Fear becomes reality.

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Helen & Rigby

Fear becomes reality.

Post by Helen & Rigby » 26 Jul 2015, 17:09

One of my fears became reality today.

You remember my complete wobbly? Well today hubby took Rigby for a walk at the country park, I was at home. A powerful looking bull dog boxer type came flying over at speed, Rigby was overwhelmed and told it to go away, no contact made. The dog went for him, it had hold of his back leg and rig was screaming and crying! Hubby couldn't get the dogs jaws open so leapt on it to make it let go. By the time the owner arrived hubby had spilt them up. He said the owner seemed shocked and apologised. Hubby didn't realise the extend of the damage at that point.

Rigby has puncture wounds, grazes and bruising on his back leg and man bits. He is currently at the vets being patched up £800 + thank goodness for insurance!

Hubby says he's fine after the initial shock, we miss our boy, and I never want to take him out again!

Can you get doggy armour???
ImageImage

Coco and Annie

Re: Fear becomes reality.

Post by Coco and Annie » 26 Jul 2015, 18:15

Gosh, I'm sorry to hear this. It must be have been very worrying for you. Your husband is a real hero! I don't know what to suggest, apart from trying to walk with another dog to form a pack scenario?

I hope this incident doesn't put you off walking with your best friend.

Annie, Coco and Yoshi x

Bid

Post by Bid » 26 Jul 2015, 18:34

Poor Rig :-(

I don't suppose your OH got the name of the owner did he? It is defintiely worth mentioning it to your local dog warden, and asking other dog walkers if they know the dog/owner. That dog shouldn't be allowed to be off lead unmuzzled, and if you can find out some details and get something sorted you will be happier out walking.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 26 Jul 2015, 19:50

Oh no!! So sorry to hear this, Helen... poor little guy. Your husband was a complete hero, respect to him, wonderful man!
Do you think that maybe, and as you well know, I'm not an expert in these matters - but, could it be that as an entire male, Rig was being targeted by another entire male?? I know that a very nasty bull-breed dog around here took against Iant, and the owner asked if he was still entire. (Yes, I know, it wasn't my dog at fault... but...) Ianto was still entire at the time. And the nasty brute knew it...
I do know that you want to leave Rig his bobbles, but wonder if it may make him vulnerable to this kind of attack? Iant tends to pass under the radar of big nasty entire types nowadays... (finger crossed, of course!) Sorry, I don't mean to add to your concerns - and forum members with a much better grasp of dog behaviour will be better able to reassure you on these matters... :oops:
I hope that Rigby is on the mend very soon, and back with his loving family, with no long term effects. Give your husband a hug from me, Iant and Wyre - he was amazing, I've seen dog teeth up close and personal...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

annabell22

Post by annabell22 » 26 Jul 2015, 21:10

Hi Anne

I've never heard this. You seem to say that neutered dogs ate less likely to be targeted? Why is this? Monty is neutered and I would love to think that this means he is less likely to be put upon or end up being attacked?? Mind you the first sign of any dominance and he's over on his back in a flash. What a softy.

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 26 Jul 2015, 23:23

It does make a difference. Females are less likely to be attacked, too.

The other thing that can make a difference are eyes - make sure your dood's eyes are not covered with hair. Dogs read intent and moods in each others' eyes - and also, in the way a dog is not looking at them. If they can't tell where a dog is looking, they are more likely to attack. This is particularly important with black dogs.

Hope he feels better really soon - and that it doesn't affect the way he feels about other dogs, what a shame.

Do contact the warden.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 27 Jul 2015, 11:05

Hubby didn't get any details I'm afraid, I will ask around when I get back to the park.

I told hubby he is amazing but he says it was just instinct. Bless him.

