2nd dog plunge

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Rachelhodgkins

2nd dog plunge

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 17 May 2015, 20:04

We have been thinking of a new addition for a while now but have umm and arr about whet to go for a puppy. We came across a a spaniel as this is what we were looking for who is not a baby pup put but is 5 months old.my husband has been to see him and meet him, tomorrow we are all going to meet him.the night before and I'm kinda panicking about whether we are making good choice. We been thinking of another dog for ages and now lottie is 1 we thought it would be a good time and not being a young young puppy worked best for us in that we gotta lot of camping trips planned though we took lottie last year at 12 weeks old was great but hard work.I just want to make sure we have covered every Angle of owning 2 dogs

Ianto!

Re: 2nd dog plunge

Post by Ianto! » 17 May 2015, 21:34

Hi Rachel,
It's only natural to get the jitters... it's a big decision, after all; your dogs will be part of your family (hopefully) for 12-16 years or more...
The only thing I would say is to be guided by your intuition. Don't be swayed by the dog's position... you have to be sure that the dog is the right one for you, not just by your sympathy for it. There are advantages to having an older pup (hopefully the house-training has been sorted, etc.) but on the other hand, has it learned things that you wouldn't necessarily want it to?
Anyway, I hope that everything goes well, and that this is the pup for you. Just doing be afraid of saying 'No' if it doesn't seem right - your family has to come first...
Good Luck, and keep us up-dated -
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Bid

Post by Bid » 18 May 2015, 08:16

What sort of spaniel? I'm sure you have thought all about this, but do remember that spaniels are working dogs - everyone knows now that collies need to be worked and kept busy - the same applies to spaniels! I walk a lot of spaniels (it's a rural area so spaniels & labs are in the majority) and the ones that work or who do a lot of training/agility etc are cracking little dogs, but the others are completely manic!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 18 May 2015, 08:32

Test them together very carefully. Spaniels often don't like doodles and even though they can be lively dogs too, they don't always want to play with doodles. My dad has three and two ignore her and won't play and one goes for her because it is fiercely loyal to my dad and can't stand her making a fuss of him. (She loves him and goes mad when she sees him).
Of the ones we meet on walks, only the odd one wants to play doodle style. I am sure people have them together and they are fine but check out your dood and the new one very carefully.
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Rachelhodgkins

Post by Rachelhodgkins » 18 May 2015, 10:49

He is a cocker spaniel bench type, I know that Doesn't have much take on personality as they are both high energy types. We have owned a spaniel before but a English springer. We will Base what activities we do with him on his personality if he has strong working drive we will find outlets for this.

Lottie my current dog is a miniature doodle so she is similar size and she does have 3 cocker spaniel friends who seem to get on good.people often mistake my doodle for a spaniel mix.

canteron

Post by canteron » 18 Jun 2015, 13:58

Hi, when we got our 2nd dog labrador, like you I had jitters just before committing. I mentioned them to my husband and said 'what will we do with 2 dogs' and he said 'have twice the fun'. He was wrong, its more like 4 times the fun!

Seriously, having 2 dogs is a lot less portable, when we had one we could drop him round to peoples and they were happy to take him, but no one really wants 2 extra dogs. Apart from that, its all good!