New Puppy

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Helen Howie

New Puppy

Post by Helen Howie » 01 May 2015, 11:08

Hi, my name is Helen and we have recently become proud parents to our 10 week old chocolate miniature labradoodle whom we hae named Zack. Yesterday our vet weighed him and he was 6.70 kgs and she said that she didn't think he was going to be miniature!! His mum was a small chocolate lab and his dad a small miniature poodle....any ideas as to whether he is going to be miniature or medium? We are totally in love with him and is a complete sweetheart!!

HenrytheTux

Re: New Puppy

Post by HenrytheTux » 01 May 2015, 15:45

Henry is a 'small medium' and he weighed about 5kg at 10 weeks, 10.55kg at 17 weeks. My book says they are about 80% of adult size at 20 weeks. Hope that helps and congratulations on your new arrival!

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 01 May 2015, 18:30

lulu was from a white min pood and a choc lab and she is as black as the ace of spades - she is three and I am still waiting for some white but hey ho can't have anything

Anyway she is around 17" high and weights 13 kg if that's any help - not sure what she was when she was young as I didn't feed her properly (well she was a fussy eater another story) but she is okay now
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 01 May 2015, 19:14

Welcome Helen and Zack,

Any pictures?

George was meant to be a 'medium', he is now 27kg's and 24inches to the shoulder :lol: just more to love. We wanted a bigger dog though, and he is still quite a lot smaller than the standard doodles we meet around here!

o just to add, he was always around the same weight in KG's as he was age in weeks when little. So your pup will be nowhere near his size I wouldn't think. There is a chart showing age and weight/height around if you google it, it should come up.
Rhea & George

ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 01 May 2015, 23:28

Hi Helen & Zack, Welcome to the forum! I always say that Doodles are like a bag of Revels... you never know... etc., etc. :lol: :lol:
If Zack is an F1 he could be anything between a miniature poodle size and a Lab size, I would think... but as you say, you love him so what the heck...! Our lad was supposed to be a miniature but has turned out to be a medium (for which I was grateful as that was what I really wanted!) He's about 21" to the shoulder and should weigh around 18kgs according to our vet.
Life is an adventure when you have a doodle! :lol: Looking forward to seeing photos of your little treasure...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

kathiedoodle

Post by kathiedoodle » 02 May 2015, 06:20

Hi Zack and Helen, welcome to this useful, amusing and friendly forum. First, photos are a must, especially for those who get their "fix" at looking at doodle puppies because we cannot have a herd running around. Also Zack will grow every time he goes to sleep at night :shock: So have a good record of the changes for yourself. As Anne said(I have yet to master the art of the quote insert!) or as that great philosopher Forest Gump said " life and doodles are like a box of chocolates, you never know quite what your gona get" but it's all part of this wonderful mixed up breed. Holly is an Aussie mix, her mum was a white doodle with white standard poodle in her mix and Holly's dad was an handsome Aussie Sable dood. The whole litter was everything from white, cream, apricot, jet black and all with differing coats. Holly is 22" at the shoulder and weights 25kg most of that a thick fleece coat suitable for use as a wraparound hot water bottle :wink: Anyway enjoy your Zack go with the flow, wait for the fun to start. Off topic for those who follow the "move" we've all signed on the dotted line now await quick exchange and completion, our Derbyshire holiday is looking in doubt Sod's law it will be on the 15th!
ImageImage

Coco

Post by Coco » 02 May 2015, 07:40

Hi Helen, welcome to the forum!

Our Coco is a small medium Aussie doodle and currently weighs 6.4kg - she will be 18 weeks in Sunday. As the Aussie doods are pretty predictable I would say that Zack, in comparison, is likely to be nearer a standard size - certainly not miniature!

As others have said, you can never be sure how the origin labradoodles will turn out. They're all gorgeous though! Looking forward to to seeing a picture of Zack.

Maria x

Bid

Post by Bid » 02 May 2015, 13:34

Hi Helen - welcome from us too - looking forward to hearing all about the puppy antics in your house!

I reckon Zack will be a medium doodle (it takes a few generations to get a true miniature). At 10 weeks my big lad weighed 7.8kg so it sounds as though Zack will be smaller than him (as an adult he is 25" and 36kg so you may be glad about that!). My petite poodley girl Poppy was 6kg at 10 weeks, and as an adult she is 21" but only weighs 16.5 kg - a lot depends of whether they have the stockier lab build or the slender leggy poodle frame. There are no rules though - the mystery is all part of the doodle charm! :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 03 May 2015, 10:55

Hi Helen,

Welcome to you and Zack! I think half the fun of a dood is guessing how big or small they're going to be!

Like Dee Dee's Lulu, Phoebe had a small lab mum and a miniature white poodle dad. Lulu and Phoebe are the same age and similar in looks, but unlike Lulu, Phoebe stands 21 inches and weighs 21 Kg. You just never know what you're going to get!

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 03 May 2015, 16:47

My F1 mini dood (small lab mum and mini poodle dad like Zack) weighed 5.25 kg at 12 weeks. She now weighs 14.5kg and is about 17.5" tall.

My other large mini Aussie dood weighed 4.5kg at 10 weeks. He is now nearly 5 months. The breeder expects he will be about 17" high and about 15 kg when fully grown.

It sounds like Zach will be more than a minature. Even more to love......

Annie, Coco and Yoshi x

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 03 May 2015, 19:45

'Ere, kathiedoodle! Are you accusin' me o' plagiarism or somefin'?... :roll: (I always say that Forrest shoulda looked at the lid... :lol: )
Iffen you ever need to quote a tiny detail from my deathless prose ( :shock: ) - or anyone else's more sensible comments -just open 'Post a reply', scroll down to the bit you want, highlight it, and then click on the 'quote' box on the Post subject bar thingy (I'm so technical!) If you need to quote all of it, you can dispense with the highlighting and just click on 'quote'...
Anyhoo, yes, photos... we need photos!! :D :D :D (Oops, manners! Please...!)
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

kathiedoodle

Post by kathiedoodle » 04 May 2015, 14:40

Anne, you are my techno heroin ( no that's not how you spell it!) smell check has gone up the swanky River but the techno bit that replaces words with what ones I Pad thinks you want to say IS still working !! Well I'll leave you on a high knot , keep the pasts com in' stay loop, glove ya
:oops: vv
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 May 2015, 21:35

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I love this forum! :lol: Thank you kathiedoodle, I've 'had the face on' all day due to insurmountable (for me!) internet problems and you've just made me snort (with laughter, you understand!) :shock: :lol:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x
(Other recreational substances are available... including red wine, Cadburys chocolate, and what my OH refers to as 'Doodle p*rn'...... :oops: )