Chewing her dew claws???

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
EstelleB

Chewing her dew claws???

Post by EstelleB » 15 Nov 2014, 00:04

Hello, does anyone have any experience of a dog chewing it's dew claws? Tia does it occasionally when she is lying down, and we can't figure it out.

Not sure if it is always the same one, but I've had a good look at both and can find no sign of soreness, anything stuck, or overgrowth. When she does it she really goes for it, as though she is trying to pull it off!

She just has regular front dew claws, no doubles or anything. Should I speak to the vet?
ImageImage

willow&kobi

Re: Chewing her dew claws???

Post by willow&kobi » 15 Nov 2014, 03:04

our Willow is always chewing her nails, not always the dew claws,my other dog use to do it too, she was a cockerpoo, so maybe its a poodle thing. :)

poppygreen

Post by poppygreen » 15 Nov 2014, 08:29

Poppy Green is always 'manicuring' her claws, she 'files' them on the patio and doormat, chews and licks them [I'm just waiting to see if she demands nail polish ...!] She has lovely claws and has never needed them clipped. Unlike her big brother who has to have mud cleaned out and clipped.

swardie

Post by swardie » 15 Nov 2014, 14:15

I'm reserving my comments for the mo, as Dex Dood has started to have the occasional chew, but he's been such a matt monster over the past few weeks, I'm not sure if it's his dew claws or the matts that he's chewing! I'm guessing that he's now at the point where his puppy coat is being swamped by his adult coat ( he's one next week) . But as an aside, dew claws have always creeped me out , as they're so wobbly when you touch them!! :o