I'm really unsure what to do bobble wise now. I really wanted him to keep them because he has a nervous temperament. And because of other things I've read. But I don't want him to be a target. :cry:

Thanks for reminding me about his eyes Liz, I'll trim him when he's feeling better.
ImageImage

Martina daly

Post by Martina daly » 27 Jul 2015, 15:32

Ozzy is an Australian doodle and was vasectomised when we got him.We had been attending a local doggy fun park for months with all breeds of dogs playing(all neutered male and female) with no issues.On one visit the park owner wanted us to take Ozzy to a different play area than usual as there was an intact male already there,as we walked by that particular dog ran to the fence and barked at Oz very aggressively and Oz reacted to him.I 've no doubt that this was because Oz was still producing scent and the other dog had smelt him even among 30-40 others.We decided to have him neutered a month ago for his own protection,we have been back at the park once since the op, the other dog was in a different area but this time didn't react.I hope this helps.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 27 Jul 2015, 16:13

ALL POWER TO THE HERO THAT IS YOUR HUSBAND

It is my fear also, and it is reinforced when Lulu sees a certain boxer and a certain spaniel. I have no idea why. Lulu has been spayed and she seems to be the aggressor with tbese two dogs. Normally she is a submissive and lays down and rolls over with dogs that she doesn't know or are bigger than her but with these two certain dogs I have no idea what sets her off. The spaniels lady laughs and sort of shrugs and is nice but the boxer lady gives me daggers. It is really hard as I don't know when I will see them and Lulu is totally excellent of the lead. They both live on our estate so the park is the place we all go to.

I seem to be able to get control over Lulu as I believe she frightens herself. So I know I am not able help to you but there are all sorts of scenarios!

Lots of cuddles for Rigby and hope he is well soon
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Sarahdol75

Post by Sarahdol75 » 27 Jul 2015, 17:52

OMG how awful for you, this is my fear aswell, I am very anxious when Harley is off the lead, and I see another dog approaching that I dont know, I always try and put him back on the lead, a few times, he has run off to say hello, but even if they bark at him, he runs off, but it frightens the life out of me.
ImageImage

Bren

Post by Bren » 27 Jul 2015, 19:50

OMG how arwful for you well done to your hubby. I do hope that you find out who is responsible for this. You do need to report it to the dog warden, you may find you might not see this person for a week or so as they may be keeping a low key. I do hope you and especially the dood will be ok.

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 27 Jul 2015, 20:32

Thank you all for your replies.

Martina, I'm wondering if it's to do with his bits. I did really want to keep them because I felt that was the right thing. But if there is any chance that it makes him a target I guess they will have to go. It makes me feel sad, I'm not sure why, I have no intention of breeding him.

That's strange Dee, it makes you wonder what lulu knows?! I told my hubby he is amazing but he doesn't believe me! He is a wonderful man, so sweet and supportive bless him.

I know what you mean Sarah, I tend to be the opposite though, I let rig off normally, because I know he can run then and he's fast. I feel like if he's on a lead he's a sitting duck. Then again if that had been the case on Sunday the outcome would have been much worse. It's hard to know what the best thing is to do.

Bren, hubby went at a much later time than we normally go, he'd not seen the dog before.

Rig has perked up in the last few hours. He's had dinner, a trot around the block and 1's and 2's so I'm happier. He just managed a bark at something and hubby cheered! That's was the first peep he'd heard out of him today!

I'm trying not to think about going back to the park!!
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 28 Jul 2015, 00:14

There is usually a lot more to it than whether or not a dog is intact - from your description the boxer came running up at speed so probably didn't know that Rig wasn't neutered, however it probably accounts for Rigs response - most neutered lads would have given non-threatening signals rather than responding in kind.

Have you considered getting the chemical castration for him to see what the effect would be? It would be better than doing something permanent just to see if it helps.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 28 Jul 2015, 07:42

Thanks Bid. This behaviour of rigs, telling other dogs to go away is a fairly recent thing, in the last 6 months or so. It's only the dogs that are really full on and he's not aggressive at all. But I think it might be getting him into trouble. Do you mean that neutering him would mean he would be less likely to do that? He never used to do it and never used to have any bother. Maybe he's not as nervous as I thought. Well, he is with people, not with dogs, he's friendly.

I will do some more research and ask the vet this morning when we go for his check up about the chemical castration.

I have so many questions! I just want what's best for rig.
ImageImage

HenrytheTux

Post by HenrytheTux » 28 Jul 2015, 14:18

So sorry to read this, it is so awful when something like it happens :( Glad to hear he's feeling better now.
It sounds silly but there are a few aggressive dogs around where we live so I always make sure to have a full bottle of water in my hand when walking Henry. A few times when dogs have gone for him I've chucked the water over them and it has shocked them enough for me to get Henry away. I know it might not always work but it does make me feel safer. I also take two mega high squeaky balls and have been known to squeak them to get the other dog's attention, which helps interrupt any attack too.
I'd definitely talk to the dog warden too.