anne & Ianto xx