getting another dog for seperation anxiety

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Rachelhodgkins

getting another dog for seperation anxiety

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 11 Nov 2014, 14:30

does anybody know anything about this

my labradoodle barks and cries when I leave her even for short periods like the school run I have tried treats, kongs, crating or having run of down stairs nothing helps was suggested to get another dog. did bit of research and does say that can help young dogs she is 6 months old we were planning on having another dog anyway put will it help?

donkeydoodlelulu

Re: getting another dog for seperation anxiety

Post by donkeydoodlelulu » 11 Nov 2014, 15:00

We did it the other way round. Our old dog Bruno had died and we always had 2 dogs. We rehomed Woody. Woody needing rehoming due to separation anxiety so he came to live with us. He and lulu instantly loved each other and Woody is fine as long as he is left with Lulu. However, I have heard from others that it doesn't always work but it was a great success for us.
Alison, Lulu and Woody x

Bid

Post by Bid » 11 Nov 2014, 20:01

That's a tricky one. It might help if you got an older dog, but rehoming an older dog can be stressful for the dog and the new dog could also start to get upset. A young pup is very likely to copy an older dog so I wouldn't have said getting a puppy would be a good idea. Has your dood got any doggy friends that could some round so you can see if it helps?

Have you had a look at "I'll Be Home Soon"? There is a lot in there that might be worth trying ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/14134185 ... 0&ff14=108
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 11 Nov 2014, 22:35

The problem with getting an older dog is finding one that is the breed,age and sex your after also can be hard to find dogs that can be rehomed with young children, many rescues seem to shy away from saying they ok with younger children. As like people they can probably tolerate their own family children but maybe not others lol.

we not going to make any rash decisions and maybe try starting from scratch with helping her cope on her own and looking to get a new puppy when she a bit older as last thing I would want (and neighbours) is 2 barking/howling dogs.

Another suggestion (as a friend of my husband uses) one of those anti bark collars don't know much about them any ideas?

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Nov 2014, 00:52

I would treat anti-bark collars with great caution. A nervous or worried dog is likely to be startled by them and the problem would be exacerbated. They have a tendancy to go off at loud noises, or if another dog barks, so the dog wearing it never actually learns why it happens.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 12 Nov 2014, 16:51

We started with Scooby very slowly. Both of us just went quietly out of the front door as if it were normal with no fuss. We went to the front of the house and then came back in and then gently built the time up very gradually. Even. Ow when we come back in Scooby is so so excited it's as if she hasn't seen us for months!
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 12 Nov 2014, 17:24

I bought an anti bark collar for Murphy about two years ago. It was awful and I felt so guilty as the first time it vibrated on his neck he was absolutely petrified. I took it off him immediately and put it on the kitchen windowsill where it went off every time there was a loud noise. I took it back the next day and got my money back.

On the subject of getting another dog for anxiety separation the lady I work with her niece did this as they have a sprocker who hates being on his own. They got another dog and he is now even worse. Apparently he cries all night to get into the cloakroom, they can't leave him at all and he cries all night to get into their bedroom.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

oakesr

Post by oakesr » 12 Nov 2014, 17:31

That Programme that was on a while ago, about separation anxiety (I forget the name) seemed to suggest that another dog being present generally had no effect on an anxious dog - one dog might still be upset, or both may be.

If you got a pup, I suppose the risk is that the pup would copy your current dog. The pup might observe your dog and believe that that is the way to behave when humans go out, or might think that there was something to be frightened of when you weren't there.

I'd concentrate on 'fixing' your existing dog first, so you don't find yourselves in a worse situation.
Rachel & Roma

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 12 Nov 2014, 18:05

Thanks for the advice people :D me and hubby had a good lengthy talk about it last night and I decided that another dog right now is not the best solution as I don't think I could take the stress of having 2 dogs that did this.

We occluded that this all got worse a couple of weeks ago when my son had a seziure and we had to go to hospital in an ambulance and I had no choice but to just leave the dog and I can imagine it was very stressful for her having strangers come into the house then they take us away and we just leave her. Now I think about it I feel so rotten but at the time my son health was at my foremost (we believe the dog knew this was going to happen-but this another story). So she was left for a good 3 hours until my husband popped back to let mother in law in. We have since dished out spare keys in case of an emergency again.

I have ordered the book on my kindle thanks bid will be having a good read later. Today just been shutting her up leaving for 5 min then coming back without fussing her I got my coat on few times then carried on and took it off then actually went out without one.she starts getting stressed when we get ready.

Her anxiety isn't that bad I can leave her downstairs and go up stairs without pineing or needing to follow me.

Also another stress factor maybe that a few doors down have got dogs outside (prob money making scheme :( ) they are new and all they do is howl and whimper and it does seem to stress her out sometimes.

We just gonna take it a step at a time and anti bark collar is at the very bottom of the list. I wouldn't strap a device to my kids to keep them quiet (thou tempting ) lol

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 12 Nov 2014, 18:06

Sorry peeps for the essay :shock:

poppygreen

Post by poppygreen » 12 Nov 2014, 18:11

Frozen peanut butter filled 'Kongs' help Poppy, the licking is soothing and by the time it's finished, it has helped settle that initial anxiety when leaving. It's a bit heavy on the calories, but as an occasional treat it worked.

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Nov 2014, 19:36

I hope your son is OK - it's interesting that you think she knew about it - some dogs are trained to warn about epilepsy, nad I expect you've seen Liz post on here about her amazing alert doodle Lola. Maybe the association that trained Lol might be able to work with you if your son is likely to have epilepsy.

Good luck - if you don't manage to work out something for her from the book, then getting a behaviourist in might be worth a try - separation anxiety is often something that can be worked through. :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 12 Nov 2014, 21:24

We do believe so as 5 mins before it happened she was constantly hassling him and licking his face him being only 6 this behaviour was totally out of character as she has learnt that the kids don't like that full on behaviour and she hasn't done it since. It convinced us that much when we woke up to the dog whimpering in the morning ( not something she normally does) I've never seen my husband move so fast....

Will be watching her closely and if it's something that Gomes about will make her all the more special to us

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 12 Nov 2014, 22:30

Rachel, it sounds extremely like your dog did know - that is precisely the sort of alerting behaviour looked for. And of course because the dog was worried about your son the people arriving, the feel of your worry, the disappearance of everyone, all will have added up.

If you can, perhaps keeping some sort of extra good treat about your person (in pocket, or a small bag) and in each room would be a good idea. If the dog does it again, reward it.

Also, if you would like the dog to be trained for this job, then contact a charity NOW. The waiting lists are very long, but owned dogs which are already alerting I have a feeling perhaps they would move more quickly up the list.

It would be invaluable, as just knowing to sit down somewhere safe with a small warning would be much safer for your child. Good luck!
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 12 Nov 2014, 23:08

Thanks liz I will definitely look into this! It's also been nice as I think my son deep downs acknowledges her behaviour as it's the last thing that he remembers before waking up to paramedics and over the past few weeks their relationship has really blossomed