Scooby frightened of new puppy! Advice

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
J RALPH

Scooby frightened of new puppy! Advice

Post by J RALPH » 23 Jul 2015, 07:10

Hi

We collected our 9 week old shih Tzu puppy yesterday and I was worried about Scooby, our 3 year old Labradoodle, biting her or growling etc but in fact he seems frightened of her. He initially went bounding over and Pepper (the puppy) rolled on her back and started squealing at him. Scooby then ran off with his tail between his legs and hasn't been by her since.

No aggression so that's good but Im worried about how Scooby feels now.

Thanks
Julie

casa42

Re: Scooby frightened of new puppy! Advice

Post by casa42 » 23 Jul 2015, 08:05

Give Scooby some time. Coco ignored our new puppy for a week but they are now playing together. I think a new puppy is a bit of a shock x
Cate and Coco

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 23 Jul 2015, 08:14

I don't have any experience with this tbh but I think I'd just treat it like any other fear. I expect your worried and bringing a new pup into a family is a big thing. Scooby is probably picking up on your worry and the only thing that's changed is this pup has arrived so that must be the thing to worry about. I think perhaps try to be calm, let scooby see you play with the pup to see that it's ok and make fuss and play with scooby when the pup is nearby but fenced off/crated. Praise and treat scooby for any positive moves towards the pup.

Let us know how you get on xx
ImageImage

taffyjack

Post by taffyjack » 23 Jul 2015, 10:12

Hi Julie,

Our Olga ignored Lottie when she arrived a couple of months ago. She was so tiny I think she didn't know what the hell to make of her!
Only lasted a few days though, Lottie was soon jumping all over Ol and they are now best of sisters.
Olga even looks after the little un in the park when the other dogs play a bit too boisterous with Lottie, she stands in between them and barks.
I'm sure your two will settle down together soon, try not to worry..........

ImageImage

Sue, Olga and Potty Lottie xx
ImageImage]

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 23 Jul 2015, 11:24

Hi Julie,

Congratulations on the new puppy, by the way! Are there photos? Have I missed them? :D
I'm not an expert in dog behaviour by any means, but I have heard that puppies will squeal loudly in order to let older dogs know that they're only babies and not to hurt them... It sounds as if this is what your new pup did, and Scooby is just making sure that he doesn't... It can take a while for things to settle down when a newbie is introduced - after all, we can't explain to our first dog that a new puppy is coming to live with them... :( Ianto put up with Wyre, but you could see that he was waiting for the incomer to go back home after his 'visit'...
We made sure that the pup had a few safe places to run to if he felt it was all a bit much (he liked it under the sofa!) And Iant had his own sofa to 'hide' on if the pup was getting up his nose (though that only lasted until the pup managed to scramble up...)
They will get used to each other - when Ianto was still being allowed off lead (that's another story!) he used to get between little Wyre and any dog that was bothering him... He was like, this is my little bro' and iffen anyone is gonna push him around, it's gonna be me!! :wink:

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Jul 2015, 23:33

Has Scooby got somewhere he can go where the puppy can't get? They do need tht and it makes them feel happier about the pup I find.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron