Car crates/boot guards

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Florrie!

Car crates/boot guards

Post by Florrie! » 07 Jan 2015, 14:01

Hi everybody

I haven't posted for a long time, life seems to have been really busy lately.

I was just after some suggestions really and knew that I could come here for some advice :D
My brother is getting a new car, a peugeot 2008 active which both Florrie ( labrador sized) and Austin (small/medium australian doodle) will both go in. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, thoughts or suggestions on whether to invest in a crate or dog guard. I have a collapsable crate at the moment which they both can fit in together and Florrie can sit up in but its too tall for the new car. Peugeot make a dog guard for this particular model which blocks between the boot and back of the car. The only thing I'm concerned about is that they then wouldn't be secured properly, and also would then prefer to have a guard across the boot in case someone went into the back of us and the boot popped open.

I was wondering what others use in their cars and if anyone could suggest any particular websites or companies to look into.

Thanks
Tasha

Florrie Lorrie

stout

Re: Car crates/boot guards

Post by stout » 07 Jan 2015, 14:38

Hi Tasha, I was thinking about you (well to be honest, Florrie :oops: ) the other day, wondering how you were doing :D

I have a Honda CRV, we have a 'boot buddy' boot liner, with a sticky mat, then a bed on top. We secure stout in the back using a harness and a lead around the back head rest posty thing. We had a dog guard in our old saab (brought from ebay), but stout never tried to get out of the boot, so we didn't bother in the new car.
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 07 Jan 2015, 15:00

The guard isn't stop them getting out of the boot, it's to stop your loose dog becoming a missile to hit and kill you in a rolling car, for instance.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

jonb

Post by jonb » 07 Jan 2015, 15:14

Might be worth speaking to https://www.travall.co.uk

They dont have anything listed for this car on the website but if you contact them they may have more information. They seem to do stuff tailored to the car so its a good solid fit and look. I've been pondering getting the guard for along the back seats and boot divider for my Insignia Estate...only downside is they arent cheap.

Roker travels in the boot with a boot cover on the floor (that currently has most of the sand from Scarborough beach on it!), an old crate mat that he doesnt use as he stands up the whole time and i've got a cheap'ish generic guard thing i got from Aldi a while ago although not fitted as yet. The way the Insignia Estate is styled means the gap between the top of the back seats with three headrests and the roof is quite small and he cant fit through it.

Samdunn

Post by Samdunn » 07 Jan 2015, 15:29

Hi,
After much deliberating over this issue (2 adults, 4 children young enough to all need car seats, numerous bikes etc) we got a Honda FRV last year. Sam goes happily into the boot with boot liner and universal dog guard on that fits pretty good. Seems to be plenty space for him. Although Sam was happy with crate in house he never liked being in crate in car. In older car (Zafira) as a pup he used to sit on a seat with a seat belt dog lead attachment harness thing (nicely described :lol: ). He got too big and muddy for that!

jonb

Post by jonb » 07 Jan 2015, 17:13

Samdunn wrote:In older car (Zafira) as a pup he used to sit on a seat with a seat belt dog lead attachment harness thing (nicely described :lol: ). He got too big and muddy for that!
Tried Roker on the front and back seats mainly in my old Focus and a bit in my other halfs Corsa and he hated it with a passion. Didnt want to get in and would stand up getting thrown about! Since getting the estate to replace my Corsa he went in the boot and whilst he still insists on standing up no matter what (he did it for 2000 miles to France, round and back again...silly dog!) he obviously doesnt mind the car as he will jump in the moment the boot is open even if we arent actually going anywhere! Since tried him in the boot of the old Corsa which was far smaller, the new Astra hatchback we have and the brother in laws Insignia hatchback and he will happily get in, stand there and jump out at the other end!

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 07 Jan 2015, 17:18

We have just bought a focus estate, and purchased the back guard and divider from Travall.co.uk, it cost us £250.00 for both bits, and fits the car perfectly and keeps our dog secure in the boot, also came with a rubber mat for the floor.
ImageImage

jonb

Post by jonb » 07 Jan 2015, 17:23

Sarahdol75 wrote:We have just bought a focus estate, and purchased the back guard and divider from Travall.co.uk, it cost us £250.00 for both bits, and fits the car perfectly and keeps our dog secure in the boot, also came with a rubber mat for the floor.
That was the pack i was looking at for mine but i got a boot floor mat cheaper elsewhere so just need the other bits as and when. Could do with it as much for the divider if anything as i darent put anything in the boot with Roker and it start moving around and hurt him. The divider would mean i can use half the boot for luggage as well and not have to pile all the luggage on the back seat.

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 07 Jan 2015, 18:31

Hi,
we have a crate for our Poppydoodle. She is small/ medium and becomes very grumpy and sad if she doesn't have her own special room in the car. I wouldn't be without her crate but she has used it from day one and has never objected. :D
ImageImage

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 07 Jan 2015, 20:14

I have the travall guard in my Qashqai. I also had one previously for my Corsa. Can't recommend them highly enough :D
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

Alfitil

Post by Alfitil » 07 Jan 2015, 22:21

Until recently we had a ford estate and had a DogPod customised cage with a extension ( half of the rear seat was collapsed so the extension would fit, although this was detachable ) then our car and circumstances changed. As we now have a granddaughter and so a car seat for her was a priority we also changed out car to a vauxhaul estate.
We now have a customised dog gaurd behind the back seat which has escape hatch this is permently bolted in and a customised door gaurd (also permently bolted on) which has a stable door system useful for accesing dogs to put leads on, so should anything hit us from behind and I cannot open the boot I can get my dogs out the emergency hatch, we had these made by a local engineering company they are made from much stonger steel the normal outlets which sell dog guards and has been powder coated and the price was half what we were quoted by normal dog gaurd companies,

Bid

Post by Bid » 07 Jan 2015, 22:37

www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

mlums

Post by mlums » 07 Jan 2015, 23:59

I haven't been on the forum for ages as life just goes by so quickly but today we had a problem with Tilly and the new dogwalker's car and thought I would try the forum and weirdly the first post I see is about dogs in boots....
Tilly, who is 3 in April, travels in our cars, a Toyota Verso and Toyota Yaris, on the back seat with a harness plugged like a seatbelt and it has worked perfectly. She loves going in the car and the first opportunity she is in the car, even if we are just swopping cars around in the driveway. We have travelled miles, sometimes full of camping gear and she is very happy. Today the dogwalker, who we have been a walk with and visited her house, and is lovely, came to pick her up in her Volvo 'off-roader' type car. We weren't there but Tilly came happily to get her walking harness on and came out of the house with her. The trouble started when she tried to get Tilly into the boot. Till wouldn't have any of it, refused point blank, treats didn't work (and they work for everything bar fireworks!). Finally she had to lift all 30kg of Tilly into the boot at which point Tilly jumped out, barking furiously. She wasn't having any of it. The poor woman tried getting her into the front footwell but by that point she was not going in that car. The dogwalker ended up taking the other dog who was in a crate in the boot out and walking them both around the nearby park. Once she shut the boot and the doors of the car Tilly was fine and walked happily around the park. Tried once more after the walk but Tilly still wouldn't get in. We tried Tilly in the boot of our car tonight and had to lift her in. She stood cuddled into me, shaking like a leaf and wouldn't touch her favourite biscuit. We now have a big problem. I need a dogwalker, this one is lovely and takes them lovely walks but any of the local dogwalkers will need to take Tilly in their car or van so we need to get over this. Tilly hated her crate as a puppy and we got rid of it fairly quickly so I guess we maybe spoiled it for her and us! Does anyone have any suggestions at all? I can't leave her in the house all day without a walk. My parents will come down and let her out at lunchtime but she is too strong for them to walk her (they are hale and hearty 84 year olds) and she needs a walk anyway. She is such a good-natured, confident dog normally and not much fazes her, apart from fireworks so it is quite worrying. Any help gratefully received.

Bid

Post by Bid » 08 Jan 2015, 01:06

It could have started because Tilly was asked to jump into a car which already had a strange dog in it. Perhaps the dog walker could take the dog out, get Tilly on her lead then get both dog to get in.

I am a dog walker too, and asking a dog to get in a small space with an unknown dog is a really big ask. It helps to introduce the dogs out of the car first if possible.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 08 Jan 2015, 10:36

We have a solo on car so no where in the back to put Scooby. We bought car seat covers which protects the seat fabric and then a hammock arrangement which fits over the front and rear headrests. She has. Harness which is fitted to the baby seat anchors all of which seems to,work fine for us.
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry