Dogs and swimming

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Sarahdol75

Dogs and swimming

Post by Sarahdol75 » 18 Jun 2015, 22:39

We have been trying for a while to get Harley to go a little further in to the water every time we go to the beach or the waterfalls, as he would only go as far as the top of his legs, and just stop.

Yesterday we went to Kingsbury water park, and he gets sooo excited round water and runs straight into it, well, he didnt even check the depth of the water this time, just jumped straight off a platform, and straight under he went, have no idea how deep it was, but he came bobbing back up and started swimming, he looked like a drowned rat :lol: :lol:

We couldnt keep him out of it after that.
ImageImage

suebedo

Re: Dogs and swimming

Post by suebedo » 19 Jun 2015, 07:35

That sounds like Fozzie learning to swim. I walked him round a lake most days and he always paddled but never went out of his depth. One day, another dog owner threw a ball for her dog and he went after it. From that day on he loved to swim.

sunshine57

Post by sunshine57 » 19 Jun 2015, 09:57

Good for him I love watching a dog enjoy the water unfortunately for me my Beau even jumps over puddle he seems to hate water :lol:
Sue & Beau

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 20 Jun 2015, 09:45

Murphy is water mad to the point that he will lie down in puddles if he can. He swims and swims and swims when we go to the beach, I actually worry how far he swims out sometimes, but he just loves it.

He will also launch himself off river banks to get into the water which we have to really watch him with just in case!

He jumped in front of a moving tripper boat once down in Cornwall, I seriously thought the boat would hit him, but luckily he out swam it.

You can always tell when he's been swimming as the next day he is reluctant to jump up, so he obviously aches a bit afterwards, I think that's the hauling himself up the river bank or jumping over waves that does that though rather than the actual swimming.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

scooby Dood

Post by scooby Dood » 20 Jun 2015, 20:07

Scooby hates water! She will pqddle up to her knees but that's it!
Scooby Dood, Andrea & Kerry

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 22 Jun 2015, 23:21

Lola's even worse than that, she loathes it so much she won't even dip a pinkie toe.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

marymuffin

Post by marymuffin » 23 Jun 2015, 09:06

Dexter adores water, swimming, dive bombing, dashing through ditches,streams or playing with his ball in the sea. He can be walking along with us when all of a sudden like a homing pigeon he runs through a thicket and the tell tale whoosh tells us he has found water! We very rarely take him home dry. He has ,however, started to not bother with mud holes, can't swim in those! H and D

jonb

Post by jonb » 23 Jun 2015, 09:29

Sounds similar to how Roker learnt to swim.....we were walking alongside a small river bit that runs into a local reservoir near us and he was trying to lean in for a drink. He leaned in a bit to far and dropped straight in and went under. Swam straight back to the side and jumped out, shook himself down and carried on as if nothing had happened.

emski

Post by emski » 25 Jun 2015, 08:56

May I ask a question for all you doodle owners who's dogs love the water?

I'm going through the same thing at the moment with my 8 month doodle; she's happy paddling but still isn't quite sure what water is and is rather uncertain about it all! However, I'm sure we'll have the same thing one day where she'll surprise herself and end up in there fully! :lol:

I wondered how doodles ears fare with swimming excursions? Surely when they dive into the lake or stream, the water must go rushing into their ears?!

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 13 Jul 2015, 16:57

OMG, now Harley has found out he can swim, I cant keep him out of the water, he will just jump in the canal, even though I tell him not to.

We went to Beddgelert at the weekend, and my he didnt want to get out of the river, he was swimming, playing, jumping, walking for about 2 hours, and still had loads of energy afterwards when we got home. He still wanted to play with his ball.

We got home last night and he just crashed, and he hasnt moved far at all today, apart from move from his bed to the cold floor, to the sofa, back to his bed.

Is this usual after a lot of swimming????
ImageImage

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 13 Jul 2015, 17:22

Personally emsk, I prefer lola out of the water - I hate seeing dogs leaping in when the river is in flood or running fast as so many get in trouble, and not going in means her ears are safe from ear infections, plus she won't get dirty from polluted water etc. the one time she fell in she smelled so much it took 13 washes to get the smell of river after out (admittedly i do have a good sense of smell!).
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 13 Jul 2015, 21:52

Re swimming and ears - there are ways round it!

www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 14 Jul 2015, 10:16

Phoebe loves water and puddles, but she likes to be able to walk in. She will go out of her depth and swims beautifully, but only if she can walk in on her terms! She won't ever jump off a bank so if there's no easy path in, forget it. She's great at the beach as, obviously, she can walk in, and will swim out after a ball, dive through waves and body surf in to shore. I love to watch her!

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 15 Jul 2015, 00:14

Ianto learned to swim at hydrotherapy, so is a little over-confident sometimes..... :roll: But he doesn't like to go in anywhere that he has to jump in (unless it's when he escapes the shower at hydro, dashes up the pump cupboard and launches himself into the pool... :shock: I guess that's because he knows there's a safe way out... :roll: )

Yes, they can get problems with their ears; my vet advised we should never let our doods go in water due to this... (he obviously forgot to tell the doods...) So we always clean and dry their ears post-water expeditions. :D

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

linny

Post by linny » 15 Jul 2015, 11:58

Jethro loves the water and will swim at every opportunity but Ambrose is the complete opposite.
He will go into the sea and lie down in the shallows and he will venture into rivers but only if it's chest deep.
We have seen him swim (very poorly) when he miss judged the depth of water....he did get himself out but was clearly frightened by the experience.
I do wonder if his tail might be the problem??? he has a teapot tail that curls over his back and doesn't really extend so I wondered if "lack of rudder" might affect his ability to swim?
Anyone have any thoughts on this? (or is my Ambrose just a whimp :roll: )