Update on Douglas

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Pauline in Brighton

Update on Douglas

Post by Pauline in Brighton » 19 Aug 2015, 16:19

Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted about Douglas, who is recovering from fibrocartilaginous embolism, otherwise known as fce or spinal stroke, which happened twice in May (or once, with a two week gap in between, still not sure). Well ....it's a long haul, with hydrotherapy, water treadmill, physiotherapy and home physio. - we've been kept busy with several appointments a week, and I don't know what we'd have done if we didn't work from home. Douglas still can't climb stairs (and fell from the top to the bottom of a steep flight of stone steps because he thought he could). However, he is much more active, can sit and stand, and kind of run, with a sort of hoppity skippety head nodding gait. He's getting more stamina and seems cheerful. We so long to see him running freely in a field, but we're a way from that as yet. It's been really horrible, but as I write this I realise how far on he's come.

Also, I thought I'd say, as no-one on here seemed to have heard of fce (we certainly hadn't before all this) that both the physio and the hydrotherapist are treating, or have treated, a number of fce labradoodles, so it might be a good idea to familiarise yourselves with the signs. Having said that, it's not common, but mostly happens to big, often male dogs between the years of 3 and 6.

Hope you're all well.

Poll

Molmil

Re: Update on Douglas

Post by Molmil » 19 Aug 2015, 18:24

Lovely to hear he's making steady progress, with all your help and love. Our cat who had a spinal injury always walked like she'd been drinking afterwards and couldn't jump up anymore. She still had a good life and worked around it. Never worked out how she managed to get up on the bench, but she did! Never regretted the time we gave her to heal and was always so glad we didn't rush into a decision after her injury.

You've done a great job helping him so far. He may end up with a different life to the one before, but he'll be happy!

Lesly with Molly and Rosa xx

Pauline in Brighton

Post by Pauline in Brighton » 19 Aug 2015, 19:18

Apologies to Glenda, who posted about her little dog who had two spinal strokes!

suebedo

Post by suebedo » 19 Aug 2015, 22:27

So glad he is making slow but steady progress. Will keep this in mind having a large male doodle who is nearly 3.

Keep getting better Douglas!

linny

Post by linny » 20 Aug 2015, 19:38

I mirror everyone else's sentiments , it's great to read your update and know that Douglas is making slow but steady progress :D
I too will keep FCE in mind . I was unaware of spinal stroke but have experienced "normal" stroke in dogs. My old BT Snew had quite a debilitating stroke but with lots of T.LC...physio and medication did make an acceptable recovery (over a period of a year) and lived to the very old age of 19 :!:
Do keep us updated and give Douglas a gentle hug from us..

Bid

Post by Bid » 20 Aug 2015, 21:00

Glad Dougal is progressing! :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 20 Aug 2015, 21:14

Aw, sending hugs xx
ImageImage