Quirky dogs

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Coco and Annie

Quirky dogs

Post by Coco and Annie » 13 Jul 2015, 08:15

Morning everyone!

Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

Just curious to see if any of you seasoned dog owners can shed a little light on my doggies' behaviour.

At feeding time, Coco is at one end of the room and Yoshi is at the other. Yoshi is a real gulper and greedy guts so I have to protect Coco's food from him as he'll make a bee line for any left overs when he has finished his.

Anyhow, when I put the food down and tell them to wait for the command to take, Coco stares at me expectantly, while Yoshi hunches over his bowl, starring at his food, before diving in when the command is given.

What is your take on this? Is one just more obsessed with food then the other?

Annie, Coco and Yoshi x

dexysback

Re: Quirky dogs

Post by dexysback » 13 Jul 2015, 13:06

Dexter is the same eats he's food that quick ,then when he's finished he stands over the cat while she eats ,and as soon as she walks away he's in there ,he would eat all day if he could .I tell him when he's eating to go slowly and he's slows down a bit .
ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 13 Jul 2015, 22:28

This post made me smile :)

Hi Annie, hope your day was good and as for the weekend , well toooo short as usual!
Could be one enjoys food more than the other. Do you think it may have something to do with Coco being your first dog and so likely there was more one on one time spent with her hence more eye contact.

I often used to feed mine in different rooms so there an element of less competition and none of them keeping one eye on "who's going to steal my food" whilst eating. Not saying it would slow greedy guts down either :D

Ps you could,d try putting Coco's down first and have his in your hand and wait til he looks at you before putting his down. Bit more self control for him. May have to be quick should he make a dive for Coco's though!!

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 14 Jul 2015, 10:24

Could have something to do with their genes. Labs are notoriously greedy and will gulp down any old thing. Poodles are more refined and can even be finicky eaters. Maybe you've got one of both :lol: :lol:

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 15 Jul 2015, 00:04

Hi Annie,

I've definitely noticed a difference in my two... Although I did have to work on Iant as a puppy, I put his food down and say Leave, three times before saying Okay... and he stares at his bowl as if to say - You expect me to eat this??
Wyre, on the other hand, came from the breeder already trained to Sit - he used to leap into his puppy pen and Sit immediately. I've build on that by saying Leave (x3)... he stares at me expectantly, and the minute I say, Okay, he's in there, hoovering...
I feed Ianto first, now at opposite ends of the room but at first, with the pup in his pen. The pup knows his food is coming next, so doesn't pester for Ianto's. But as soon as they finish, they go to each other's bowl to check them out and give them a quick lick...

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Spilsted

Post by Spilsted » 15 Jul 2015, 13:15

Hi. We were told by our breeder that Australian doodles tend not to be ruled by their stomaches and that's true for our boy Gregor. We can put his breakfast out and often he won't touch it for hours. He is just a 'grazer'. The only time he tries to bolt it down is when we are getting ready to go for a walk, it's as if he thinks another dog will break in and eat his food when we are out and about.

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 16 Jul 2015, 14:30

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone. Ironically the greedy guts is the Aussie and the fussier one is an F1 who looks more Labrador like!!

They have so much character I sometimes forget they're dogs!!

X